PDA

View Full Version : Diesel in my Crankcase

Boonbltz
09-21-2003, 10:20
Service manager informs me that FUEL RAIL PRESURE SENSOR needs replaceing to correct crankcase contamination and this does not jive with all post that I have read. He also says that the $486.00 dollar price tag is not covered under warranty. 2001 truck had injector pump replaced at 45000 miles and now has 65000 miles. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

BlueOx03
09-21-2003, 12:06
That doesn't sound right at all. I would take it to another dealer. Maybe someone on here knows a good one close to you.
Good Luck

TJ

FirstDiesel
09-21-2003, 13:12
Don't know if that's what's wrong but I suspect not but there is no way it shouldn't be under warranty. 100k on the engine and the last time I checked the fuel system is part of the engine. Find a new dealer.

hd90rider
09-21-2003, 14:18
There have been several cases of return lines coming loose and allowing fuel to get in the oil. Warranty is 100k miles. GM at first was not using loc-tite on these lines, they are now telling dealers to use it when repairing this problem. Vibration is the cause of the loose lines. Good luck :cool:

gene smith
09-21-2003, 14:31
Could be rust in the checks in the injectors also,Iwould find anathor dealer also talk to Dmaxallietech, he will lead you in the rite direction.
Geno

dmaxalliTech
09-21-2003, 17:38
Originally posted by Boonbltz:
Service manager informs me that FUEL RAIL PRESURE SENSOR needs replaceing to correct crankcase contamination and this does not jive with all post that I have read. He also says that the $486.00 dollar price tag is not covered under warranty. 2001 truck had injector pump replaced at 45000 miles and now has 65000 miles. Any advice would be highly appreciated. Fuel rail pressure sensor is external of the engine therefore will not allow contamination of the oil. It is covered under the 100k warr on the engine, you will be resposible for the $100.00 deductable though. If there is fuel in the oil, as mentioned above, its likely from an injector return line or leaking injector body. I would get out your owners manual/duramax supplement where it explains the warr and whats covered. It lists fuel system...

Boonbltz
09-21-2003, 18:43
Thanks for all the advise this will be additional ammo for my cause Monday, sure is a shame that the patient has to inform the doctor of the cure, guess thats just par for these times we live in, this truck was the first dmax in New Mexico, my PRIDE AND JOY (ordered from Denver Stevenson)and something I couldn't afford in the first place but worked hard to pay for and maintain, makes me truely ill inside to be handled this way, wish me luck.

FirstDiesel
09-22-2003, 03:07
I'd find a different dealer to ge the work done at. Let's see, they already have tried to cheat you on the warranty and seem to be head down the wrong path on the cure too. Why give them a chance for a third strike??

Kennedy
09-22-2003, 06:07
Diesel in crankcase would be either pump shaft or injector return lines.

YES, the pump can leak through. Word is, Bosch did not add a weep hole between the pump and crankcase seals... :rolleyes:

c5dura
09-08-2007, 10:18
So about 4 days ago I began noticing a strong smell of diesel fuel when I parked my truck. Drive it like that for another couple of days (it drove just fine.) Then yesterday I noticed oil on the ground under the engine and decided not to keep driving it.

Today I put it on the lift (yeah, fired it up one more time), and pulled off the skid plates to figure out where the oil was coming from. Turns out it was coming out the vent tube that exits at the front of the engine by the harmonic balancer.

Next I pulled the dip stick and was shocked to discover that the oil level was about 3 times higher than the full mark (it was above that metal guide ball thingy futher up on the dip stick).

So I'm pretty sure I have a blown injector. Fortunately, I have a letter from GM dated June 2004 where they state that they extend the warranty to 7 years for any injector related issues. I plan to have my truck towed to the dealer on Monday to have whatever injector that failed replaced.

My concern is if any other damage took place driving it around for 4 days running a mixture of oil (Rotella T Synthetic) and #2 diesel? Should I insists that the dealer checks my main bearings or do some other type of test to ensure that my engine isn' going to seize up or something down the road?

Truck in an 02 that I purchased new and only has 70k on it and has been very well maintained.

I just made my final payment on it this month. The irony...

Rabbler
09-08-2007, 23:05
I wouldn't be too worried unless you have strange engine noises.

I know of at least 2 other trucks that has fuel leaks as bad as yours and both had only injectors replaced.

Both are still running 2 years later with no problems. both engines also had 140k+

You can bring it up at the dealership but I don't think they will tear it down unless there is a noticeable noise or oil pressure problem.

c5dura
09-09-2007, 05:47
Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. No, there are no strange engine noises or anything, so hopefully everything will be ok.

Btw, I'm using Baldwin fuel filters from Kennedy. I sure hope they are not going to try to pull a quick one and tell me that is what caused the issue.

redbird2
09-09-2007, 06:47
I just took 2003 c4500 in for smoking at idle started 2 weeks ago noticed Thrusday was little over full on oil when got to dealer Friday AM it was now 2 qts over full. they took care of mine replaced all 8 injectors no questions asked warranty covered it all.
I have had other trucks that filled crank case with fuel before I can not remember any of the failing in the 25 years I've been working on this fleet. some of these where high mileage over the road tractors and we run them to 1 million miles plus before we sell them. Now the gas engine trucks thats a whole another ball game
You should be fine that engine just getting broke in.

good luck

DmaxMaverick
09-09-2007, 18:07
I haven't seen/heard of any lubrication related engine failures after injector or return line failure. Mine seems fine 40K after the first incident.

Duramaster
09-09-2007, 19:04
I have personally replaced DMAX injectors on vehicles that were way overfull with the fuel/ oil mix. Like 2 1/2 to 3 gallons overfull. The engine of course had a vibration. After the repair and the oil change, no problems what so ever with the engine. The DMAX must have one heck of a set of bearings in it!!! :cool:

Horse_gal_jen
09-18-2007, 10:20
dealership tried the blame the fuel filter scenario on me when my injector went. I blew a gasket myself!

Called GM myself and discussed it with them and they gave the authorization to replace them under warranty.

otis700
09-18-2007, 13:57
When my injectors went at 65K miles, I had quite a bit of fuel in the oil. I had to drive it that way for about 60 miles as I was towing my camper home.

I havent had any problems since then (aside from more injectors). Truck has 135K now.