PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference in Exhaust Brakes?

Web
03-16-2004, 13:18
I'm seriously considering adding an exhaust brake to my 2500HD D/A. With my 5th wheel, the rig weighs right about 20K and coming down Red Mountain in Colorado, I was beginning to get some brake fade, fortunately near the bottom.

Anyway, my question is what's different technically/functionly between the major brands.

Also, I have the Banks Stinger system already and was wondering if there would be any functional benefit of staying with Banks.

Thanks in advance

GT
03-16-2004, 18:43
I would stay with the Banks all the way then if you have any problems with the engine they may work with you. If you go with another brand they will say it is not their problem and to see the other guy.

Kennedy
03-17-2004, 06:11
I like the BD as a beefy, hearty unit, BUT the Banks is said to be "smarter" in operation.

Not sure as I have the BD unit on my truck. Works fine, but disables cruise control, and is simply on or off based on accelerator pedal.

DrL30047
03-18-2004, 02:54
I have the PacBrake which was installed two years ago. It works great, and when I use it with the Allison Grade Braking feature - at times it slows me down too much.

There is one thing to cosider. Look at the Allison web site at "Allisontransmission.com." Then choose "Service" then "Frequently Asked Questions" then "About GM Pickups with Allison Transmissions." There's a discussion on Diesel Brakes and the Allison Transmission in GM vehicles.

Also in this section there is information on the transmission filter change interval. It does not have to be changed every 5,000 miles as originally thought.

Good luck in your choice.

conway
03-19-2004, 11:40
I have the Banks exhaust brake. I had my dealer install it so that I would not have any warranty issues. The truck would lose power after towing about ten miles on an slight uphill grade. The problem was finally found to be a mismanufactured exhaust brake. It seems that the brake was not machined right and the valve would stick until the truck would not be able to move faster that a walk. Banks helped resolve the problem after several calls between me, Banks and my dealer who installed the brake. Banks sent out a new brake. I asked if they woudl pay for the reinstallation and they said no that their system was made for owners to install and therefore they would not pay for the dealer installation even though they sent me a defective product. In addition, they required that I send back the defective unit at my expense as they would not reimburse shipping costs. The new brake works as I beleive that it should and most likely you will not get a defective unit at this point but the warranty and Banks service left a bad taste in my mouth.

CntrlCalDmax
08-01-2004, 16:30
Does anyone have information on an exhaust brake for the LLY?

wheeler
08-01-2004, 22:56
I also need an exhaust brake on my LLY. Got email from US Gear saying they don't have one now for LLY. Spoke to Banks a couple days ago. They say they're still finalizing exhaust brake to protect LLY's VGT (variable geometry turbocharger, I think)... Banks says LLY exhaust brake IS COMING... November 2004. --wheeler

Kennedy
08-02-2004, 05:42
BD's notes on LLY brakes:

[quote]

BD

Ed McFarland
08-03-2004, 08:55
I have a U.S. Gear EB that I have had on
two different trucks over the last five years, and it seems to do a good job.
Ed