PDA

View Full Version : Which first? Additional Fuel/Oil filter?

20050518|4|000086|000000|68.226.176.104
09-19-2003, 10:53
Which should I do next... mega filter or oil bypass?? I can see the importance of both. I changed my first fuel filter at 15K this past weekend and I decided to cut it open after reading much about it on TDP. It was quite clean, very little buildup! Guess I'll keep buying my fuel at the same place... I change the oil every 3500 miles so I'm not sure that a bypass filter is a priority either. Seems that the bypass is simple enough to install; the fuel filter looks like a tight fit under the hood and then there is the debate about a lift pump?!?! This is my first diesel and I love it!!

OC_DMAX
09-19-2003, 11:15
My vote would go for the supplemental fuel filter.

The truck should easily be able to 200K miles or more with the stock oil filtration system (especially if you change oil every 3.5K miles). I am not convinced you could say the same about the fuel system without a little help. Looking at it another way, I have been reading TDP for over two years now. I don't remember anyone mentioning they have had a failure or problem with the basic engine due to a deficiency in the oil filtration system. There are a number of posts over the last year where people have had fuel injectors replaced. Some are probably due to the fuel not being sufficiently clean.

If your current OEM filter is relatively clean after 15K miles, do continue to re-fuel at your current station. My OEM filter came out looking pretty good also with 8K miles on it, relative to others that have been posted on this forum!!

Alan

[ 09-19-2003, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: OC_DMAX ]

DURA-MAX3
09-19-2003, 11:50
Cat pre-filter is what i did and have been having no troubles with air or leaking. I have been running the short filter and have over 5000miles on the first filter. Life is going to be better than i thought. I haven't heard that any extra oil filtering is neccesary, but could not hurt i guess...

NWDmax
09-19-2003, 12:03
Fuel filter for sure.
I went with John Kennedy's Mega Filter and added a lift pump for reasons well documented here.
I will be adding a schrader valve adapter and gauge from JK as well as soon as he's done counting his money. :rolleyes:
When it will be and for how much I don't know but hopefully soon. :D tongue.gif

dmaxalliTech
09-19-2003, 17:43
I put my vote on the fuel filter. I have a local customer that has installed a bypass oil filter setup and has regular oil tests done regularly, he is yet to notice a measureable differnce in oil quality after 5 and 10k. Fuel filters on the other hand, well documented.

scduramax
04-24-2004, 05:21
dmaxalliTech or anybody else with 285s and megafilter

I also have BFG 285s and considering the megafilter. Do you have any rubbing issues with your tires? On Kennedy's website, he mentions 265 and lower would not have problems.

Kennedy
04-24-2004, 05:37
I've had 285's on mine w/o incident. You just need to be sure to mount well forward. The bottom of the filter is actually well above the centerline of the tire.

Oil bypass will be a bit yet. Woring on a new seal/retention system... Analysys results are outstanding!

dmaxalliTech
04-24-2004, 18:48
285's on mine since day one. No issues with teh Mega, I mounted mine as far forward on the air box tray as possible and I use tiestraps to pull the liner back from rubbing on the tires, but the Mega fits in there fine.

Buck
04-29-2004, 15:09
Yeah, what dmaxalliTech said ;)