PDA

View Full Version : Oil Fliter

Ranger354
08-27-2002, 16:54
What idiot put this thing on. Truck has 5,200 miles on it so it was time to change the oil. I have worked on all sorts of farm machinery and only once had a filter give me this much trouble. Thought for a minute that along with the truck being metric they had put left handed threads on the filter. It has her or me for a while up under there, but I finally won.

Going to try Mobil Delvac 1300 this time. Also installed a K&N air filter.

mackin
08-27-2002, 18:39
Ranger354,

It is pretty amazing isn't it???? We all have had the lovely experience .....But guess what myself I try not to over tighten the replacement ,but I'll be darned if it's not tighter then all hell when I go to change it ..... :confused:
It's a self tight'ner fur sure......

MAC smile.gif :D

Idle_Chatter
08-27-2002, 20:11
Yah gotta face it, Ranger, their gonna be tighter than a Scotsman's purse strings every time! I lube up my gasket and install the new one one full turn after contact and I'm under there jerking and sweating and crunchin' up the end of the filter every time taking it off. When I changed mine a few days ago, the gasket ring was still stuck to the face of the housing when I finally got the filter wrestled off like it had been vulcanized. These DMax oil pumps put out heat *and* pressure!

Ranger354
08-27-2002, 20:44
Well at least I didn't have to drive a screwdriver thru it! I have had to do that before. Think I may let the garage change it the next time. I had heard that the fuel filter was next to impossible to get off. I will try that in another 10,000 miles.

Idle_Chatter
08-27-2002, 21:14
Naw, the fuel filter is nowhere near as tight as the oil filter, Ranger, the problem is access. Some folks have been pulling the passenger side battery out. I've done two changes now, and I've removed the passenger fender liner both times. It's really easy then. If you have a socket-type tightening band clamp, you *can* get at it from above with a ratchet and extension. I just cut my 15,000 mile second filter open tonight - :eek: - check out the pictures in my link below! I changed the OEM out at 15,000 and this one at 30,010. I'm gonna be changing at every 15,000 from now on!

FirstDiesel
08-28-2002, 04:28
I have one of those oil filter wrenches that look like a giant pair of pliers. Grip the filter, squeeze and turn. Gives you a good "bite" on the filter and more leverage than the normal filter wrench. There is enough room under the truck to use them.

Colorado Kid
08-28-2002, 09:46
Yeah, "Stuck to the flange" is the whole thing. You end up spinning the filter relative to the gasket, which takes quite a bit of torque. To make it worse the Delco filters have several crimps where the inner flange contacts the gasket, apparently to retain the gasket better, so the filter really doesn't turn relative to the gasket, and the gasket is stuck to the flange on the engine and we're under the trucks breaking our tools and hurting ourselves!

The worst part is I haven't yet found a solution, but I'll let you all know if I do. AS stated above, lubing the gasket with oil is NOT the solution. Next time I'll try anti-sieze compound. It seems crazy, I put it on hand tight and practially can't get it back off with every tool I own.