PDA

View Full Version : Mexico!

haydn
09-30-2003, 19:52
New but very thankful luker. This site gave me the confidence to buy new 2003 D/A ext cab LB 4*4
My wife and I are retired and spend the winters in Mexico. I have NO experience with things mechanical but will give it a go. The Mexicans are great people but have little knowledge of the D/A. I have an hour with a diesel tech on 8 Oct and need advice about what to ask him and what to show me how to do.

Trip
10-01-2003, 04:13
Not knowing about the fuel in Mexico, I would suggest you ask the tech to show you how to bleed and prime the fuel system. Also ask him to show you how to remove any collected water from the fuel filter bowl. I'd want to be comfortable performing these activities...just in case. Have a great time in Mexico this winter! :D

gardnerteam
10-01-2003, 05:14
I do about 25,000 miles a year in Mexico and Guatemala with diesel rigs, including my 02 D/A. You need to carry sufficient oil, oil filters, change fuel filters every 6,000 miles, FFP Cetane and Lubrication products, and a spare light bulb or two. If you have a D/A problem in Mexico or CA, the biggest problem is that parts must be shipped from the US - 10 day wait for that alone usually. In Mexico, buy your fuel ONLY at major truck stops which pump lots of gallonage, and use FFP at twice the amount stated. In Guatemala, fuel is cheaper and better quality. With all my 6.2 & 6.5 Turbos, I ran dual fuel filter setups and still had dirty fuel and clogging filter problems. The D/A ran perfectly and never had a fuel problem to date with over 50,000 on it - never been back to the dealer for engine or tranny problem (Allison services the trans and differentials for me) and it has about 35,000 miles of the 50,000 in Mexico and Guatemala. With higher miles on it, I now will carry a serpantine belt, antifreeze, and a few other items. My D/A has been the best vehicle I have ever taken below the border in 45 years of driving in Mexico. Enjoy.