PDA

View Full Version : Elevated Idle on LLY

KWComp
12-20-2004, 05:11
Before I start asking questions I would like to say Hi and intorduce my self. My name is Kevin and I am an Engineer for a GM supplier. I have been working on the GMT 800 since 1995 as a Body in White Engineer. I have a fair bit of knowledge about the structure and various model year changes about these trucks so feel free to hit me up with questions if you would like. Now my question. I am on my second Duramax, my current one is an 05 LLY and I was reading how to turn the Elevated Idle on (using the brake and accelerator pedal) for vehicles that dont have the DIC controls in the steering wheel. My question is can you tell me how you turn it off. I was able to activate it but the owners manual does not tell you how to deactivate it unless you have the controls in the steering wheel. Thanks in advance for any help guys!!

Kennedy
12-20-2004, 07:14
I have an operational overview posted here:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Fast_Idle_Description_LLY_Duramax.htm

From there, the typical manual PTO hi idle is also still operational via the 12v application to ECM pin just like the LB7. Different pin, and location, same function. Pin #6 on the lowermost connector.

KWComp
12-20-2004, 11:39
Hi Kennedy, thank you for the help. I assume from your site that following the same sequence i used to turn the elevated idle on should also turn it off unless I misread something. I tried that and it did not turn it off. The DIC on the dash just keeps telling me elevated idle on each time I try the sequence. Does this mean I have something wrong or am I just doing something incorrectly?

SLT556
12-24-2004, 13:13
Off topic high idle question: I think the the Duramax supplement manual said high idle kicks in when coolant temp is below 32 degreese. Is this right? Mine seems to kick in anywhere below 40.

RdTxTd
12-24-2004, 14:26
I haven't gotten mine to kick in above 32 degrees, tried before at 35 and it did nothing. I actually used it the first time this morning. The temp on the mirror read 31, so I turned on elevated idle and the engine went up to about 1200 RPM.

Dave

Kennedy
12-27-2004, 09:13
The major flaw that I see is that they use the IAT (intake air temp) reading which is in the air box, and greatly influenced not only by underhood air, but possibly by the heated element of the MAF sensor as well as headlamp heat.

Basic criteria = Underhood temps below 32