PDA

View Full Version : Bad block heater

matt@yakmeat.us
12-23-2004, 16:46
I recently found out my block heater wasn't working when I had to start on a really cold morning. I checked the cord and it is fine. Does anyone know what the diameter of the freeze plugs are? I was thinking of replacing the stock heater with possibly two aftermarket ones.
Thanks,

dmaxalliTech
12-23-2004, 20:29
Dunno the size of the hole exactly, but I think the OEM heater does an ample job. Its possible that the element burned up.

YZF1R
12-24-2004, 08:33
I just went out and ohm'ed mine. I get 13.7 ohms. I remember a couple people had the cord become disconnected from the block heater too.

Steve

matt@yakmeat.us
12-24-2004, 09:52
I made sure the cord is plugged in to the heater and checked resistance and there is no continuity through the heater.

pgreen
12-24-2004, 13:40
Sounds like your heater is then toast, unless the cord is broken somewhere.

NJDMAX
12-25-2004, 09:55
My cord failed right where the plug and cable are molded together. Just my 2cents.

crafty
01-05-2005, 07:37
Last winter my block heater failed and had to be replaced. It was blowing fuses in the panel. They changed the cord first and that worked for a week. When it died the second time it melted the cord at the heater. Could have been a fire but there wasn't. Be sure to check things well. Some block heaters have caused a fire. :D :D :D

medic198
01-05-2005, 09:41
My block heater failed early this year. I found the plug end was bad. I also noted the wire going to the heater was black and really looked old, "2001" I feel the wire to the heater is sub-standard. I also have my truck parked outside sometimes while I'm at work, I bought a 120V led at Radio Shack and wired it into my heater wire ran it to the hole in the bottom of my tag and when it's pluged in on a "GFR" at work. I know at least it's getting power. That lead wire from the heater just didn't look right. Cheap looking to me.

MICKD
01-05-2005, 15:07
My cord was getting very hot the last two times I used it. Took it in to the dealer they said there not going to waste time replacing the cord there going to replace the complete unit smile.gif

Scooter44
01-05-2005, 16:52
My block heater started tripping my ground fault outlet in the garage. I tried another outlet, but it tripped the ground fault connected to that one. I had an electrican check my outlets and he even replaced the one in the garage to be sure. Still tripping.

My dealer said "it didn't trip our circuit breakers." Honest, that's what the guy told me. I told him I want it fixed, but am not getting satisfaction. I've got a 2002 6.6 D-Max. By the way, I didn't have this problem the first winter and a half I had it. Any thoughts out there?

matt@yakmeat.us
01-12-2005, 10:40
I found the hole size is 1 5/8" and got a new heater installed. The old one is a little difficult to get out without removing the engine mount, but it is do-able.