PDA

View Full Version : HP and Torque????

Ranger354
08-26-2002, 21:31
Talked to a guy today that sells an add on made by Vanaarken(?) that is supposed to add 70hp and 140 ft/lb torque. $850 plus tax.

Any you guys heard of it? This place is supposed to have a web site. I have search the web and find nothing.

afp
08-26-2002, 21:49
Most of us have opted for the Juice box (90 hp, 250 ft lbs) over the other boxes (Van Aken and Duramaximizer). If you do a search for "Juice," you'll find lots of info.

Blaine

Ranger354
08-26-2002, 21:57
Blain,

I have been watching for a while, just hadn't heard of this one. Guess the spelling threw me off. How much is the Juice?

Paintdude
08-26-2002, 22:02
I am so undecided on Juiceing my truck..This thing runs so damn good it is unreal..I just do not see the need, so far..

Today I was merging onto the interstate and a person was going way slow in front of me so I rolled it on at 50-55 mph and I seen black smoke back where I was in my mirror..It will run,when I need it to...

Resistance may be futile, ..Time will tell...

afp
08-26-2002, 22:30
Ranger,

They run around $800ish from reputable dealers. Of course, you have to call and get the official price. I recommend John Kennedy at http://www.kennedydiesel.com/

He will lead you by the hand on the set-up of the box and the boost and egt gauges you should buy as well. Check out the "Tech Tips" portion of his website.

Here is a summary of what I have learned so far.

"EZ Amp" is the same as the "Juice" (http://www.edgeproductsinc.com/dura_ez.html). They increase power by changing timing (still well within safe limits) and fuel pluse width. The power comes on immediately from idle. (I drove a Juice equipped truck last night.) They are easy to install and remove. It has four power programmable settings, and you can switch between two of them with the tow/haul button. There have been various versions (starting with something like 3.0) that have addressed the bugs. Some of the bugs have been: when starting, it takes a few more turns of the starter for the truck to start, "fishbite" (truck jerking under certain load conditions), stalling under certain situations, difficulty in programming. The latest versions seem to have corrected all these problems. Any version can be sent back to the factory for the latest update free of charge. The Juice increases EGT. According to Dr Lee, the peak combustion temp stays the same with this style box, though EGT is increased. The Juice smokes a little under hard acceleration on it'st setting.

The DMaximizer (http://www.duramaximizer.com/) increases fuel pressure slightly (still well within safe limits) and doesn't alter timing. The power doesn't come in until 1/2 throttle. It's harder to install, but does provide infinite in-cab adjustability via a control knob. It is very smooth, doesn't increase smoke, and there have been virtually no complaints--except it makes 100 ft lbs of torque less than the Juice and the power doesn't come in until 1/2 throttle. These style boxes do not increase EGT too much. However, according to Dr Lee, they will increase peak temperatue during combustion.

Most folks who have tested both are going with the Juice. I think this is because the DMax needs more response off idle, and the Dmaximizer doesn't give you that. Both boxes will pout more stress on the engine. The DMaximizer will stress the fuel system a little--some trucks have had fuel leaks with these boxes, but in many cases the truck was leaking in factory form and the box just amplified it.

I should have my Juice box this week. Next time you drive to the San Antonio area, I can let you check my truck out.

Blaine

SoCalDMAX
08-26-2002, 22:42
As easy as it is to roll on the throttle at 50-55 on a stock Dmax, it's MUCH easier on a Juiced one! Imagine passing everyone and leaving them as tiny specks in the rear view mirror using only the first 1.5" of throttle travel.

I helped my buddy launch his boat, and I drove his '02 F350 PSD up the ramp for him. After just getting out of my truck, if felt like I had to push the pedal down 10" just to get rolling... You kinda get spoiled...

I know that throttle position is no measure of power, but when you can do everything you need to with the first 1/4 of the throttle, the rest is just icing on the cake... there's gotta be someone close by who can lend you their Juice module for a couple of days, although it might be easier to pry the pipe out of a crack addict's hands. ;) :eek:

Regards, Steve

Ranger354
08-26-2002, 22:48
Blaine,

I was in SA last week my brother lives there. It will be a while before I juice this thing. Hunting season starts soon and I would like to put some tires on her first.

A buddy put a chip in his Ford diesel and said it runs like a scalded dog. I guess everyone has them juiced or chipped or something.