PDA

View Full Version : Wheel locking nuts

Truenorth
03-11-2004, 04:59
Hello ,

After owning my 97 for just over a year I just realized that it has a locking nut for theft prevention of my rims....Well I don't have the special tool to remove it. The dealer I bought the vehicle from was useless in helping me get one. Does any one know if this can be purchased or is there a way to remove all four of them and then replace them with ones I have bought?

Turbine Doc
03-11-2004, 05:32
Take a look in your glovebox hopefully there is a sticker in there with the key code for reordering one, when I installed mine it came with a sticker for that purpose. Also check with a parts house that specializes in performance tires & rims some of the lock lugs are common, they should be able to find a match from their set of "keys"

Quack_Addict
03-11-2004, 08:42
Most tire shops (Discount, Bell Tire, etc) have special sockets with a reverse screw thread inside that bites into the lug nut which they use for removing locking lug nuts when a key isn't available.

You can also weld a hex nut onto the locking lug nut, then use a standard ratchet or 4-way in the usual fashion.