PDA

View Full Version : question for HDLD and other dynomax and magnaflow owners

James S
09-22-2003, 08:20
Hey There,

What is your Magnaflow exhaust like? Power increase, torque increase, and sound??? I have someone wanting my ATS duals, and they are offering me more than I paid for them, so I think I will sell them. I am looking at either this system you have, or the Dynomax system. Owners of either of these systems, could you please give me feedback, if you don't mind? Thanks for this.

James

[ 09-22-2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: James S ]

CanadaKev
09-23-2003, 15:49
James,

I'm fairly pleased with the Magnaflow 4" system.
Definately opens things up as compared to stock.
Has a nice throaty sound but not near as load as our 'burb w/a 454 and Banks exhaust.
Did the AFE air intake at the same time to try and increase airflow.
Don't really know if it increased HP(maybe nominally), But it definately runs cool(egt's stay down), and the turbo will spool up to about 25. Didn't have gauges prior to the air/exhaust upgrade, so don't know what she spooled up to, stock.

Kev

Corndog
09-23-2003, 17:47
I have the Dynomax system on my truck. It has alot of drone at low RPM's when the turbo isn't making any boost. I ordered the kit and thought I was getting every thing from the down pipe back, but all that was in the kit was from bolted flange back. So if you ordered the other piece to go from the down pipe back to the flange you are going to have your 4" exhaust sqeezed down to 3.5" at the flange so you wouldn't gain any thing other than the open meffler. Hope this helps. :confused:

HDLD
09-23-2003, 20:03
My response is highly subjective. I have not been in anyone else's truck, let alone one with a 4" exhaust.

I don't think there is any resonation on mine. I picked it up from the Canadian distributor but had a shop down the street from where I work put it on as they are an authorized installer/reseller. They spot welded the bolts
and did a great job. Didn't hose me even though I hadn't purchased it from them.

Cruising at highway speed, RPM's at 2k or below, it's fairly quiet, just what I wanted. Seems to put out a fair bark when you step on it. As CanadaKev says, a nice throaty sound. Funny how the ricer's will add a bit of throttle as they pass by, not realizing their tone sound's like a soprano in comparison. I don't engage them.

Would love to have had a G-Tech to see if there was any difference. I thought there was a wee bit but this may have been related to turbo spooling up quicker. Added JK's UNI-Filter a couple of weeks later but didn't really notice anything further after that install. As many have said, I doubt there is much in the way of performance increase but that's not why most purchase them.

At 2100-2500RPM, it gets a little noisier. Sometimes I throw tow/haul on when in stop n go and I find it a little too noisy just before it shifts, esp. into 5th. Sort of antithetical to the situation - there's no where to go, why make all that noise?

At 2500RPM and above, it is much louder. Hoping to get a 5er some year and am a little concerned about it sounding louder when pulling. All driving to date with it has been unloaded.

I also don't have guages installed yet. Was holding off for the new Juice Controller but have given in to temptation and just bought a Quad 135HP. Will run in it's lowest setting till I can monitor EGT's.

Last week I was driving home from work on a backroad that has a 2-way stop out in the middle of nowhere. 2 Harley's were approaching from the opposite direction. We each hit the stop signs at the same time. They were having fun, making lots of noise. As we passed each other through the intersection, I went to WOT and looked in my rear view. The trailing biker's brake light came on shortly after as he was looking down, seemingly inspecting his exhaust. I think he thought it must have fallen off! It was priceless. I couldn't stop laughing for a few miles.

In summary, I'm very pleased. The 5" stainless tip certainly stands out. When the family are in the vehicle, I just take it easy and so far no one's commented, so I'll take that as a good sign!

Idle_Chatter
09-24-2003, 17:03
I did a Magnaflow 4" "mufflerectomy" and put a 4" Magnaflow into my stock 3-1/2" system. I'm very happy with it. It does add some increased noise and vibration into the cab, but it's only worrysome to me at around 1500 rpm and 45 mph. Since I don't spend much time there, it's not a big deal. ;) I noticed about 150 to 200 degrees in EGT drop across the board when I cut out the factory "oil drum" muffler. Turbo seems to spool up a bit quicker, but not anything that's a major change. I've had mine on for nearly 50,000 miles now and am very pleased.

max out
09-26-2003, 12:36
I would think that with an intake and pipe mod one would notice something beings your flowing more air through the big air pump?