PDA

View Full Version : Need for additional system monitors?

Grouseboy
03-10-2004, 07:05
This question is directed more to TDP, but I'd welcome anyone more experienced than myself's opinion.

I am new to diesel, having just purchased my '04 Sierra 2500HD in early February. One of my primary reasons for moving to diesel (other than the fact that I love the smell of diesel in the morning) was to tow my 26' ft travel trailer (+/-6000#) up the mountains of PA. My prior Sierra 1500 5.7L gasser was struggling on the steeper grades. Being new to diesel, I read Jim's "Diesel Primer". In it, he discusses monitoring boost pressure and EGT when towing, which would require installing those guages since they're not stock. However, in one of his "Pull-Off" side articles, he indicates that the Allison rep didn't care about the EGT, which Jim attributes to the LLY's output being capped below its true potential.
To make a short story long, should I really have these gauges installed and be concerned with boost pressure and EGT given that my tow weight is pretty much at the low end of the LLY's range or should I save whatever little money I have left and only install them at a later date if I move up in tow weight?

DonG
03-10-2004, 12:26
Grouseboy,

Welcome to the Forum. The gauges and other instruments are not really necessary for you to use the truck as you plan. The truck will handle that load without getting near any limits on EGT or boost.

Gauges provide additional and important information if you have added power enhancements that may take the truck outside its normal operating enviroment.

Gauges are also neat to watch and provide feedback on how your truck is operating, but they are not required.

Don

dmaxalliTech
03-10-2004, 18:09
I think Don G is right. If you were to add some mods to your truck in an attempt to improve power and tow, then I would call them a need, but in stock trim, pulling your relativly light load, you will be fine

Grouseboy
03-10-2004, 18:37
Thanks to both of you. Your replies are much appreciated. I've been a visitor to the site for the last year as I pondered the diesel move and have followed your comments closely. I have to wrap a cold towel around my head trying to figure out what some of the mods even do. Momma didn't raise no rocket scientists. Thanks again.

Jomar
03-10-2004, 20:55
Grouseboy, you`ll hardly know that 6000# trailer is behind you.

Jomar

Grouseboy
03-16-2004, 05:57
Jomar,

You were right about that. I pulled the trailer out of storage this past weekend and towed it to my house (+/- 20 miles, rolling hills). I couldn't believe the difference from my old gasser. I can't wait to test it out on some more serious incline. That 500 miles at 50mph break-in period is going to kill me though. The tractor trailers will be blowing me off the highway. Guess I'll have to tighten down the sway bar a bit.