PDA

View Full Version : Need Turbo advice...

ol9465er
07-24-2005, 07:19
Hello all...

How much oil should be coming through the turbo. I have 182375 miles on my truck so I am sure there is going to be some. I have a fair amount and I am worried about carbon deposits etc..

I would like advice on rebuilding my turbo. My manuals don't show anything on this. Can I rebuild it or at least replace seals. Any info/help appreciated.

Cheers,

ol9465er
1994 Chev 6.5 TD 4x4 LWB
291800 KM (182375 Miles)

BobND
07-24-2005, 08:10
On these engines, the crankcase ventilation system dumps the oil-laden blow-by into the turbo intake.

90% of "leaky turbo's" are just fine, and the leaked oil is simply oil that has been centifuged out of the crankcase ventilation stream by the compressor wheel in the turbo.

As the pistons rings and cylinder bores wear, blowby increases even more, taking more oil droplets with it into the turbo.

Try disconnecting the little tube that goes into the turbo inlet elbow while the enine is idling, and note the quantity of oily air that blows out.

Tough Guy
07-24-2005, 16:25
Unless you consistantly run super high EGT's or many severe hot shut off's, meaning turning the truck off before EGT's are below 350F all the time...Your turbo should last as long as the engine. I have 170,000 hard miles on mine and it works just peachy...

Cheers