PDA

View Full Version : tire stuck on truck

Joe P
12-07-2002, 15:08
Just came back from the local tire dealer(second time on two tires that the valve stem has a leak). The problem ,they cant get my tire off the truck, dealer says the two metals have fused together. he says he has seen this on a couple of jeeps. Hes afraid to beat the s--t out of my new rims. has this happened to anyone ,anyone have any ideas how to get tire off. Thanks Joe.

mt1729
12-07-2002, 15:46
My brother had this happen on his ford truck. We loosened the lug nuts and drove it about 10ft. It loosened up enough to get it off. Don't know if it would work for you, just a thought.
Dave

getupingo
12-07-2002, 16:57
try jacking that tire off of the ground just a little. Then take a floor jack and get a rolling start and slam that baby into the side of the tire. Make sure the tire is inflated, and for god sakes don't let them beat on your rim.

That's what we do at discount tire when it won't come off.

getupingo :cool:

[ 12-07-2002: Message edited by: getupingo ]</p>

mackin
12-07-2002, 17:00
Joe P

The way I have done it, well, on a car was, to jack it up,remove lugs, get out a 2 or 3 LB small sledge hammer and swing and hit the TIRE not the rim,turning tire for different spots of impact of course......After the muttering of four letter words and just when your about to give up, off she will come....... I often wondered if you were to smear the DRUM only with Anti-seize if it would solve the problem?????

MAC :D

[ 12-07-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Idle_Chatter
12-07-2002, 18:05
Joe, I had the same problem when my right rear went flat a month or so ago. It was frozen *TIGHT* to the hub. I really couldn't get any leverage on it with a flat tire, so was left with kicking and cursing it all around the rim to no avail. Fortunately, I had a couple of cans of fix-a-flat in the bed and was able to squirt it and limp it to some air. When I got home, I jacked it up, pulled the lug nuts off and sprayed the lugs and all around the hub with penetrating oil. After letting it soak for a few minutes, I grabbed the top of the now inflated tire and it broke loose with one hefty heave out at the top of the tire. I never-seez'd the heck out of the hub and lugs before putting that sucker back on!

TSimpler
12-07-2002, 19:10
When I rotated my tires I had to us a breaker bar on 3 nuts and my poor Blue Point impact wrench about gave up the ghost on a few others

IMHO some gorilla with an overpowered impact wrench is puting these things on at the factory...

Trent

mcfly
12-07-2002, 19:24
I can't offer much more advice on removing the stuck wheel other than what has already been said. I can however offer advice on putting the wheels back on. BMW had a study done in the past regarding warped rotors. Long story short, it was discovered that the vast majority of warped rotors were warped by mechanics and non-mechanics using impact wrenches along with improper torque sequence to tighten the lugnuts. The recommendation from BMW and most auto manufacturers is to use a torque wrench, not an impact wrench, to tighten the lugnuts. I believe that it is also recommended that after a few hundred miles, check and re-torque to manufacturers specs.

christo
12-07-2002, 22:11
I changed all four tires a couple of days ago.
They went 42,000 miles. Planning to pull a 5th wheel to Arizona this Saturday.
All 4 wheels were seized on, especially the two rear ones.
Had to do a heap of beating on the tires with a heavy sledge hammer to get them to break loose. Would not have wanted to change a flat on the road!
I put anti-seize (copper coat) on all wheels and torqued the nuts to 140 ft/lbs.

battmain
12-07-2002, 22:52
I've used a light dab of grease on the hub portion when I rotated the tires. Have had the problem on previous cars and it was a PITA. tongue.gif You could try kicking backwards to the bottom of the rim after spraying some penetrating oil into the tiny space by the lugs and the hub and letting it sit for a while. I wouldn't get any oil on the lugnut threads if you can help it. If you decide to leave the lug nuts loose, and move the truck, make sure only a thread or two is showing, otherwise you will be replacing the bolts if you drive too long. (the wheel chews up the threads.)