PDA

View Full Version : Oil temp sensor in 4X4

Murray the Cop
09-27-2003, 15:52
I istalled the oil temp sensor that came with the Quad monster monitor in my 03 2500 4X4. Had to use a 3/8 to 1/8 reducer to fit it to the truck. It looks like there is only about an inch clearance between the sensor and the front dif.Is this enough clearance? The only thing I can think of is to shorten the reducer but this will sink the sensor itself further. In this senario would the sensor affect oil flow? Might only gain a 1/4 inch anyway. Thanks.

[ 09-28-2003, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: Murray the Cop ]

DinoMax
09-29-2003, 13:20
Murray, the 1" clearance should be OK, but I have to ask; why monitor front diff. temp? Do you use 4WD that often? Quad originally intended this to monitor engine oil temp, but it will work in the diff. If you go w/ engine oil temp, you wont need a reducer, it will screw right into oil filter housing. IMHO, engine oil temp -or- rear diff temp would be a more logical choice to keep an eye on. DinoMax :D :D

Murray the Cop
10-01-2003, 06:56
Dinomax, The sensor I was sent does need a reducer to fit to oil housing. The housing is 3/8 and is about a quarter of an inch deep.The sensor is 1/8 and is about an inch long from end of threads to tip(inside). The clearance is between sensor(in oil housing)and the front dif. I was stressing over this not realizing the truck has a IFS. Still thinking of my Ford. The only way to get more clearance would be a different sensor all together. The picture that you recomended I look at is exactly what it looks like except the front dif and drive shaft sit about an inch from the tip of the sensor. I will keep an eye on the sensor for any contact but I think It should be OK.On another note,After wiring, tapping and fitting the whole thing found that the monitor wasn't working. Turns out the male and female connections on the harness to conect the power and the pyro sensor were all bad connections. This might be of some interest to others installing this guage. I have been on the phone with Jeremy at Quad but never got to tell him that ultimately it was ALL the connecting plugs.Thanks for the reply. After realizing the IFS thing, I figured that this must look like a stupid question and wasn't expecting a reply.

DinoMax
10-01-2003, 07:51
Murray, that's strange. My oil temp sensor fit w/out a reducer :confused: Not sure why yours did not. I ran into a similar problem with connections on pyro. Boost & Oil temp worked, but no EGT reading. Jeremy sent me another thermocoupler, and no change. We thought it might be the gauge itself, so he sent me another one. Still no EGT reading. Finally figured out when they crimped connection to lead wire, it was crimped onto the insulation instead of bare wire, hence no reading. Stripped wire back a little, re-crimped, and everything is fine. Jeremy @ quad was real nice about sending me parts to try & correct it. After 3 weeks of trying new parts, I felt kinda stupid it was something so simple. Now that it works, I am very pleased. Can't believe how sensitive pyro is :cool: I bet guys w/ the analog gauges do not have the reaction speed this digital gauge has :cool: Anyway, glad you got it all done. DinoMax :D :D

Murray the Cop
10-01-2003, 12:35
Dinomax, I am interested to know why your oil temp. sensor did not need the use of a reducer at the housing. Was the sensor 1/8? The picture I am refering to shows the sensor and the reducer. Is this the same location of your sensor? If it is and you did't need the reducer either the sensor was 3/8 or the housing had a 1/8 opening tapped in it. I doubt it is the later being that your truck is a 2003 and so is mine. It really doesn't matter as long as the 1 inch clearance doesn't create any problems. Now I'm trying to decide on a 4 inch exaust.

DinoMax
10-01-2003, 12:47
Murray, I don't remember if it was 1/8 or 3/8, but it did screw right in. My truck is an '02, not an '03. Maybe that is the difference. I do remember the pic I told you to look at had a reducer, but I think that was on an '01 truck. Don't make sense GM would change back & forth like that. I'm stumped, but as long as it works ;) DinoMax :D :D

dieselburb
10-01-2003, 21:11
There's also the option of using another one of the plugs on the housing (3) total to take your reading from. The inboard one barely visible above the lower facing plug is out of the way of everything. Just be sure you know a monkey with a big breaker bar ;) !