PDA

View Full Version : 5W-30 oil ?

AKDmax
08-27-2002, 22:27
For those of you that run 5W-30 in your trucks, what are you using? I have been looking at oils for this winter but can't find any that meet the required ratings. Am I stuck with using synthetic?
Thanks for the expert advice in advance>>>

FrozenAKJoe
08-27-2002, 23:53
I thought 15W40 was the prescribed oil for the Duramax. Will using the lighter-weight oil cause problems? I have a case of 5W30 sitting in my garage, unable to be used because I've sold my vehicle that used it.

AKDmax
08-28-2002, 00:34
Ahhh!!! I screwed up. That should read 5W-40 according to the supplement. FrozenAKJoe check page 6-19 of your diesel supplement for recommended vis. Anyone else care to comment on what oil they are using in the 5W-40 category?

SoMnDMAX
08-28-2002, 00:55
I'll be running Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 this winter...

schnier
08-28-2002, 04:35
I will be running Rotella 5W-40 this winter also. Wally world has it for 12.88 a gallon. Not bad.

mackey_62
08-28-2002, 05:27
"Am I stuck with using synthetic? "

I've done a little shopping around, seems diesel grade oils are mostly 15W40 in dino version.
I think all 5W meeting CG4 & CH4 I've seen has been Synthetic. Kind of makes sense though, 5W40 dino probably wouldn't last very long.
So, I believe your stuck with synthetic if you want 5W.
Like Schnier said, Rotella 5W40 at Wal-Mart pretty reasonable price. It'll be in my truck too, scared to think of Oil pressure on a -30 morning with. My truck was new last Feb. pegged the pressure gauge a couple times. I suspect 5W synthetic will help considerably.

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: mackey_62 ]</p>

dcpdave
08-28-2002, 09:03
akdmax,
g.m., and i do as well, highly recommend the mobile delvac 5w40 oil in cold climate conditions. considering the price of the truck, i would want the best oil in mine. g.m. actually came out with a service bulletin highly recommending the delvac.

hope this helps,

deerhunter7
08-28-2002, 11:38
I run 15w-40 year around . Between the block heater and the Espar Engine Preheater mine never
sees a cold start. I don't care what oil you use.
Cold start on a engine puts a lot of wear fast.
Plus a long warm up time. ;)

Diesel_Lawyer
08-28-2002, 12:29
dcpdave:

do u have a link to the service bulletin:

Joe.G
08-28-2002, 17:45
AKDmax
You need to run 5w-30 synthetic up there in the winter, it will pour at -65 degrees F. I was at Ft Yukon for a year and I know how cold it can get up there, I was a weather observer and saw -70 at Ft Yukon. It was only -36 when we landed in Fairbanks, heck, we thought it was summer when it got up to zero.

Maxxheadroom
08-28-2002, 20:30
Your best bets would be to stick with only true 100% synthetics...Mobile 1 Delvac or Amsoil 0w30 or 5w30...read this link

http://syntheticoiltech.com/oil/1/which30weightoildoiuse.htm

george morrison
08-29-2002, 06:52
DCPDave, I too would very much like to know service bulletin # for the Delvac 1 information from GM..
Thank you,
George Morrison

LanduytG
08-29-2002, 07:07
Run the Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 year around, it can handle it.

Greg

AKDmax
08-29-2002, 09:54
I appreciate all the quick replies. I would have to agree that it gets plenty cold up here to warrant switching to a synthetic. I haven't seen the Delvac 1 in any of the stores in this town, and the Amsoil isn't much easier to find. I'm hesitant to put 5W-30 in the truck because the supplement says 5W-40. If anyone has the service bulletin stating to use 5W-30 I would like to see it. It's starting to get in the 30's at night so it's not going to be much longer before it's -10 or colder. We have two seasons here, summer and butt frigid cold! Spring and Fall are about 2 weeks a piece.

dcpdave
08-29-2002, 11:34
sorry it took so long to get back here, been kinda busy, here is the info from g.m., bulletin number 00-06-01-025A
Info - Correct Oil Viscosity and Oil Filter Usage for the Duramax 6600 Diesel Engine (RPO LB7) #00-06-01-025A

