PDA

View Full Version : Loss of take off power

sixl
08-28-2002, 16:36
I have a 02 Dmax with 20,000 miles it is juiced with 4" straight pipe, aFe cold air setup and ram air hood. It started last week with the loss of power so I changed my fuel filter and still has no 1st gear power, once it hits 2nd it takes off like before. No other problems that I can tell still run grate other than take off. :confused:

Kennedy
08-28-2002, 18:21
Dollars to donuts it may be MAF sensor related.

Put the stock air box back on and drive it once to see. I haven't seen where AFE is relocating the sensor to, but bear in mind, the MAF has a VERY strong influence on fuel delivery.

Also check the foil that covers the opening in the inner fender. Shouldn't bother a cone type filter but...

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

Mark A
08-28-2002, 20:03
My truck did the same thing. Wouldnt make boost till 2000 rpm and then took off. On my truck it was caused by the K&N FIPK. I believe 'now' after some convincing by Kennedy that the mass air is relocated causing an inconsistent reading therefore setting the codes. Clear the codes ran like a champ and five minutes later a turd. Now i have stock air box on it and no more problems.

Mark

tpitt
08-29-2002, 13:30
I also have the AFE cold air intake and haven't had a problem at all. I really don't know whether or not I gained any power. ( I don't really think so) I think about all I gained was a little more turbo noise. When I have some more time I will test it with the stock filter back on it. I'm not really convinced that an open cone filter is such a good idea anyway. I can see the potential for a lot more dirt entering the engine.
tpitt