PDA

View Full Version : Broke it (truck) on dyno...

Kennedy
03-04-2004, 19:12
Well, the good news is, the dyno is working, the bad news is my truck is down.

On the plus side, it's only the serp. belt that failed. It appears to have shredded a rib and jumped slots on the tensioner pulley...

Tough Guy
03-04-2004, 19:34
All that big Diesel power and all you managed to break was a lousy belt?? :confused:

I thought more of you John.... :D

Cheers

mark45678
03-04-2004, 19:42
That a little odd dont you think! Any Idea what caused it? serp belts for the most part are good for 80K then its on borrowed time form there>>> Glad to hear your making some runs on the new shop toy! To bad I am on the east coast ...Being a gear head it would be cool to see a few dyno days (cars and trucks) I had heard that if the power steering pull wasnt on correctly it will chew up the belt....

Brandenburg
03-04-2004, 20:28
If you by chance happen to test hot juice full on with 65 predator I would be curious to know the result. :D

OC_DMAX
03-05-2004, 04:47
My belt is "chirping" in the morning. Very consistent for about the first 5 minutes or so. Seems to have gotten louder over the last 6 months or so. I have noticed there is a build up of black material on the tensioner pulley. Also heard this same noise on several DMAX trucks that were at the LA Dyno event a couple of weeks ago. As Mark mentions above, I thought belts were supposed to last a fairly long time. My truck only has 16K miles on the odometer.

Kennedy
03-05-2004, 05:57
Could have been RPM related also. The dyno kinda releases a bit too quickly for my taste, and lets it flair a bit. We can set this up differently when SF comes to commission it.

Elaine did say she heard a squeal when started cold outside the other day. Kinda brushed it off as PS hydraulics.

As for belt life, I wish I had one of the HD units like I have for the 6.5 on hand. I've got my dealer looking to get one ASAP. With the amount of tension on the belt, it's actually not surprising. This one has just shy of 58k on it.

Kennedy
03-05-2004, 06:10
Originally posted by Brandenburg:
If you by chance happen to test hot juice full on with 65 predator I would be curious to know the result. :D Ran both of them, just not together...

If you don't have the 4.74 Attitude hot, you are missing out. ;)

Kennedy
03-08-2004, 07:53
The new belt jumped the pulley also. I re-seated it and all is well. It seems that the RPM delimiting of the Quad tuner allowed it to flair on release where the std programs roll off sharply...

With over 200 runs on my truck, now I'm looking to beat someone else's (like SoMN's) truck for a while...

[ 03-09-2004, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: kennedy ]

Kennedy
03-12-2004, 06:02
Bring it on!

Weekends best...

Forced Induction
03-13-2004, 05:37
Hey Red,
Let me know when your going up there. I would love to strap my truck to the load dyno. Not planning on beating anyone, just been dying to try Johns new Dyno. Also how can I get in touch with you for going to the track, johns, ect.?

John, on another note, off topic, do you have the new quad tunes in stock (135 to be exact)?? I might want one when I get there or maybe just upgrade my old juice to the newest attitude would be the better/safer route. You can let me know. smile.gif

Jason

Kennedy
03-13-2004, 05:49
New Quad tunes in stock. All but the 225 or whatever it is being called.

HJAT level 5 is a SCORCHER!

Forced Induction
03-13-2004, 06:39
Red, That sounds good to me. I'll e-mail you this week from work and we can finalize the details. It's a pretty far ride isn't?? Might have to spend the night somewhere if I don't feel like drivin back. We'll see.

Hey John, You do also have the 4-5" exhausts in stock for the ex/sb right? :cool:

Jason

MaxACL
03-13-2004, 17:14
John,

I need to replace my belt. Where'd you get yours, is one better than another? $$

Mike

Kennedy
03-13-2004, 18:09
I've always had good luck with Gates belts. I also have a line of economical (cheap) units available to me, but none for this alpplication. The Cheapos have proven to be EXTREMELY rugged.

Should be around next Saturday.

Still working out the exhaust extraction details. I have a 5" setup for my truck and am looking at adapters to 4 and 3.5.

5" systems available for both short and long beds.

Today I tested a slightly turned up 94 Cummins 12v at 187 RWHP :eek: It leaked oil, fuel, AND coolant on the floor. In fairness, it had 285k on the clock...

Kennedy
03-14-2004, 08:52
Let's hope the weather is better than this weekend! :(

No biggie on the pushing thing, the trans will give you fits before EGT's can hurt anything...

Kennedy
03-14-2004, 09:29
Whatever suits you. I have about a 20 or so misc "demo" and "test" boxes give or take depending on the day etc. Of course, some don't swap, but a lot do. Some (psi) don't interset the majority either...

Kennedy
03-17-2004, 11:50
Jason,

I missed the fact that you were in WI. I didn't think you were serious about driving all the way from NJ.

No problem though, I can beat on your truck just as easily as Rick's...

I figure (hopefully) to have my truck on the rollers over night, then make a couple of "proof" runs before pulling it off and setting up the next one.

If either of you care to do so, I can pick up tach signal from the ECM to dash wire (white) just like a remote start would. Otherwise I also have an optic pickup for the crank pulley. I've made a shunt for tach hookup on my truck so hookup is a simple 5 second operation...

Kennedy
03-17-2004, 19:53
Perfect! Thinking prime rib and margaritas for supper???

Forced Induction
03-18-2004, 04:44
Prime Rib sure does sound yummy!! smile.gif But I'll take good old WI beer over the rita's. Like Rick said, it's a long ride home but we'll see. I'll need to eat something before leaving and it might as well be a big meal. Also depends on if the lady rides up with me, then I have a dialbated driver to get me home, hehehe. smile.gif

Jason

Kennedy
03-18-2004, 07:11
Won't twist your arm...

Not too far out of the way though. Right near Black River Falls.

Buck knows the place... ;)

Kennedy
03-19-2004, 19:37
Sounds like a few more may drop by. Mostly to spectate.

Cleaned the joint up a bit. Gonna have to take some pics before it gets messed up again...