Correct Oil Viscosity and Oil Filter Usage for the Duramax 6600 Diesel Engine (RPO LB7)
2001-2002 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500 HD and 3500 Models

with 6.6L Engine (VIN 1 -- RPO LB7)

This bulletin is being revised to add the AC Delco oil filter part number and add the 2002 Model Year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-06-01-025 (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Important
The Duramax 6600 diesel engine can produce oil pressures over 690 kPa (100 psi) during a cold start condition and the oil pressure gauge may remain near 552 kPa (80 psi) while driving. Because of these oil pressures, it is important that the correct oil filter is used and torqued properly and the proper oil viscosity is used for the ambient temperatures.

Oil Filter
The correct oil filter for use on the Duramax 6600 engine is the AC PF2232 or the production oil filter, GM P/N 97214983. This filter was designed specifically for use on the Duramax 6600 engine and incorporates improved filtering capabilities as well as an integral oil pressure relief valve. The oil filter should be torqued to 24 N

dcpdave
08-29-2002, 11:48
back again, a little more info. this came from a g.m. "voice mail express" system several months back, it includes a couple of other sources for the 5w40 oil.

The 5W40 API CH4 oil recommended in the diesel supplement is only available as a synthetic oil. If a customer requests a synthetic oil they should only use the 5W40 API CH4 viscosity and grade oil. The 5W40 oil is also approved for all engine operating temperature ranges; however, the 5W40 oil is the only approved oil when the engine is operating below -18 degrees C and zero degrees Fahrenheit. This oil is available from GMSPO. In the USA use part number 12378522, and in Canada use part number 88901338. It is also available from other oil suppliers such as Mobil One, Delvac One and Petro Canada Duron 5W40. Remember, utilizing a synthetic oil does not increase the service intervals for oil and filter changes. Whenever oil recommendations are made to the customer, please refer them to the diesel supplement of the owner's manual.

hope this helps,

Diesel_Lawyer
08-29-2002, 14:17
DCPDAVE: thanks for the info and the efforts to get it

AKDmax
08-30-2002, 00:07
Looks like it's gonna be Delvac. Not convinced on the 5W-30 since both GM bulletins on this post state 5W-40. Thanks dcpdave, you don't have the bulletin on the leaf spring isolators by chance, do you?

dcpdave
08-30-2002, 10:24
akdmax,
the following is a "preliminary information" bulletin. i used a "vin" number of one of our trucks, these "prelim." bulletins are vin specific. if this repair is what you are referring to, please call your dealer, give him YOUR vin, have him look up "preliminary info" in suspension category and see if it applies to your truck.

Rear Spring Slap or Clunk Noise #PI00347

Rear Spring Slap or Clunk Noise

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

Condition/Concern:
Spring slap (clunk) noise from the rear of the GMT800 series truck. Noise can be heard over road irregularities, speed bumps and potholes.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Loosen the rear axle u-bolts, recording the release torque and re-torque the u-bolts to factory specifications.

Roadtest the vehicle.

If noise is still present, install spring insulators on the leading and trailing ends of the overload spring. The part numbers for these insulators are:

15604174 C1 K1

15604175 C2, K2 WITHOUT 8600 GVWR

15604176 C2, K2 WITH 8600 GVWR

15604176 C3, K3

It may be necessary to use a rubber mallet to install the insulators onto the ends of the spring.

A STRIP OF PLASTIC NYLON IS ATTACHED TO ONE SIDE OF THE INSERT. THIS SIDE SHOULD FACE UP TOWARD THE REMAINING SPRING LEAVES.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

hope this helps,

AKDmax
08-30-2002, 18:45
Thanks dcpdave, now if I could just get the dealership to return my phone call. Voice mail is a convienent way of saying "we don't give a crap, you already bought it." good to see there is a service manager willing to help. Too bad you don't live in Fbks.

mackey_62
08-30-2002, 21:11
dcpdave,
Thanks alot, sure is nice to have this in writing with bulletin numbers. I'm printing a copy of this thread to put right in with my service records.
I also will avoid 5w30. Easy enough to find 5w40 if not easier.

