PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Transmission

Burner
12-06-2002, 22:45
I was just thinking about the ol'e Alli in most of our trucks and the other stuff in Fords. I know that our trany will "slip & limp" before it eats itself, most of the time. However, with all of the complaints, have you noticed that we "can" run our Mod Diesels with no change to the trans? We can pull like crazy and only worry about EGT. I remeber pulling with the Ford Powerstroke (my 2001) auto. Man, that trans could cook a 7 course meal after a hard uphill pull! That trans would kill it's self with just a little restricted airflow. :eek: My Duramax and Alli always seem to run so cool? I wonder why? Do you think that a cool motor and trans will last longer? I think so. Heck, I could be wrong. A boiling transmission and engine just may outlast a cool running system...but I doubt it.

------ Just thinking

Burner~~~~~~~~

mackin
12-07-2002, 09:17
Burner

Heat is a killer.......I've posted a chart before on longevity and the importance of a good Tranny cooling system.....An expert I am not.......

The main reason WE DON'T COOK our trannys today is do to the.......
=>Characteristics common to all electronic controllers include the following:

* shift point control
* converter lock-up clutch operation
* pressure control of friction elements
* engine torque control during shifting
* safety functions/diagnostics
******* hardware protection from driver abuse**********

Making minuet adjustments as the power increases till it will take no more then ZING.......It self protects it self from destruction to a degree as sooner or later one will find away to destroy it anyway....

Once this is resolved or discovered it will move to the next weakest link in the drivetrain......

Now that Ford has gotten into this territory,Thanks to GM and Allison, it will be interesting to see what and where the Torqshifts limitations lie......ALL ELECTRONIC CONTROLLED TRANNY'S will have it's limit set.....How will the re-hashed E4OD/4R100 do???? Maybe better then the Allison ....Time will tell.......

MAC :D ;)