PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter removal

PONCH
03-12-2004, 13:11
OK ALL OF YOU MECHANICS HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU BREAK LOOSE THE FUEL FILTER OF THIS 2003hd D/A???

HOW TIGHT SHOULD IT BE?

IS THERE A SPECIAL REEMOVAL WRENCH?

THANKS AHEAD OF TIME!
ponch

jbplock
03-12-2004, 16:29
Ponch,

I just changed my OEM fuel filter today and I used a rubber strap wrench to loosen the filter. I access the filter through the wheel well and feed the strap around the filter. I also wipe off the filter and strap with a little brake cleaner so the rubber strap will have a good grip - filter comes off easy. When installing the new filter I use some Parker Super O-lube on the O rings (thanks Tommy) and hand tighten... then I give the filter a slight snug with the wrench (not as strong as I used to be)

There are a variety of other good methods people use. A forum search should turn up some more info.

smile.gif

PONCH
03-12-2004, 17:01
THanks jbplock I'll try that.
Did you get the parkers at the auto store?

see ya bye

Lone Eagle
03-12-2004, 20:59
Diesel or lube oil will work just fine also. Later! Frank

jbplock
03-13-2004, 05:45
Ponch,

I bought the Super O lube (http://www.bvmjets.com/Accessories/superlube.htm) form a local parker distributor. I’ve never seen it at an auto parts store. It’s a silicone based lube like dielectric grease but it has some other stuff in it that makes it “sticky” which helps hold the top O-ring in place. As Frank said oil also works and Silicone (dielectric) grease is another good choice. The main thing is to be sure the top O-ring is seated and doesn’t roll-out of the groove when tightening. Also be sure the old o-ring comes off with the old filter.

smile.gif

Kiwi1
03-15-2004, 18:50
Ponch: I bought a simple "strap filter wrench" that is attached to one end of a piece of 9 inch square hollow steel. Is the right size for a half-inch rachet and works like a charm. I slip it down from the top side and pull the strap up on the bottom edge of the filter. Biggest trouble I have is disconnecting the wires for the moisture detection system. Apart from that, changing a filter can be done easily in less time than my dealer's quote of 0.6 hours. I got the strap wrench from O'Rielly's for $6.50, about 3 years ago.

mdrag
03-15-2004, 20:03
Ponch,

I've had good luck using a LISLE CORP #63500 "BIG RANGE" STRAP FILTER WRENCH (http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=1050) as described by Kiwi 1.

A 1/2" rachet and extension work well with the strap wrench. Remember to make sure you are loosening the filter rather than tightening - it's easy to turn the wrong way if you remove the filter from the top :eek: Positioning the strap as close as possible to the filter base will minimize crushing the filter canister during removal.

http://www.lislecorp.com/images/filter/63500l.gif

I've seen Lisle Corp tools at Sears's, and most auto parts stores should have a similar tool available. Good luck.

Idle_Chatter
03-16-2004, 04:34
I second Mdrag's recommendation on the nylon strap wrench (bought mine at Autozone - don't know if it's a Lisle or not)! I have removed my fender liner for all but one of my fuel filter changes. Couple of changes ago, my check-ball in the filter head did not seat and I wound up with fuel leaking everywhere during the change. The fuel-coated filter housing made my rubber strap wrench useless! However, the nylon strap wrench tightened up and gripped great even soaked with fuel. Carry mine in the truck all the time. "Never leave home without it!" smile.gif

PONCH
03-16-2004, 05:35
THANKS guy's I found the strap wrench at auto zone and it worked very well.
I appreciate all that answered.
PONCH