PDA

View Full Version : Any "Banks" preformance results?

DWB
09-23-2003, 13:17
Is anyone out there using the "Banks - Stinger" kit and if so what kind of preformance are you getting. I know the company claims 73HP/120FtLbs
but would like some real world input from DMax owners. How does it tow, what EGT are you seeing and are you happy with the system? Thx for any input. DB

ryeguy
09-23-2003, 14:13
Got it. Big performance gain. Like "night and day". Only once have I seen EGT's up to 1250, and I backed off. 20k+lbs combined up a steep grade.

She's louder than I want (see a thread I started earlier looking for a quieter muffler), but I'm very happy.

Will (likely) be dyno'ing the truck for the first time this weekend.

--Rob

Heartbeat Hauler
09-25-2003, 10:56
ryeguy,
Did you look into adding a resignator to your system to get it quiter?

I have been talking (e-mail) with John Kennedy and I have had phone conversations with Banks. John seems to be straight up on loudness, but Banks not so forth coming. I read the other thread, but I am no closer to a decision.
JP

DMAX Daddy
09-25-2003, 11:03
Loudness may be a perceived problem.

With a full Banks exhaust my truck is quieter at 65MPH inside (no radio) than my wifes Honda Odyssey minivan.

Heartbeat Hauler
09-25-2003, 11:42
Yeah, I think that is true, but my concern is not so much loud as it is drone in the cab at different rpms. Drone will get me killed quicker than .45 at close range (spouse is very anti-drone) :D
JP

Kennedy
09-25-2003, 12:59
http://www.bankspower.com/Product_News.cfm

FWIW, the guys that come to dyno days sporting Banks badges usually go home with their heads hanging...

PS, it was mentioned by someone to try taking off the 5" falsee tip. Ever hear a Harley with the funky "fish tail" or similar tips? The tip can have quite a profound impact on the sound...

Heartbeat Hauler
09-25-2003, 14:17
Due tell JK. I'm all ears. This is a big investment for me and I don't want to lay out this kinda cash and be disappointed. I am looking at more than just the exhaust. From what I have read here on the board, most of the gains come from adjusting fuel. And, I have been told that all fuel and no airflow makes for a short life in the diesel world.
JP

DMAX Daddy
09-25-2003, 14:19
Maybe Ill take off my tip. smile.gif

Edge power, for a single box guy, is the way to go.

I do have a Banks Wastegate Actuator I will put in as soon as the knee recuperates.

Kennedy
09-25-2003, 15:02
From my experience, Edge, Van Aaken, TST, QZ, etc make the strongest stuff. It often comes down to "horses for courses" and the final decision is yours. I will admit I've never run the Banks module, but a 73HP and 120LB/FT pkg at a dyno day is like a knife at a gunfight.

MOST are perfectly happy with some of the budget tuners out there, and will be remain perfectly happy with them, yet others crave more. Some have never experienced what 90+HP and 250+ Lb/FT feels like. If you search for the word amazed, you'll find a topic that parallels my way of thinking...

ryeguy
09-25-2003, 15:44
JK,

Yeah, I'm not out to win any dyno contest. And I have no qualms about there being stronger trucks out there than mine. That said, I'll stick with my comment: other than noise/drone, I couldn't be happier with the Banks kit. If I ever come up with the $ upgrade the Allison, then I'll consider more power. But not until, because even with the "only 70/120" hp/tq gain, we've still felt the trans slip under heavy towing through the mountain passes we have here. I bought the truck to tow, and I want to keep my reliability in doing that. I didn't buy it to put on smoke shows.

Heartbeat Hauler: I had to put things on hold for a couple days (just finished my Ph.D.) so I'm back looking into solutions for the exhaust again.

--Rob

Heartbeat Hauler
09-26-2003, 05:55
ryeguy,
I checked out this website that someone posted earlier. It has a 4 & 5" resenator that is 16" long. I'm not sure where you could mount it though. But, for what it is worth her ya go:

http://shop.airflowonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AFSI&Category_Code=R

JP

Heartbeat Hauler
09-26-2003, 06:27
One more question to JK(i think i know this but):
Does adding the 4" exhaust add any performance or is it mostly just safety for the Edge, Van Aken, TST, etc. products?
Thanks,
JP

max out
09-26-2003, 08:40
I would think you would have to gain alittle.