PDA

View Full Version : Mega Filter MOD

brevam
03-08-2004, 09:18
A little over a year ago I bought a Mega Filter and installed it Post OEM. I had problems with air getting trapped and the truck stalling out seconds after starting. One day when we were camping my wife took my daughter fishing. About an hour after they were due to return I started getting worried. The first thought I had was that the truck had stalled and I never showed my wife how to bleed and prime it. Upon my return from camping I removed the mega filter.
I was talking to BlueOx a couple of months ago and he asked me to try a Mega Filter that he had modified. I have had it on for over a month and I have a 1009 miles on it with out a problem. Now I know that a lot of variables have been changed and it has only been a 1009 miles on it so I'm not ready to call it the absolute cure. I am however able to say that I have gone three hundered miles past my "best" distance on the old filter with out a hiccup.

This is really great form me because I love the size of the Mega Filter and it's numbers and I really wanted to put it Post OEM.

BlueOx deserves all the credited and as such deserves to answer all your technical questions.

Thanks BlueOx and I will keep my fingers crossed.

Bruce.

LakeDaisy
03-08-2004, 11:56
I also have a mod on my mega. Got it from Kennedy. I have put about 500-600 miles on mine since installing the mod. Have checked the mega twice and have found no air in the system at all. The best part is with no air in the system there is absolutely no hesitation in the engine when I press on the gas pedal. This is great.

RocketsDmax
03-08-2004, 22:21
Sooooooo is this a 20 questions, or are you guys gonna let us know what they did!?

Kennedy
03-09-2004, 05:51
In my case, it involves drilling a bleed hole in the center post and installing an orificed plug to allow the air to pass.

The best solution is to add a lift pump and keep it under pressure so the air does not occur. This keeps BOTH filters full...

rjschoolcraft
03-09-2004, 06:01
John,

Have you installed a lift pump on your truck?

Kennedy
03-09-2004, 06:22
Been running one for quite some time now with excellent results!

[ 03-11-2004, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: kennedy ]

BassinRVer
03-09-2004, 11:10
Can I send my mega filter to BlueOx to make these changes?

Kennedy
03-09-2004, 12:16
Once we are certain that the fix is a fix, I'll be sending more out as needed. It is a simple do it yourself operation that involves drilling a hole in the nipple and installing a plug with a very tiny orifice.

The best way is still a lift pump though IMHO.

Sneaks
03-09-2004, 13:32
The best way is still a lift pump though IMHO. Problem there is the guy who is supposed to come up with a lift pump "kit" for the mega is dragging his heels. Not even a hint of when it'll hit the market.

DmaxMaverick
03-09-2004, 14:23

That'll leave a mark :D

Patiently waiting for the pump harness.
....Bleeding....Bleeding....Bleeding all zee time....

Kennedy
03-09-2004, 14:24
Yeah yeah yeah, I know...

Funny you should ask though. My electronics guy expects 10 sample circuit boards in late this week/early next so we should have 10 prototype harnesses coming soon!

Also been looking into pump options...

YZF1R
03-09-2004, 16:12
I'm also waiting in line. I have a feeling the wait will be worth it though. ;)

Steve

Lone Eagle
03-09-2004, 19:55
Let me guess John. Is it an air bleed on the discharge side of the filter. Later! Frank

Kennedy
03-10-2004, 05:55
Nope, still don't need that. The inner area will evacuate itself just fine.

I'm kinda waiting on BluOx's project to run longer as I am not sure what he accomplished. I know we both did the same thing, only in different locations.

Mine involves (and some may :rolleyes: me for this) a hole drilled in the nipple from outside to inside above the filter's mounting plate, and then a plug is inserted with a tiny orifice. This orificed hole is located about as high on the nipple as possible. It allows the air to cross over easily. Yes, some fuel may cross over as well, but the size of the hole will not allow much more than a fraction of a fraction of a percentage to pass, AND being located high like it is, it will predominantly see air. Any "heavies" in the fuel will follow the main flow of fuel down through the element, and up through the center post at approx 3/4" diameter.

The beauty of this mod is that it is easily reversible with a plug, and the average guy can do it in little more time than it takes to change the filter!

Buck
03-11-2004, 10:21
I have 1600 miles on kennedy's mega mod. Engine runs great and NO stalls... :cool:

BlueOx03
03-20-2004, 09:14
Wow, I've been on vacation for a couple weeks and it seemed that my ears were burning. It's good to get a thank you and so due credit, figures to see the usual stuff that goes along with it. I never had the air problem on my truck, but I'm glad to help correct for others.

The mod I developed involves drilling four 1/64" holes in the nipple just below the post seal, entirely on the clean side. The holes are drilled at a 30 degree angle to help the air move through the filter head, instead of building up around the nipple and causing problems. I had the holes drilled at a local machine shop. It cost more that way, but the results are much better than when attempted with a drill. The only way to reverse it is to replace the nipple, however what's the need to reverse something that works? It's not like a mod on a mod will cause warranty issues. I'm very glad to see that the mod I did for brevam's truck has worked out well. Good to hear that the spin off is working as well.

If any of you have more questions about the mod I did, feel free to drop me a line or post it up and I'll do my best to help.

bASSinrver-the answer to your question is yes. Yes you can send me your nipple and a check, and I'll take it to the machine shop for you. You just gotta pay for the shipping and machining.

Take care fellas,
Ox

Kennedy
03-21-2004, 06:30
Bassin,

Are you having stall problems?

I'd like to see a couple more of BlueOx's mods performed on trucks having problems.