PDA

View Full Version : A Few Pics, and a few questions--

Texas Rancher
08-30-2002, 22:14
Here are a few pic of the pyro install I did. I wanted to keep it fairly simple, so I mounted an Isspro in the hole where the air bag switch is supposed to be.
The question(s) I wanted to ask is what size of wheels do you think would look trick on the D/A 4x4? Something like a 19"? Remember mine is not a dually. Please give me some websites to look at if possible.
Look at the pics of the pyro. It is a really good option for those wanting security without spendind the really big bucks. I picked up a piece of black plastic that matched the dash-looking plstic... I wired the pyro in so that it dims with the other lights, too. With the juice and all, I just thought the pyro should be top on the list...I never have been too fond of boost--even in my semi-trucks--but egt (pyro) is a MUST..
Here are the pics:
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3621162/1030766679442_PYRO__close_view.jpg
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3621162/1030766677819_PYRO__large_view.jpg

[ 08-31-2002: Message edited by: Texas Rancher ]</p>

Texas Rancher
08-30-2002, 22:20
Why the heck is the UBB code disabled? HUH?
I should at LEAST be able to post a LINK to my pics, wouldnt you think?
For now, please copy and paste..
Moderators, please explain why the UBB code is NOT enabled!!! :mad:

FirstDiesel
08-31-2002, 06:13
The answer we get is security issues. :rolleyes:

Paintdude
08-31-2002, 07:36
They claim it is a security issue..I have asked and asked for them to let us link, but they wont, they used to but, not anymore..

I feel that clickable links would benefit everyone, via: more info,illustrations,etc..

this is just my opinion and sometimes that don`t mean much, just ask my wife.. :D

pullinpower
08-31-2002, 07:46
Really clean install texas rancher,where did you find the plastic plate to mount in the open slot in the dash,Id like to mount mine there also.

[ 08-31-2002: Message edited by: pullinpower ]</p>

DMAXDiva
08-31-2002, 12:32
Hey TexasRancher:

I'd love to see your setup, but for some reason, I can't open the links (message indicates that said address could'nt be found). Has anyone else had any problems opening these links?

:confused:

mdrag
08-31-2002, 12:53
Texas Rancher,

Nice install. I choose the same location for my SPA DG-111 boost/egt gauge when I installed it over 1 year ago, and remain pleased with the location.

You could add an angle ring to tilt the gauge toward the driver for a better viewing angle. There are pics of my install at the first link in my sig in the SPA DG111 album.

UBB has been disabled for a number of months now. More Power made that decision based on security concerns. Sure, I miss the extra features just like the next guy/girl, but have learned to adjust - but it is worth noting that TDP forums have been more stable with less down time since the change... :D

DMAXDiva,

The links posted by Texas Rancher worked for me. It may be that you cut and pasted the ' and ' at the beginning and end of his links.

Try these:

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3621162/1030766679442_PYRO__close_view.jpg

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3621162/1030766677819_PYRO__large_view.jpg

[ 08-31-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

DMAXDiva
08-31-2002, 13:03
Thanks mdrag...

I'm once again guilty of one of those dreaded "brunette moments"... :rolleyes:

Texas Rancher:

Wow, that really looks great...nice job!

Texas Rancher
08-31-2002, 13:58
Thanks for the compliments.
The reason that I opted for the pyro that i did, is because the wife really was not that 'hot' on the idea of the pod/pillar setup...I think that the kind of install I did looks much more 'factory', but that is ~just~ a matter of opinion--it is not a dig to those of you that have the pod...i simply needed EGT because I am just a 'gauge-kind-of-guy' (in all my tractors, semi truck, feed trucks, etc)+ the Juice kinda' demands an EGT....The boost really does not matter to me, but I might add it for kicks later on...I did not opt for the Dakota Digital in the upper 'hole' because of economics and difficulty of install..the pics of the install looked much like a nightmare--plus--i dont want to have to look up like that to see my gauge readings...where i have it mounted; i can see the reading very 'naturally'...again, no dig to those that did the DD gauge up high--just my opinion..
This kind of install that I did was VERY VERY easy--i would almost venture to say that it would be a lot easier than a pod install...one thing, though, after doing a lot of experimenting with it, you have to screw/attach the plastic piece that I was able to get ahold of TO the 'empty box' that sets where the air bag switch is supposed to be--i was wanting to simply attach the plastic to the back of the dash cowl, but the plastic piece was WAY too far inset, and looked crappy...also, to make it much easier for some of you if you decide to do an install like this--it is the easiest to get the dim light off of the air conditioner, rather than the radio!! (if you want the Pyro to dim--i did!)

To answer your question, PullinPower, I got the black factory dash-looking plastic at a truck add-on shop here locally--if you need a piece, let me know--i got them to cut me a 6"x6" piece, and did not end up wasting much at all--i thought just by looking that i would only need something like a 4"x4", but BOY, I am sure glad I got it cut bigger than that.. Again, if you need any, let me know, and I will get you some--I think it was something like $7.50 (which is prolly too high--but I needed it right then)...Let me know if you need some--it matched better than the pic shows it to match!

mdrag
08-31-2002, 15:31
I used a piece of lexan/plexiglas (3/16" or so) for the mounting panel, with a single gauge metal mount behind the lexan. The single gauge mount was trimmed to fit inside the cubby and then bolted to the inside of the cubby. I cut the rear 1/2 of the cubby off for wire access.

The parts line up like this:

Gauge - angle ring - lexan panel - single gauge metal bracket - cubby.

Once the gauge was mounted to the lexan panel/cubby, the cubby snaps back into place just like before, and very easy to make adjustments or get to the wires if needed.

When all the adjustments were 'perfect', I took it apart, scufffed the lexan panel, and painted it with crinkle finish flat black. I originally was going to paint the back side of the lexan, with the unpainted/unscuffed side facing the cab. This gave the panel a 'too shiny' appearance and did not match as well, so I mounted the panel with the textured painted side out.

mdrag