PDA

View Full Version : Changing Oil

RVGuy
12-06-2002, 11:06
I was preparing to change the oil when I noticed a potential for a real mess so I need help from those of you who have already changed the oil in your Duramax.

I have the Fumoto valve installed so that isn't the issue. The issue is the angle of the oil filter. It appears that when the oil filter is removed that there will be residual oil that can drain out upon removal of the oil filter.

But then I noticed a threaded "plug" that has an allen head where the filter "mounting" is located that could be another drain plug.

What about it? Do I go ahead and remove the filter after only draining the oil from the pan or do I also remove this other plug?

Thanks for the help.

Diesel_Lawyer
12-06-2002, 12:39
I loosen the filter with a Craftsman strap wrench until i can turn it with my hand. Then I put a bucket under filter and slowly loosen until a steady stream of oil drips into bucket. After a while I camn remove filter without spilling a drop.

I never removed that little drain plug.

Hope this helps.

zip
12-06-2002, 13:16
RVGUY-- After draining the pan,I like to pierce the bottom of the filter with a Phillips screwdriver and let the oil drain out before loosening the filter. While the oil drains, I lube the grease fittings and lay there WISHING I had $ for all the mods I read about on
thedieselpage!
:cool:
zip

RVGuy
12-06-2002, 13:47
WOW, Zip that's great idea...one that never occurred to me. Seems like this would be the least messy way to do it.

Anyone else have a method that works for them?

Hoss
12-06-2002, 17:30
I crack the filter loose with a wrench then slip a gallon zip-loc bag over the filter and unscrew it by hand... never spill a drop and after I drain the filter, I lock the filter in the bag for disposal. Works for me :D

CCR91
12-06-2002, 22:51
Most oil pans are large enough where both the pan and filter will drain into it. Just remove the plug and loosen the filter and both will drain into the pan.

Corey

Wally
12-07-2002, 06:47
If you do it right and are patient you will never get any oil past the flange of the filter. Just do as every body said and loosen the filter until oil runs out of the flanged area. Once it stops dripping loosen the filter some more. By now it will rock back and forth on the connector and you can tilt it up to get some more oil out of it. Unscrew it the rest of the way, tilt the bottom down as it comes off of the threads, lower it into the drain pan, turn it over and let it finish draining. This is the least messy part of changing the oil. Keeping oil off of the skid plate is another story.