PDA

View Full Version : Change those fuel filters

Paintdude
03-24-2004, 17:24
I did mine today, then took a sawzall and cut it in half. I was very suprised to see so much junk-dirt-contamination,etc in it after 20,000 miles.

Kennedy
03-25-2004, 07:19
Considering the prescribed change interval is 15k, this is not surprising.

Paintdude
03-25-2004, 09:33
True. I would bet most people space it off like I did and go many many miles more. I seen one guy with 75,000 and it finally wouldn`t run because of a dirty fuel filter. He said, fuel filter?

ski
03-27-2004, 14:51
from what I have seen in a few filters, I would not even go 15K unless you are very sure of your fuleing source. after cutting open a few I have changed, my interval is now 12K, and that is with secondary (pre OEM) filtration. that said, i do not expect the OEM to get that bad but be a source of water draining. most on these forums error on the side of caution. ounce of prevention......

PONCH
03-29-2004, 17:31
If we chage our oil at much earlier miileage thatn is recommended then why wouldn't one change your air at every oil change and your fuel filter at every other one. I personally change oil at 5000 mile intervals with the air and then fuel at 10000.
Is it a waste--probably however it's cheap insurance if you ask me.Just my two cents worth.

SEE YA BYE
PONCH

Spartus
04-06-2004, 17:05
Several local dealerships in my area have been TOLD by GM to replace the fuel filters at 10k... Anyone who goes longer than the suggested 15k isn't using their brain cells very efficiently.

Inspector
04-06-2004, 22:22
Just finished installing the Kennedy Mega filter. Its was a great little project. All went well and never shook, rattled or rolled on start up. I installed it post OEM. I think it will be real good insurance.
Another great system from John.
Denny :D :D :D

drgracr
04-07-2004, 17:33
also finished the mega install about a month ago, just over 2000 miles later and no running problems. Thanks JK, very nice product, install was fairly simple took about 2 hours and truck started right up and didn't miss a beat... Paul smile.gif smile.gif

Paintdude
04-08-2004, 04:11
Originally posted by Spartus:
Anyone who goes longer than the suggested 15k isn't using their brain cells very efficiently. This is what I hate about the internet. Comments like this. Just what is the point? :rolleyes: and people wonder why more folks do not post.

Lone Eagle
04-08-2004, 18:51
Paintdude, please check out the thread I just posted titled "OEM Filter Disaster" Later! Frank
;)

Spartus
04-08-2004, 19:00
Originally posted by Paintdude:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Spartus:
Anyone who goes longer than the suggested 15k isn't using their brain cells very efficiently. This is what I hate about the internet. Comments like this. Just what is the point? :rolleyes: and people wonder why more folks do not post. </font>[/QUOTE]The point? Didn't you get an OWNERS MANUAL with your truck? That's all I'm going to say.

DmaxMaverick
04-08-2004, 20:17
My Owners manual shows nothing about the fuel filter. Neither does the "supplemental" that came with it. Good thing I was using my brain cells efficiently, although I'm frequently accused of just the opposite. The fuel filters were little more than a myth when I bought my '01. I remember having to hunt for one, and wished I hadn't found it when I got the bill.

sb359
04-09-2004, 09:11
You would think that after hearing the horror stories out there about fuel and injector problems someone could make up some kind of condom or sock that would fit over a pump nozzle or inside the filling neck of the fuel tank.Has anyone heard of such a device or ideas.