PDA

View Full Version : Another Fuel Filter Question

johns
08-27-2002, 20:27
I know a person whom I've been told is an excellent mechanic. I have no personal experience at all. We were discussing once changing fuel filters and how I'm going to have to get used to the priming step with my DMAX (not necessary with the Ford diesel).

He said he fills the fuel filter with brake fluid, gives it time to soak in and makes sure it is completely full. Thne install the fuel filter. Eliminates the need to prime the motor and the brake fluid cleans the injectors.

Anyone ever heard of this? I haven't tried it. Don't know if I should.

CCR91
08-27-2002, 20:32
When I changed my fuel filter, I did not even fill the new filter with fuel. I put it on totally empty. After installing it, I hit the primer 20-30 times and it fired right up. It ran for a few seconds than died. I than hit the primer 5-10 more times and it fired right back up and no more interuptions.

Corey

Paintdude
08-27-2002, 20:32
The Ford filter is in the engine valley. a cartridge type unit..

I would be real leary about running brake fluid in the fuel system..Why doesn`t he just put diesel fuel in the filter?

Captain Mal
08-27-2002, 20:36
Johns,

Dot 3, 4 or 5 brake fluid?

Man I would never think of putting that stuff into my engine and hope it would run. Tell that fellow to show you how he does it in his first.

Priming the fuel filter is so simple it hardly warrants any discussion. I have done it on a mountain top in the dark when the temp. was below zero and blowing like crazy. My stupidity put
me there but the easy priming got me out.

Crack the screw open just a little and pump the plunger. That's it....no big deal.

Was that guy serious?

'01 GMC D/A ext. sb 4x4 approaching 100K miles

Paintdude
08-27-2002, 21:00
something else..Brake fluid attracts and mixes with water really big time...Try mixing a bit of brake fluid in a jar or jug with equal amount of water and see what you get......

Twice as much brake fluid.. :(

DmaxMaverick
08-28-2002, 03:59
Brake fluid + rubber = jelly. Any seal or gasket/O-ring that isn't neoprene will disintegrate.
Stupid!!
Brake fluid is good for swelling seals on a vehicle you are trying to get rid of. Within 6 months, the seals are history! Right up there with putting sawdust in a gearbox. I hate to repeat myself, but, STUPID!

mackey_62
08-28-2002, 05:51
I gotta agree with DmaxMaverick!!

Brake fluid is known to be bad *^#$. I don't like it to touch anything but the brake system. Was told once it even eats concrete. Don't know if that's true, but it will certainly wreak havoc on injection system, rubber seals don't stand a chance.

Don't do it man, like CaptainMal said, tell this guy to show you how he does it in HIS truck.

I think this guys reputation as a mechanic just went south.

johns
08-28-2002, 18:12
Thanks for the replies. Sounded wierd to me. I hadn't tried it. Nor will I.