PDA

View Full Version : 85 6.2 using water

mark g
02-07-2004, 16:10
hello all, i just bought a military balzer from the govt, this one looks and runs good but it using water BAD.
where do the heads crack and what else could be wrong?
motor has not been out, truck was built in oct-84. driver head is off but i cant tell anything, still has a green dot on the back of the head. i will pull the other side tomorrow.
truck is showing 54k miles, first bad motor i have got in a while.
what should i have done to the heads? or just get some rebuilt?

thanks for the help!! this is the LL4 motor. crankcase is full of water-oil mix. radiator is getting pressure out the overflow. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sneaks
02-07-2004, 18:54
Dumb question: What is a balzer?

mark g
02-07-2004, 19:19
you got me!! should be blazer, as in m1009. so much for spell check. :mad: :mad:

Old6.2
02-10-2004, 08:27
Post again in the 6.2 forum and you should get some responses.

mark g
02-10-2004, 09:55
ive got the heads at the machine shop, cylinders still had cross-hatch .
im beginning to think the gaskets were bad or the bolts were stretched. heads looked good but we will see, more later, thanks. :rolleyes:

84 Convert
02-19-2004, 18:55
Probably bad gaskets. That is what it looks like on my CC. The last time I ran it most of the water got blown out the radiator cap, then what was left hydrolocked the motor when I tried to leave work! Good luck on your repairs.

Gregg

mark g
02-19-2004, 19:35
got my heads back today and they were not cracked, bought new bolts and should have the truck back on the road tomorrow, we'll see what happens.
im learning one thing about putting the heads back on, even though the exhaust is a pain to put on later do it, NOT at the same time like i did and try to fish the head-exhaust down on the block and tear up those 28$ head gaskets like i did once and almost twice. :mad: :mad: :mad: live and learn.

mark g
02-20-2004, 19:07
heads not busted and on the truck, but the problem is not fixed, water is getting in the crankcase and the radiator is being pressurized just like before, back to square one, or get another motor, any ideas? help? :confused: :confused:

arveetek
02-23-2004, 12:55
I wish I had seen this earlier. Water getting into the crankcase is almost always a cracked cylinder wall. Unless something got messed up with the head gaskets during installation and/or there was an unseen crack in the heads, then it almost has to be a block problem.

Sorry. :(

mark g
02-23-2004, 13:40
the truck sure does run good to have a cracked block, and the cooling system pressure leads me to think the heads are leaking. :( :(

i was reading that the their is a way to "sleeve" the head, heard of that? i dont know what else to do except tear the engine completely down. a buddy of mine has a complete motor, and ive got lots of parts so i can make something work, its just the gaskets and head bolt cost are adding up. :eek: :eek:

i actually had a valve job done and they checked for cracks but did not pressure check, that will be the next thing i do.thanks for the response

mark g
03-06-2004, 15:21
number 3 cylinder liner was cracked, i finally tore it down and thats what it was.

bought another motor, now ive got a very expensive set of heads. thanks for all the help.