PDA

View Full Version : Edge Chip Installation

Bugsy
12-19-2004, 18:01
My EDGE chip will be here next week. I didn't get the monitor since my dealer would go beserk if they saw that on there.
I have the 2004.5 LLY and have already read the installation instructions and how to set it. All I want is to push the tow-haul button and get that 90 HP boost to go look for that guy in the Powerstroke who just BARELY beat my stock setup.
Before I put it in-is there any tips or advice I need?
Should I go from a light in 4-wheel drive or 2 wheel? Tow the brake at the start?
Need racing tips too.
BUGSY

dmaxalliTech
12-19-2004, 19:05
plug it in per the instructions and set it to the desired level per instructions, then push on the right pedal to your hearts content. Race tips? First guy to the line wins. From a light? Depends on how much tire smoke you want.

Enjoy your new toy!

Bugsy
12-20-2004, 12:00
OK, I put the Attitude in and it was very simple.
I set the level for 90 HP when the Tow-Haul button is pushed and then no power increase when just driving around in Drive.
Here is what happened.
It was a dog out of the hole in 2WD by just mashing the pedal and after a second or so took -off and burned a little rubber and shifted then slowed down and did that until high gear. It hesitates in-between gears and like letting off the gas and then pushing back down.
Next, I tried towing the brake in 2WD and pushing all the way down on the gas and letting the RPM come up to 2,000 and let it loose. Don't do that unless you wanna buy new tires pretty quick.
That is out.
Next, 4-wheel and tow the brake until it hit 2,000 RPM and let it loose. Snapped my head back and away it went with some minor spin and a little chirp.
So, this didn't take long to figure out.
That hesitation between gears has me wondering if the EDGE chip is operating properly.
The transmission temp never moved off normal.

More Power
12-20-2004, 13:44
The pause between gears is somewhat normal. I suspect it is a combination of factory powertrain programming and Edge programming to prolong transmission life.

During a shift, the Allison drops one clutch and brings another clutch into play to complete the transition to the next higher gear range. During this phase, power is brought back to allow everything to happen more smoothly, and to minimize slippage, which can be more important at higher power levels.

Also, shift quality will change somewhat as the Allison Adaptive Learn process adjusts to your new driving style.

MP

ADub
12-20-2004, 14:13
I know the 4l60E transmissions had "torque management" that performed similarly to help prolong transmission life. I would assume the HD autos have it too