PDA

View Full Version : GMC 01 6.6 D/A in the shop

mobowhunter
09-25-2003, 10:34
My D/A has been in the shop since last Friday. Truck has 71,000 miles on it, was slinging fluid around in the right front fender well. Took it in and they started the "48" point check. They have not been able to find where the high pressure leak is. Today they brought a technicial down from Kansas City to take a look at it. I live in the Springfield, MO area. Head Gaskets proved to be fine, where else can it be? Been driving an 04 2wd Chevy 5.3 gasser. I want my Duramax back. Bad. What suggestions could any of you techies have for me. Thank goodness all this is getting covered under the 100,000 mile warrenty.

Also thinking about upgrading from the 245's when I get it back to 265 or 275's. Will I need to do any modifications to get the larger tires to clear?

Thanks,

Craig

DinoMax
09-25-2003, 13:24
mobowhunter, sorry, can't reallyhelp on the coolant leak source, but have they tried adding a tracer dye to the coolant yet? Usually makes finding the leak easier. As for upgrading to 265's or 275's, no mod's will be needed for clearance, but your speedo/odo and abs calibrations will be off a little. You will actually be traveling faster than your speedo reads. Easy to recalibrate w/ a programmer like the Predator or Quad though, if you can't live w/ it. Good luck on getting the truck fixed. DinoMax :D :D

dmaxalliTech
09-25-2003, 18:30
Assuming your loosing coolant? out the overflow? Are you getting bubbles in overflow? Ask JERMCK, he had his "fixed" 2 times before he drove from Mississippi(well, chicago) to get it fixed the last time. He had leaking head gasket, also could have a potential injector cup leaking

Boonbltz
09-25-2003, 23:45
My 2001 developed a coolant leak around the engine block heater right side bottom of engine as looking foward from the driver seat.

mobowhunter
09-26-2003, 06:13
Thanks for the information, regional rep took a look at things yesterday, today they are bringing in an engineer to take a look at it. I will ask about the dye test, thanks for the suggestions.

mobowhunter
09-26-2003, 06:22
dmaxalliTech,

I am loosing coolant, low coolant light came on checked about 1 pint low. Inside of front wheel well had fluid around it. I assumed that it was coming from the overflow. Heads checked out "fine", I never had a reduction of power or performance. I will question about the injector cup leaking. Thanks for everything, much appreciated.

dmaxalliTech
09-26-2003, 10:02
The head gaskets havent seen a drop in performance at all, they were leaking between combustion chamber and a steam hole. Not blown out so to speak, just leaking. Keep us posted

deadlyman
09-27-2003, 14:25
what about the carbon minoxide test in the coolant?

mobowhunter
09-29-2003, 04:50
GM engineer didn't show up friday. Today the Regional Rep and the Engineer was "guaranteed" to be there. Boy I hope so, I am willing to wait it make sure that everything is taken care of correctly, but this is starting on my second week. I have always been extremely pleased with this dealer. If the engineer can't find the leak, what do you think the next step will be?

mobowhunter
09-29-2003, 12:09
Just got a call from the shop. They located the source of the leak, injector sleeve. They couldn't pinpoint which one it was, so they are replacing all of them. They are going to start on it first thing in the morning and should have it back by Friday no problem. Can't wait to get my truck back.

dmaxalliTech
09-29-2003, 18:16
I am curious as to how they "pinpointed" it to sleeve, but cant tell which one :confused: :rolleyes:

mobowhunter
09-30-2003, 07:25
I am going by the shop this afternoon and will ask.

mobowhunter
10-03-2003, 12:52
Got a call from the shop, still no go. DmaxalliTech you where on to something, they put the new sleeves in and presto, still the same problem.

mobowhunter
10-16-2003, 10:54
Got my DMax back this morning. They ended up replacing injector sleeves and the driver side head. Sure missed my truck. Forgot just how much power she had.

midwest
10-16-2003, 19:28
How did a fluid leak from the left head end up in the right front fender area? Your original post said rt front and they replaced drivers head.

mobowhunter
10-17-2003, 07:13
Fluid wasn't leaking outside the engine, the crack was in an area to where it allowed compression to escape and build up pressure in the coolant system, resulting in pushing coolant out the overflow, located on top of right fender well.

mhagie
10-17-2003, 09:04
It appears dmaxallitech was right again,good call :D