PDA

View Full Version : How many own a tuner/programmer?

More Power
12-15-2004, 13:23
If you own a tuner/programmer, let me know what features you like, which features you use most, and why you chose a tuner/programmer in the first place.

Thanks!

MP

kerry witherspoon
12-15-2004, 18:39
I have the preditor version v1.01 which i have never updated i like to increase power for towing and like the 2 mpg fuel milleage increase , i should update the version but difficult in canada

WanaDmxsub
12-15-2004, 18:56
Predator v1.11
Speed limiter maxed
Speedo corrected for H2's (315's)
Codes checked and cleared when they pop up
Balance rates checked at each oil change (5k)
Wish it would check and clear TCM codes
120 tune limp the Alli after 5k, I'm running the 85 tune now with no problems
Bloow the doors off of some guy in a dodge today that thought he was going to show me up
one day I'll upgrade to a TTS extreme and have the tranni built but will still keep the Predator for the diagnostics.
Wish it would check and clear TCM codes

Phase 3
12-15-2004, 19:18
I have a little (concern) thread that I hope will generate feedback based on this topic.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001724

I want to take the plunge into the staged mods, but not at the expense of GM's short comings for a reason to say it's my fault.

What's the experience with aftermarket and warranty?

ibelyea
12-15-2004, 21:43
I have an autotap 123 that seems to work fine with my laptop and palmpilot. Only able to remove codes but I haven't changed tires or want to go over the preset speed so it works great for my needs.

Ardie
12-16-2004, 05:31
I had the BullyDog Power Pup Downloader LLY and hated it. My truck idled horribly and was way to loud. When cold it sounded like a Dodge IDI.

NFLDMAX
12-16-2004, 05:38
Running the Predator, and need to update it. I like the ability to reset the SES light.

NLDP
12-16-2004, 07:01
hot juice w/att, excelerator,duramaxmizer,tts120, tts extreme, havent tried any quad tunes or va stuff. Maximizer was a nice start ,juice works great ,tts products are great, excelerator nice to remove speed limiters and check some codes .But there is a line with some of these where it will cost more down the road ie transmission.NLDP

Heartbeat Hauler
12-16-2004, 07:05
I don't know if this falls under the tuner/programmer umbrella, but I run the Banks Stinger Kit that has the Big Head Wastegate, Guages,4" exhaust, and the OttoMind (I opted out of the air intake piece). The OttoMind is not a driver configurable tuner, but simply adds 70hp (pre SixGun). I chose it for Banks' reputaton of not causing problems and the R&D they do to insure compatability. However, every so often I post a request for a vendor to develop a "Basic Programmer" that offers no tuning increases, and would only do:

1.Read/Clear Codes
2.Adjust for Gear and Tire changes
3.Remove speed limiter

I'd even settle for 1 & 2 only.
JP

bjoneill
12-16-2004, 16:47
Diablo Pred. Tire size and Top speed changed W/ Hot Juice/Attitude

OC_DMAX
12-16-2004, 18:29
I am currently running the TTS 3-way Powerloader. Run mainly the Tow Tune (but sometimes the Economy setting). No glitches or other anomalies. Works as advertised. Simple and effective

I have also run the Edge Juice/Attitude combo. Unfortunately, it suffered several hardware problems that would "No-Start" the truck about every tenth ignition cycle. This device has a lot of good features in the Attitude monitor, too bad the HW bugs exist.

I also have a Predator that I use strictly as a scan tool. Works good. I have no faith in their performance tunes and have never installed them in the truck.

The above are my opinions, others may or may not agree.

Alan

Tough Guy
12-16-2004, 19:41
OC-

First off your handle is ideal. Secondly, I know what your saying about opinions and such. I had the oportunity to run a Superchips, Diablo Predator and the Edge Evolution in my PSD, they all three dyno close to each other but "feel" completely different to drive etc....everybody has different needs and wants IMHO.

I personally like tuners because of the versatility and function.

Cheers,

The "Boy" TG ;)

motovet
12-16-2004, 21:00
Big VA from John Kennedy now, also run the H/Juice Attitude (soon to be for sale), on order the TTS Extreme. Have a predator for codes, diagnostics, etc. I am looking for the most power I can get while having a good aggressive tow tune.

Kennedy
12-17-2004, 05:58
I've got quite a collection here. About the only one that I haven't actually tested (but I do have one) is the Hypertech. I've also seen some units that "rattle" excessively like mentioned above. These are part of a group that wear different names, but contain virtually identical programming. :rolleyes:

I've been impressed most with the Diablo Predator. It allows you to enter tire sizes that don't exist for fine tuning, PLUS the top speed limiter is not just bumped to a predetermined point or eliminated. It is user selected, and can be increased as well as DECREASED which may be handy for some with teen drivers, brother-in-laws who like to borrow etc. :D

The other impressive thing about the Predator is the ability to view real time engine data like injector balance rates, fuel rail psi etc. While not at the same level of resolution and speed as the Tech 2, it sure is priced reasonably!

Tough Guy
12-29-2004, 20:08
Mr.Kennedy

Which tuner is your top seller?

