PDA

View Full Version : Air box mod?

skidsteer loader
03-30-2004, 21:07
Just got the juice from Kennedy a few days ago, my questions are: will an afe stage2 airbox make a notable difference like the juice does? Does it really flow that much more air? Should I definitly have this with the juice? Or should I leave the factory air box in? Thanks.

MemphisDMax
03-31-2004, 15:52
The AFE Stage II wont generate a lot of extra horses like the OJ w/Attitude will. May be 15 HP more. I would get a 4" exhaust from Mr. Kennedy before opening up the Attitude to Level 4 or beyond, then get the air intake kit. Otherwise, you will build too much heat when you jump on it to beat Hemi. There is a reason why they make you fill out the disclaimer when you buy the Hot Juice. Just my 2 cents.

More Power
04-13-2004, 14:27
Just as an FYI, I received both a Stage I and a Stage II AFE high-flow air intake system for the Duramax. The Stage I will be built into the current Duramax Project truck, and the Stage II will be installed in our 2001 2500HD. Plans at this point include a series of dyno runs in the very near future. We'll be reporting how the AFE compares to both an OEM AC paper air filter and a Uni-Foam.

Should be fun. Stay tuned!

Inspector
04-13-2004, 15:51
Jim:
It would be good to include the Amsoil filter in your tests.
Denny

Jorday
04-13-2004, 17:45
Do the aftermarket intakes increase the turbo whistle at all?

blue_lightning
04-14-2004, 03:44
Jorday, the afe stage2 airbox will increase the turbo whistle somewhat, if that's the one you're interested in. When I first installed it, I found the whistle to be annoying. Now I really don't notice it unless I'm listening for it. In fact, I even enjoy the turbo whine during accelerations now. It's just something I'm use to and now seem to like. See if you can find someone in your area that has one and go for a ride. Then you be the judge.

Jorday
04-14-2004, 06:26
I love the sound of the turbo. I took the little baffle piece off the stock intake and blocked it off and I can hear the turbo a lot more in my truck. I might have to buy one of those intakes. smile.gif

andrewfessler
04-14-2004, 07:42
Are you referring to the piece on top of the engine that says 6.6 on it? I notice it has like a 1 1/2" connection into the intake manifold.

I LOVE to hear my turbo whine and want to hear it more, do you have a photo of your mod to it?

Jorday
04-14-2004, 10:14
I don't have a photo of what I did, but the mod was very easy to do. All I did was remove the piece on top of the engine and loosened the clamp that holds it to the rubber tube. Then, I stuck this piece of plastic in the tube that looks like a little cup and tightened the clamp. It definitely made the turbo sound louder.

andrewfessler
04-14-2004, 12:21
Ok thanks, I will try that tonight and take a photo for anyone else who may be interested in the same modification. I definately LOVE to hear my turbo whine. . . .more power!