PDA

View Full Version : aux. fuel setup

BigLakeDMAX
03-09-2004, 18:19
I'm looking at how to increase my fuel capacity and am considering either a larger replacement tank (www.supertanks.com) or a toolbox/tank combo from NorthernTool. If I go with the combo aux. tank, my choice is to have it pump into the OEM tank, or run it as a separate tank using a 6-port fuel selector valve. The question I have is that the fuel selector valves I've found have 3/8" ports. I believe the ID of our supply lines are 7/16"? I am planning to install a frame mounted filter and a lift pump (GM 158) which has 3/8" inlet and outlet as well. My question is, would the restriction of the fuel selector adversely effect performance or will the lift pump compensate for this? I am planning on adding a chip in the future as well and don't want fuel starvation problems. I see American Tank sells their tanks and install kits with this same fuel selector valve for our trucks.

Thanks!

Idle_Chatter
03-10-2004, 03:31
I've had a 43 gallon American Tank in my bed for over 2 years now. It uses the 6-way valve. The American Tank kit comes complete and the hoses are "stepped" 7/16" to 3/8". I've experienced no fuel starvation issues and been very happy with the extra capacity. I'm now looking closely at the Supertank, but would have to move my 6-way valve outside the frame rail and would want to reposition the fuel cooler rather than giving it up for a finned tube. Still on the "wish list," at least until warm weather.

Applecore
03-10-2004, 08:07
Two years ago I had a 35 gal diamond aluminum tank made to fit in the box. It has a vent and a filler (same filler as the cap on the fuel filler in the truck). I also purchased the larger filler tube from transfer flow. Then the tank is fitted with 3/8" fitting out the bottom and plumbed out the bottom of the box using fuel grade "rubber" tubing to an electric switch that is mounted on the back of the cab. Then from the switch it is plumbed to a fitting on the filler neck. All is run by gravity. I have a switch mounted on the dash (electrically connected by my dealer). It takes a long time to transfer the fuel, but I let the guage run down to about 1/4 full and then pull the switch. It takes about 45 min to to fill the tank, but it all takes place while running, so no problem. I don't have any guage in the aux tank, but that hasn't been a problem. The new filler neck has a large hole so you can use the large "tube" at the truck stop fuel fill.

reel time fishing team
03-10-2004, 12:02
www.transferflow.com (http://www.transferflow.com) also has replacement tanks. I had one installed 3 years ago, 45 gallons for a short bed.

Jim Cobler
03-10-2004, 19:27
I have a 60 gal. bed tank that is run through a frame mounted Baldwin 1259 filter/water separator and then to 6 port valve with no lift pump. I have had no stravation problems at all and I can read the sending unit in the bed tank from the factory dash guage with no problems. It is a neat set up.

MaxACL
03-13-2004, 17:40
Jim,

Questions on the plumbing. Can you email me?

miketheboo at hotmail dot com

Mike

MaxACL
03-13-2004, 17:41
Jim,

Or call 214 448-3527 in the evengings.