PDA

View Full Version : 1st HEAVY Tow - 15,500 lbs.

Billy14
08-26-2002, 23:10
Got to tell ya, these trucks are really great!

Had a special Gooseneck made to pull a little Dozer I bought. Trailer weighed in at 4,400 & the dozer at 11,100. Around 200 miles total trip, with 2 & 3 mile long 10% grades. 65 to 75 the whole trip & never missed a beat. Didn't use the cruise & the Gatorade was set at level 2(tow/haul). Never dropped below 60 but that was only when I realized my foot was close to the floor so I backed off. No gauges, Ooops! Only an occasional hint of fishbite.

PROBLEM! :eek: :( Knew I had to pull this weight up a 100 yd., 20% loose rocky grade. Arrived at the bottom (after dark) & pushed the 4wd button. Blinky, blinky. :mad: After an hour of button playing I decided I would TRY it in 2 wd. 20 ft. & that was it, so I un-chained the Dozer & backed it up to the front of the trailer. Eeeeee - Haaaaaaah! Crawled up it with no problem. smile.gif smile.gif

Tomorrow morning looks like dealer time. I run the truck in 4wd a few blocks about every 2 or 3 weeks just to check it out with no problems. This kinda added to the frustration. Murphy's law. My picture follows the definition. :D

On the positive side though, I guess I should be thankful I'm not posting blown aluminum heads, limp mode, or a fluid dripping Allison. The rest of the truck performed flawlessly. smile.gif

Billy

[ 08-26-2002: Message edited by: Billy14 ]</p>

Brucec
08-27-2002, 06:26
Glad your towing went good except for the 4X4. I tow my 5th about 6,000 miles not with no oproblems at all 13,500 lbs.

Kennedy
08-27-2002, 15:34
I've had trouble getting 4 low to engage. I believe it has to do with gear "stacking" and that rolling a bit should help.

Billy14
08-27-2002, 16:16
John,

Tried it all that night. Wouldn't do 4WH either. Low range would engaged but the front-in wouldn't. Took almost 30 min. to get it out of Low range & back in to 2WH. Thought for awhile it was going to be wrecker time.

Dealer thinks it's the modulator.

Billy

fasterthanyou
08-27-2002, 20:01
sucks about the 4x. I have had some problems after lifting mine because the front end is engaed through a( and I can't remember which) vacume or electric front axle engagement system to lock in the hubs. My wires were not long enough when I lifted it and it pulled out. I have had mine gring alot when engaging it, try rolling around, I do my 4 lo at about 5 mph in nuetral now. We alway have to tow our 12000lbs trailer down dirt roads to the competitons and I now the feeling. I'm sure it is something little buger'n it up, don't sweat it to much

Paintdude
08-27-2002, 20:17
That is why I went with the floor 4 by 4 shift on my Dmax, No solinoids-acctuators-electronics..

IndigoDually
08-28-2002, 07:32
I've got bad news for you PaintDude. Just because you got a lever doesn't mean it's engaged! You are only putting the transfer case in 4wd, You are still under the powers of the gremlins to engage the hubs. :D

John

hoot
08-28-2002, 09:37
Read the owners manual. There are very specific instructions for 4x4 engagement.
Putting into 4x4 low it likes to be rolling 2-3 mph, I believe while in nuetral....
Mine engages flawlessly.

GreyPower3500
08-28-2002, 12:09
Billy14:

What yer describing with the 4WD engagement is EXACTLY what was ailing mine from day one 'till this spring. Lots of blinking, lazy engagement LO to HI (but, for some reason I could get it to take 4LO ---course it wouldn't release that without a fight...).

Good news is that the dealer ordered up the part (control module?) and not even a hint of trouble since. I'm sure they'll have that sorted out in one visit.

Regards.

Billy14
08-28-2002, 13:13
GreyPower3500 & others,

Headed out to pick up my truck.

Control Module was the problem!

Billy

Paintdude
08-28-2002, 16:51
so John, are you saying the tranfer case doesn`t control high and low range?
My 2000 z71 had push button 4 by 4 and it made lots of noises engaging and disengaging..I never cared for it myself..I like moving the lever on the floor and it just goes into gear..Seems to work alot better for me..

Maybe it is that auto 4 wheel drive, that makes the difference.I just dont care for it is all..I will decide when I need 4 wheel drive or not, not the modulator or computer or whatever..JMO

Colorado Kid
08-28-2002, 17:09
He's saying you can put the transfer case into gear with the lever, be it 4Hi or 4Lo, but if the front axle disconnect (which is electric) decides to have a bad day you will still only have drive at the rear wheels.

The parts which are giving you guys problems seem to have been left off of my truck ;) but the Gov-lock rear sure works great!