PDA

View Full Version : change oil light??????

buelldude
08-26-2002, 19:06
Hey,
Well here is a new one to me, I just did a oil change at 5031 and it is now 7990 and the light is on to do another??? I do a small amout of towing(camper is 3650, with the bikes in the camper another 1000)and its only once a month. So why would the light come on so soon? I live in the city but when I'm on the road its non stop to the job site. If you have any ideas please feel free to call me a dumb a$$ but I don't think its time to change the oil again!

johns
08-26-2002, 19:29
The computer is set to let you know at 7500 miles to do an oil change. It doesn't know you did an oil change unles you reset it. To reset the computer you must turn the ignition switch to ON and pump the accelerator 3 times within a 5 second period. Supposed to do that whenever you do an oil change to reset the computer.

FISHDMAX
08-26-2002, 19:29
The dealer probably did not reset your computer at your last oil change.

bluenote
08-26-2002, 19:35
The reset most likely didn't happen, and once done, should take care of your problem. However, I don't believe that the change oil light is set for a specific mileage (i.e. 7500), but takes into account miles, tow/haul usage, engine rpm's, and other factors before coming on.

buelldude
08-26-2002, 21:01
I'll reset it! Thanks. I did reset it on my first change but didn't do it on my second.

[ 08-26-2002: Message edited by: buelldude ]</p>

Allison Jettester
08-27-2002, 11:31
I have 8400 miles on mine. Even though I have changed my oil 4 times since new, I never have reset the computer for oil change and have never got an oil change light. I have, however, changed my Juice settings many times. Let's see, turn ignition on, put in Drive, press throttle to floor three times--Hmmmmm.

Joe

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: Allison Jettester ]</p>

Black Dog
08-27-2002, 11:43
The "change engine oil" light flashes to let you know that it has been reset properly.

Allison Jettester
08-27-2002, 11:49
Black Dog,
Not mine. I still have version 3.0 and it doesn't have that function. What I'm getting at is that we are probably resetting the computer's calculation for changing the oil everytime we change settings for the Juice--unless Edge changed something in later versions and didn't say anything--as they have been pretty secretive of what each version changes. In other words, everytime we set a Juice level, we are telling the ECM that we just changed the oil.

Joe

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: Allison Jettester ]</p>