LanduytG
09-07-2002, 19:58
IMHO way is 5W-40 the only oil listed in the owners manual but not a 30 weight oil? Well I will tell you way, its because their is only one 30 weight oil on the market that can give the protection of a 40 weight, and you just can't go to the local auto parts store to get it either. Although Delvac is not all that easy to find either.

Guys are so hung up on what the manual says. Just think about it for a minute. If you can have a 30 weight that will perform better than a 40 weight way not use it? You will not only get better protection with it but you might also get a little better fuel economy.

In this day and age of technology tell me way you can't have a 30 weight that will out perform a 40 weight. Granted some older diesels do not perform well with a 30 weight like to old 6.2/6.5 or 7.3. But face it engines are built better through machining as well as better material so the better 30 weight oil is a great choice.

Now for the part in the manual that states just because you are using a synthetic does not mean you can go to longer drain intervals. Hocky do on that, it has been proven time and time again that it can be done. If I remember right even Delvac claims extended drains.

After all this don't you think GM is trying to sell you parts? Of course they are, service parts is one of the ways they make big money. I deal with this daily with a few commercial accounts that I have. They want their customer to believe that they can only get the right stuff from them.

I have many customers with Duramax's that are on the Series 3000 5W-30 and oil analysis is always great. I have a customer that pulls trailers with his for a living and just chaged it out when it had 50,000 miles on the Series 3000. The only reason he changed it was that he got a little nevous. After 50K miles the Fe was 90, Lead 18, Copper 18, Tin 5, Aluminum 10, Silcon 13, Soot 2%, OXD 14.%4 and NOX 10,0% and this was after 50,000 miles. I have another with 10,000 miles on it that is great, iron 11, Aluminum 0, Copper 25, Lead 9, Tin 0, this report does not give soot level. Dodge's with over 200,000 miles on the same oil using Series 3000. You will not get me to believe the Series 3000 does not work.

The AC Delco oil filters are not even a tier one filter. Don't get me wrong the AC Delco is a good filter, but its far from the best.

The book is recommendations only it is not written in stone it does not say your warranty is void if you don't use this stuff. I just hate to see guys get so hung up on what the book says stuff, on very rare occasion do I follow what the book says, I try to use common sence in what I do. GM as well has any other company's are looking out for themselves. Also I am not saying that Amsoil is the only stuff to buy. I just want people to open their eyes a little and see just whats out there.

Just my .02 worth.
Greg

[ 09-07-2002: Message edited by: LanduytG ]</p>

mackin
09-07-2002, 20:30
I've been running Amsoil synthetic 15w 40 all year (I will continue except for the winter) but seeing the oil pressure needle pin in the winter I picked up a 4 gallon case of Mobil Delvac 1 the other day to try this winter.....Your right about trying to find it at a store .... There is a Mobil distributor real close to me where I buy my company oil supplies from....He sells the 4 gallon case for $82 bucks....Was it worth it or could I get it cheaper in the future if I run it????? An advertiser here sells it ,,,,,Don't they?????
=&gt;http://www.mobil.com/mobil_lubes/onhighway/products_services/delvac1/specs_content.html

MAC

yup=&gt;http://www.avlube.com/

$82 bucks was a OK.......

[ 09-07-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

LanduytG
09-07-2002, 20:52
mackin
I think you are right in the ball park on price for the Delvac. Delvas in the winter will be almost like the 15W-40 on a cold start. It will be interesting to see what you get.
Greg

mackin
09-07-2002, 21:06
Greg,

Thanks for getting that rush shipment out a week ago......

Good service guys.......

I'll let you know if it's still pinning .....As far as spinning over? It was fast with the Amsoil, never dragged.....Started up in Vermont friggen 15 below cranked over no problem but the needle was buried for a long time idling and traveling down the road it was pinned so I took it easy till engine temp came up ......So for comparison I will try the Delvac, if the results are the same I will go back to running the Amsoil year round .....

MAC