PDA

View Full Version : Is the D-Max right for me? Please read!

ccole
03-14-2004, 19:32
Hello All....
I am going to attempt to make a long story short here. I have always driven diesels since I began driving. My first vehicle in high school was a 1978 5.7 Chevy....which I loved until it caught that "head gasket virus." Anyway, I have since owned 6.2's, 7.3L IDI Fords, and 7.3L Powerstrokes. Which all have been good to me. My last pickup I purchased is a 2003 GMC 2500HD with a 6.0L gasser. I do like the truck, but the mileage is terrible (13 MPG), and most importantly, I miss my diesel! Anyway, I truly want to stay a Chevy/GMC owner, but just curious on what you guys think of the Duramax. I like the looks of GM so much better than F*rds, and truly am a GM kind of guy at heart. But, I only live about 3 minutes from work, and wonder how these DMax's turbos will hold up, with the consistent short driving distances from home to work and vice-versa. Also, are you guys overall happy with the new (2003 and newer) Dmax's? Do they have the bugs worked out of them yet? Please give me your honest opinions of your truck and if you would buy another. Thanks You So Much!

Kiwi1
03-14-2004, 19:50
Cole - I drive a 2001 D/A 2500HD and love the beast. Am tipping 50K miles, used a lot for short runs to the office and home, but I do plug in a good number of long trips, hauling a trailer. Apart from an early computer glitch where the it locked in second gear and a small oil leak from the crankcase breather pipe (O-ring put in wrong at the factory), I've not had a lick of trouble. The only complaint I have is the spit-bowl size fuel tank. At 26 gallons this isn't enough to get past 450 miles, but my bladder lasts only about that long anyway.

On the highway, running empty I regularly manage 19 mpg, but that's at 2100 rpm (74 mph), so traveling a little slower would make 20 mpg possible. That's not with the winter fuel blend, but rather summer driving. If my truck was stolen or written off tomorrow, I'd get the same machine again, but in crew cab style.

There are not too many opportunites to post "good" truck stories as most here are looking for solutions to problems. I change my own filters and do all the servicing, including tire rotations. Get to make sure everything is operating well this way. Take my post as a strong vote for the D/A combo and get yourself into a good looking vehicle. Good luck to you.

DonG
03-14-2004, 22:58
ccole,

The Duramax is a good engine and I believe most of the early injector problems have been delt with. That does not mean it is perfect however.

I really question buying a full size truck with a diesel to drive 3 minutes to work. If that is your main use, then I think you will be disappointed. A diesel is a heat machine and does not perform well until it is fully heated. That takes 30 minutes usually, longer on cold days.

The Duramax diesel works great as a long run vehicle, or as a good size tow vehicle.

Sorry to rain on your idea, but you need to evaluate all aspects.

Don

ccole
03-15-2004, 06:32
Hello and thank you for the replies. I guess I need to clarify myself. I use my vehicle as a passenger car to drive a short distance to work and also use it as work-horse for other projects that require a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. I often pull a 11,000lb gross trailer. So, I need something for heavy duty use, but also use it as a car......

Johnny Diesel
03-15-2004, 09:16
Well thats pretty much what I use mine for too. I run around short trips in town at one end of the spectrum. At the other end of the scale I plow snow for hours on end and tow 9200 lbs plus all summer. No problems here. Anyway thats what the warranty would be for. For winter you really should plug it in and use half of the winter front for some heat. Other than that and some guys offroading complain about tie rod ends this is a bullet proof set up.

mark45678
03-15-2004, 13:54
Ccole if your puling 11K more then once a month and are doing it for more then 50 miles each pull the diesel is the only way to go but if your only putting 10~12000 miles on it a year the 8.1 is the best way to go! I had a 2001 dmax and now I have 2004 lly dmax, My buddy has a 2001 hd with the 8.1 it pulls 11k no problem but the fuel will kill ya! empty 12 mpg at best... pulling my trailer to dc with his truck we only got 7.5 mpg average! I get 12.6 avrage towing and 17+ on winter blend

SDakDmax
03-15-2004, 16:14
I have a 2001 and run a lot of short trips. It's only 7 blocks to work, and we drive it anyway, no problems. Don't forget to weigh in the resale value on your decision, have you looked at what a used 8.1 goes for lately? Good luck on your decision. Myself, I love my diesel and would get another.

ccole
03-15-2004, 17:18
Originally posted by C. Schroeder:
Don't forget to weigh in the resale value on your decision, have you looked at what a used 8.1 goes for lately? Good luck on your decision. Myself, I love my diesel and would get another. Thanks for the reply! Actually I havent even considered an 8.1 Liter. Probably because the 6.0 I currently own has such terriable fuel MPG, the 8.1 would scare me even more! But, I honestly havent compared resale values. I am assuming the Duramax retains its resale value much better than the 8.1 gasser.?.?.?.?

Dawg
03-15-2004, 18:45
My wife drives our truck to work each day. 4 miles with one stop sign! We get 16.5-17.5 mpg for her short trips. Pretty cool since this is my first diesel and only ran big blocks prior. We use the truck a lot in the summer to tow our travel trailer. We have had no problems with the truck. It has been great and fun to drive.

stolley
03-16-2004, 08:55
I was one of the "guinea pigs"... took delivery of my 2001 Dmax in Fall-2000. I'm also a full-time RVer, pulling 15K lbs. We've hauled from CA to Nova Scotia and back. We spend the winters in Palm Springs, CA area... so mostly short solo trips then. This truck has been "veddy veddy good to me"! :D My first diesel and I'm hooked! I'm tempted by the new LLY motor and some of the other improvements made over the years, so I'll likely will be ordering a 2005 this Fall.
Gas here in CA is $2.08/gal at FlyingJ, diesel $1.76. So even with my short-trip mileage of 17/gal I'm happy not to have a gasser. :cool:

Husker Fan
03-16-2004, 11:31
I literally drive mine 3 miles to work, with 2 stop signs. Plug it in during the winter months, makes it much easier on the engine. I pull a couple of different trailers for my company (20,000+ combined weight), have over 30,000 miles, and no problems. Buy the truck.

DmaxProf
03-16-2004, 12:02
I am glad to hear of other Dmax drivers who have similar driving patterns to me. My commute to work is less than a mile each way, so most of my driving is short trips. During the summer, however, we pull a 12,000 lb 5th wheel over some steep passes in Colorado. Have over 15,000 miles on the truck and so far it is the best towing vehicle I have ever owned. Is also the first diesel I have ever owned. My experience has been completely positive.

Lone Eagle
03-16-2004, 12:32
I retired and bought my 02 in the same week. It has 43K miles on it now. 50% short trips up town and 50% highway at 75MPH. My solo average is 18.58 and towing is 12.13. I drive it like a gasser. Later! Frank :D

TMS
03-16-2004, 13:15
I am a fairly new Duramax owner. First diesel and truly a Chevy man. My only concern is I can't seem to see the mileage some guys are claiming here. I only have 7K on mine. Best I can get is mid-16's on the highway and towed a snowmobile trailer with 4 sleds (probably 6K) to the UP and back last weekend .....10.5 was my best !!! :confused: Somebody help me ..... what am I not seeing here ???

Dawg
03-16-2004, 17:07
I check my mileage all the time. My mileage really started getting good after she hit the 15,000 mile mark. Don't know why but it did. Maybe it takes that long to break in.

ccole
03-16-2004, 20:30
Well........you guys have "settled my nerves." I feel a heck of alot more confortable about ordering a new Dmax for my needs. I think it is the solution to my problem! ;) ;) Thanks Again for the positive advise. I am sure I will be back in the near future, after I get my Dmax.