PDA

View Full Version : Tranny cooler lines to Radiator

20050627|3|008327|000043|65.183.99.20
07-20-2005, 19:45
What is the concensus for running tranny cooler lines when you got an aux cooler?

Bypass the rad altogether?

Go through the rad first, then the cooler?

Go through the cooler first then the Rad?

I've got my rad out and mine was set up with the third option.

ZZ
07-20-2005, 19:57
I run mine from the tranny to a remote filter. Then to the radiator and then through the aux cooler.

DA BIG ONE
07-21-2005, 01:16
There is some concern with tranny running too cold during the winter months, which can be, as bad, as too hot, then there is the fact you are way north.

Sythetic would be best choice in fluid department.

Anything you can do to protect, and extend the life of your tranny is a ++++ considering cost of rebuild.....

I am in the sub-tropics and have had concerns about too much heat, but tranny temps are incheck.

I had spent a small fortune with my tranny rebuild after water damage (I always check all vents now, having learned the hard way). Kevlar clutches, preimum steels, cyro-treated hard parts, synthetic fluid, B&M SuperCooler w/160 deg stat for its great fan, towing/off road shift kit all in the name of protecting my investment. Will do a trans filter & temp gauge soon, maybe even a deep pan.

Some would conclude, overkill, but consider how much a real professional rebuild is then going full tilt is not that much more$$$.

HowieE
07-21-2005, 10:20
I have bypassed the radiator on my last 2 trucks. One has 230,000 I did cover the factor cooler in winter. My present truck has 155,000 and I have not covered the factor cooler in winter just because it is to hard to get to. The trans runs at 150 while the convertor is locked in summer and as low as 105 in the dead of winter. Unlocked convertor can result in temperatures above 180 on the open road and over 200 during slow heavy pulls that limit the air flow over the factor cooler.
I have insolated the thermostate switch on the aux cooler so it does come on at the 165 set point of the stat as apposed to about 185 if it is left in free air flow. This higher on point is because the stat is brass and has a much larger area exposed to free air cooling, and thus off sets it a bit, them the oil flowing through it.

JohnC
07-21-2005, 12:26
I think Ideally you'd run through the radiator cooler first and then have a thermostatic bypass on the air cooler. You really need the radiator in the winter to help get the fluid up to temp. The TCC won't lock if the trans is too cold and I wonder if it would ever get warm enough in the dead of winter if the radiator cooler was out of the circuit. Of course, if you could bypass the radiator in the summer, I don't think you'd ever have to worry about overheating again...

mhagie
07-21-2005, 16:17
I was told by the local tranny dude to go thru rad cooler first then thru aux cooler which is controled by a t/stat which will bypass aux cooler in cold weather.
Did all this then I don't drive truck in winter cause I refuse to get salt on it.
Go figure.
Merle

BUZZ
07-21-2005, 16:27
IMHO, you should run to a remote cooler first, the rad. Heck maybe even 2 coolers first then rad. Reason, if oil is hot 2 coolers will drop temp before Rad and not add heat to the engine coolant. If in the winter, last pass thru rad will raise fluid temps.
My .02
Buzz

JohnC
07-22-2005, 06:51
The reason I think the radiator should be first is that cooler theory says put the hotest fluid through the hotest cooler and so on down the line. This is to achieve maximum cooler efficiency and does not take anything else into consideration.

opto
07-22-2005, 07:57
I agree with JohnC, I also put an external filter after the rads near trans