PDA

View Full Version : additives vs. full tank

rtquig
12-06-2002, 16:03
As everyone knows, it is smart sense to keep a full tank in the winter to keep condensation to a minimum. So for everyone that adds to their fuel, what do you do? Wait until your tank is low then put in the additive, or keep topping off your tank every couple days? I like to keep a full tank when possible, but putting in additives every few days doesn't seem feasable. So what is a good balance?

DmaxMaverick
12-07-2002, 04:47
I don't think the condensation is as much a problem on these newer trucks. The fuel tanks are plastic. although the plastic tanks will not eliminate the issue, it should minimize it. I think that frequent filling would pose more of a problem than condensation in a half full tank (half empty, for you pessimists). The fuel in the tank is heated while the engine is running, which will distill the moisture. The fuel cap on my '01 is vented, so, theoretically, the moisture should exit the tank.

Under normal conditions, we are not talking about much water at all. If the truck sits for a long period (days or weeks), then I would suggest some action, but none if you drive it often.

rtquig
12-07-2002, 07:39
So, in other words, it's alright to let the fuel run down in the tank in the winter?

Kennedy
12-07-2002, 09:26
I try not to go below 1/2 tank. 1/4 at the lowest. If you are driving on a trip, it isn't such an issue if you fill up before shutting down for extended time periods. A plastic can will frost up when brought into a warm building, so YES you will "make" moisture in your tank. Additives are a must and have been discussed at length so I won't beat a dead horse.