Cheers

Kennedy
12-30-2004, 06:15
At present, the Diablo Predator. More than just a tuner/downloader/code reader, it also has engine data monitoring capabilities in real time. The speed limiter is not simply deleted, it is adjusted prior to installing the tune. This allows the user to decrease the limit if so desired. Excellent choice for fleets and those with young drivers...

dmaxfan
12-30-2004, 11:25
I have the Predator, and I love it. I had hypertech, but it doesn't seem to have the low-end torque that the predator has.

MPH
01-02-2005, 14:52
Does the Diablo cause the engine to rattle loudly like some of the others i have been around? I am looking for a programmer to help with mileage and towing. Will this do the trick?

BMDMAX
01-02-2005, 15:45
On the programmer side I have the Quad Stealth and the Predator.

I don't run the Predator tunes anymore since they don't have a monster tune but it does work great for the items JK mentioned above. It stays in the truck all the time in case I need diagnostic capability on the road. The Tech II is a pain to haul around so it is nice to have someting small and portable to put in the truck.

Both tuners have done their job well and have been worth every penny.

Kennedy
01-03-2005, 09:09
Originally posted by MPH:
Does the Diablo cause the engine to rattle loudly like some of the others i have been around? I am looking for a programmer to help with mileage and towing. Will this do the trick? The Predator only intensifies the diesl sound slightly. Most of the others increase it too much I believe...

DuckhunterInTN
01-05-2005, 08:46
Kennedy,

I was wondering if you could explain, or direct me to a website, that would more fully explain what the Predator does over the others, i.e., hypertech. I read where you said you get real time data monitoring, but I was wondering what all that means.

Do you believe it would be ok to run the Predator on the lower two settings without guages (for now), as long as I do not tow any unreasonable loads?

Thanks

Jomar
01-06-2005, 19:01
I`ve run my truck quite a lot in the 40hp & 65hp modes without a heavy load are pulling a trailer and no problem, just fun. Watch out for wet roads, are you will have trouble if not very careful !!!!!

Jomar

Kennedy
01-07-2005, 05:51
Originally posted by DuckhunterInTN:
Kennedy,

I was wondering if you could explain, or direct me to a website, that would more fully explain what the Predator does over the others, i.e., hypertech. I read where you said you get real time data monitoring, but I was wondering what all that means.

Do you believe it would be ok to run the Predator on the lower two settings without guages (for now), as long as I do not tow any unreasonable loads?

Thanks What that means is that you can read a couple hundred plus engine data tables including things like:

Engine coolant temp
Mass air flow
Intake air temp
Fuel Pressures
Injector balance rates
etc etc

The list is quite extensive. In other words, other tuners alow you to read and erase engine codes, but the Predator allows you to look at the components (just like a Tech 2) related to the code to see if the problem is evident. This DOES take some knowledge/background, but at least gives you the opportunity to learn. :cool:

DuckhunterInTN
01-07-2005, 07:08
Cool, thanks. And I assume that you use can the scan tool function with the truck running, driving, etc, but you still have to have everything dead when you reprogram?

Kennedy
01-07-2005, 09:39
Yes that is correct. Of course, you don't want to view the data while drivng though. That job is for the passenger.

Swayse
01-10-2005, 05:50
Originally posted by Ardie:
I had the BullyDog Power Pup Downloader LLY and hated it. My truck idled horribly and was way to loud. When cold it sounded like a Dodge IDI. Never heard of a Dodge IDI.

Rollingon
01-11-2005, 13:49
I run the Juice/Attitude combo. Great for towing, and plenty of power when you're not.

cmonroe97
01-14-2005, 10:36
Ibeeen running hypertech for a year without removing at highest setting, towing and normal driving,no problems at this time better gas miliage,and a lot more power 66000 mi on an 02.

More Power
01-14-2005, 20:22
Here's a data list, capable of being read by the Predator - at least for the LB7 (as posted in this forum about two years ago).

Engine Data 1
a. Engine Speed - x rpm
b. Desired Idle Speed - x rpm
c. ETC - X

jampsdmax
01-17-2005, 18:31
I have a superchip and hypertech tuner both work well, off the line superchip feels like it has more torque. On the hypertech it appears to run more smooth as if it has a factory feeling smooth stops no transmission wind up great power.Tire size adjustment. They are both great tuners hypertech is new to me and still needs to be driven for a while. I have been reading about the diablo and like all the options and I have to save for that one...

Nix
01-18-2005, 04:11
Hello All, I'm new and would like to say thanks to all for the great information on this forum.

Has anyone tried the Banks 6 gun bundle? Their numbers look good, and they have a good reputation. I have noticed the "Juice" is rather popular around here, likely for good reason.

My other question: Since the Banks unit backs off power if it detects slippage, is it safe to assume that if I beef the Allison then the Banks unit will continue to apply power?

That built ATS Allison sure would be sweeeeeeet! Thanks for any input.

fireresource
01-18-2005, 19:10
i'm running the edge juice/attitude, mbrp 4" exhaust, afe pro7 intake....happy w/ everything. i did it because it was half the cost of the banks system. :cool: