PDA

View Full Version : Chirp or squeak while driving..

T HAUS6955
12-10-2004, 16:06
I've searched thru the postings, but did not see anything related to this..

03 D-max with 37k miles. Started noticing a chirp while driving with the a/c or defrost on. Chirp occurs every minute or so.
Chirp also only occurs at above 1500 rpm. Won't chirp at idle.
If you turn the a/c off, it goes away. I also notice what seems like a little bit of a surge when it chirps.

Drove my dad's 02 d-max across KS and his does the exact same thing. He didn't notice it cause he's hard of hearing.

Anyone else have this happening??

DmaxMaverick
12-10-2004, 16:46
Sounds like normal belt wear. 37K is enough to get a good glaze on it. Mine's been doing the same thing for about 55K. Get a belt and stow it in the truck, and make sure you have the correct wrench (for tensioner) to change it. It may last forever, it may leave you tomorrow.

Hope that's what you wanted to hear.

BTW:
Welcome to the forum!

T HAUS6955
12-10-2004, 17:03
Thanks for the welcome. Been lurking for quite awhile but was too tight to pay to be a member ;)

I figured it was the belt and it always sounds better to hear it from others

Thanks

SLT556
12-10-2004, 19:48
Just replace the belt. They are about $20 and you get peice of mind. I don't let any of the belts in any of my vehicles go past 30K asa cousre of preventative maintenance. Inspectthe belt, and if you see cracks, esecially on the ribbed side, replace it. Don't wait for it to let go. It's far easier to change it at your convenience than to deal with on the side of the road...at night...in the rain...

FisHn2DMax
12-12-2004, 00:31
It may not be the belt. If the Chirp is still there after you replace the belt, its your water pump.

I had the same exact thing happening on my 03 and it was two things. First they changed the belt and belt tensioner and that did make the chirp better but it did not go away. After many frustrating additional dealer attempts to fix the chirp, they could not fix find the problem. I decided I was going to find where that chirp was coming from. It was very intermittent and just like yours it was more frequent when the AC was on?

I isolated the chirp sound to my water pump. Dealer replaced the pump and NO more chirp.

DmaxMaverick
12-12-2004, 07:46
I can't see how the belt, tensioner, or A/C could have anything to do with the water pump. It is internal and gear driven.

The water pump could cause a chirp, but it is much less likely than the acc. components. Water pump issues are very rare.

SLT556
12-12-2004, 13:10
If it continues to make noise after the belt has been replaced, then it could be any accessory that rides on roller bearings. There are ways to determine which accessory it coming from without replacing each one, but first you must eliminate the possibility of belt squeal. My money is still on the belt. Next bet, based on your observation regarding the A/C, would the A/C compressor clutch chattering.

NFLDMAX
12-13-2004, 06:39
My belt chirps when the ac compressor clutch engages. I don't notice it at idle, just at highway speeds.

Idahobidcaller
12-15-2004, 09:29
My squeak comes from where the seatbelt slides into the seatback, any ideas on how to stop this noise?

DmaxMaverick
12-15-2004, 09:37
Originally posted by Idahobidcaller:
My squeak comes from where the seatbelt slides into the seatback, any ideas on how to stop this noise? Easy one. Use some silicone spray lube or lock cylinder graphite. Be sure to use the straw, you don't want that stuff all over the webbing or the seat.

Pull the plastic cover off the seatback where the belt comes out, which will expose the spool. Lube the sides of the spool and fully extend/retract the belt to work it in. There is a TSB on this and you can have the dealer handle it, but they will probably get lube all over the belt, and all over your nice white shirt later.

I did this to mine and have had no squeak for about 50K.

Idahobidcaller
12-16-2004, 10:19
Thanks D..Mav..

SLT556
12-17-2004, 15:41
Originally posted by NFLDMAX:
My belt chirps when the ac compressor clutch engages. I don't notice it at idle, just at highway speeds. Replace the belt.

NFLDMAX
12-20-2004, 09:29
Thanks....will do smile.gif