PDA

View Full Version : 02' airbox wheel well sticky cover thing

motovet
08-28-2002, 00:01
I seem to remember some discussion on this subject but don't remember what everyone was doing with this thing. I had the Amsoil out for cleaning and got to looking at the cover. Is it best to leave it on, or will removing it provide more cooler air to be drawn in? Why is it there in the first place?

SoCalDMAX
08-28-2002, 00:06
It's there to cover the hole in the fender. The '01 airbox had a snorkel that went into the fender, the '02 airbox has the entire side removed and the aluminum foil tape covering the hole.

I suppose if you removed it, cooler air could enter, but I wonder if more dirt could as well. I think most people are leaving it alone unless it comes loose, then they toss it. It's your call.

Regards, Steve

Colorado Kid
08-28-2002, 08:14
I think it is just what it looks like, a Band-aid! It's there to keep water out of the airbox becasue the snorkle equiped '01's could pull water throught the snorkle in heavy rain. Unfortunately the wizzards who created this emergency fix didn't look at where water likes to run off the hoods of the trucks, so the '02s can also get water in the airbox because the gap at the edge of the hood directs it there when it is sitting still in heavy rain, or a car wash. :rolleyes:

On edit: Oh yeah, I forget to say I plan to leave mine where they put it unless it gets sucked into the filter. If it does I'll throw it out an not worry about it. I don't believe there is any real benefit or drawback either way...the D-max does not seem to be starving for air like many other engines.

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: Colorado Kid ]</p>

keilb
08-28-2002, 08:58
Mine sucked into the filter housing before I had 40 miles on the truck. I threw it away and have had no problems in 13000+ miles. Still looking for a decent air box and not one with the K&N junk filter in it.

Maxxheadroom
08-28-2002, 17:36
keilb
try a stock 2002 airbox and an Amsoil air filter (2 stage foam) and see what ya think...no need to swiss cheese it!! plenty of air flow