PDA

View Full Version : bad fuel,, great dealer

SDakDmax
12-10-2004, 16:21
Here is a story some of you may find interesting. On Dec. 2 I set out to the Black Hills of South Dakota for an elk hunt with some friends. The truck preformed very well, crawling through the back country,no roads or logging trail at best, I was feeling pretty good about it when on Dec. 3 after all day hunting fuel was running out her like if you was pouring it out of the can. Oh, no!! The next morning I called Rapid Chevrolet, in Rapid City. They said no problem, we'll be there in less than an hour, I'm 35 miles away so I thought it would take longer. 55 minutes later the tow truck driver pulled up. I rode to Rapid with the tow truck, on the way he told me I was lucky to get a truck because they are short of trucks because they got some bad fuel.. I said where was that. He said Flying J. Wow, that is where I filled up when getting to town. So, after talking with the dealer, they said the pump was leaking and they would have to take it off to see what was going on, I explained how I was hunting etc. and I needed a truck. In short order he came up to me and said Enterprise will pick me up with a 4x4 silverado and they will pick up the tab. Cool!! On monday we got our elk and set out for home 300 miles to N.E. S.Dak. truck wasn't done yet. Tues. morning I got a call, I got bad fuel, took out the pump, so much water that it pushed the plugs out of it. They will still warranty the pump but they need to remove the tank and clean everything out, which is not warranty. I said go for it. I called the supplier for Flying J. They said yup we had a problem but it was fixed by then. Oh no. I asked the dealer to call them. Thurs. Dec 9 I went back to Rapid City, got the truck. it runs great, Dealer was great again, told me where to go to see the fuel dealer. After a 2 hour wait he told me yes the fuel was bad from Nov. 30 to Dec. 3. and they will pay for all my other expenses. It was late by then, he said to stay overnight and give him the bills in the morning. (short story on what he told me)-- They use water to refine the fuel and then take it out. The filters to remove the water either did not get changed or were left out, not sure which. They get their fuel by truck direct from the refinery, so it wasn't checked. Sounds like a nightmare, lots of repairs to lots of trucks. so how it turned out,, I got my elk smile.gif The dealer was GREAT smile.gif and the supplier paid the other bills smile.gif Sorry for the long story, its actually longer, I tried to make it as short as I could

TSimpler
12-10-2004, 18:43
Glad you had a good story, mine was an elk hunt in Northern NM, had an elk in the back and it ran out of fuel with a quarter of a tank showing on the guage. Lucky for me the temp was a balmy 7 and the elk froze; I on the other hand was not so lucky with the temp being 7. I froze my can off.
To make a long story short, a 18 mile hike to the paved road I hitched a ride 20 miles back to Raton NM and had a very interesting conversation with a New Mexico state Trooper (out side the gas station) about why I was at a gas station at 2 am covered with blood (with a 44 mag in my pack). After he saw my military I.D., he gave me a ride (with 5 gal of fuel) back to my truck. He was a very nice Trooper who wanted to see if a diesel would really out run a State Trooper truck. He turned out to be not a happy with the answer. :D 2nd best part of the night.

I am very glad you found a good dealer.

Trent

SDakDmax
12-10-2004, 20:03
Sorry I didn't explain it well enough. It was about 10 degrees in the hills and the fuel froze pushing out the plugs. Mostly wanted other members to know in case they may have gotten fuel from the same refinery. LOTS of other trucks with problems. Tell us more about finding out the truck was faster than his car, sounds like a good story. glad you hunt went well in the end..