PDA

View Full Version : power discrepancy from truck to truck

chagburg
12-06-2002, 21:01
I thought my truck, 2002 k2500 crew cab with allison, was low on power, so I drove a 2003 just like mine. I timed mine, as best I could with a watch, from 40 to 70 mph and it took about 10 seconds. I timed the 2003 from 40 to 70 mph and it took about 15 seconds. I couldn't believe there was that much difference from truck to truck. My truck had 3000 miles on it and the new one had 500 miles on it. Why is there so much difference from truck to truck? I wonder how many people are low on power and don't realize it.

Nels
12-06-2002, 21:37
With those low miles, possibly the learning mode of the transmission plays a role (assuming there is an Allison in both). Just a guess.

Wally
12-07-2002, 06:33
Naw, I doubt the tranny has any affect on this. My current truck is complete dog compared to the old one and all of the other ZF equipped trucks I have driven. Dealer won't even investigate because it hasn't thrown any codes, therefore there is nothing wrong with it. :mad:
Some of problem was the mounting of the throttle pedal. I was only getting at best 65% of the throttle because for some reaason this pedal was mounted so close to the firewall that it was catching on the driveline hump. Added a 1/4" spacer and got all of the throttle back but it still doesn't run right. I have a cylinder or cylinders that do not fire as hard as the rest. I can hear it and feel it but once again it hasn't thrown a code so it's fine. I probably should have kept the first truck with the Ally.
BTW one of our company trucks just up-chucked an Allison out of warranty. Dumped a lot of fluid out of the bell housing. Don't have the final bill yet but they are estimating 3K. Ouch!!

[ 12-07-2002: Message edited by: Wally ]</p>