PDA

View Full Version : Belt squeal gone

Xmas1
05-22-2002, 19:33
I had may truck in three times for the belt squeal when I shut off the engine. The first time they replaced the Alternator and belt. Second time the Belt and cleaned the pullies. Third time belt and pullies again, it was louder then ever. I called customer assistance and was told that the engineers are working on a solution, and this is normal on shut down. When I told them that I did not accept that as an answer and I would need to repair it myself, I was told that I would void the warranty. Does GM actually expect people not to try and fix problems? They had three tries at it. So I ordered a new tensioner through GMPartsDirect last week. The parts showed up today, I installed it in about 10 minutes. Guess what.... Squeal is totally gone. I mean nothing, not even a chirp. I just hope it stays this way.

Maverick
05-22-2002, 20:17
Bet you $20 bucks it comes back. Once a chirper, always a chirper. I had 4 belts, 1 tensioner pullys, 2 different idler pullys replaced and mine still squeaks at shut down. The grooved pully below the tensioner was the last one to be replaced. I had a squeaky pully all the time when it was running. Thats annoying. Those at the rendevous heard my squeaky truck. Its fixed now. Only squeaks at shut down only now.

mdrag
05-22-2002, 20:50
Xmas1,

As pointed out by RONCLYDE in this thread:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002936

The squealing at shut down is a little known option on some trucks - an audible SERPENTINE BELT IN PLACE indicator. A louder version is available with the dual alts....

Xmas1
05-23-2002, 10:26
Maverick,
I sure hope it doesn't come back. Did you ever replace the tensioner on yours or just the pulley. My thinking was that the noise is coming from the belt slipping, or not enough tension. A chirp I could handle, but with this noise I had to try something. I'll keep my finger crossed and hope for the best.

SoMnDMAX
05-23-2002, 10:51
A common thing that the Dodge and Ford guys do is to replace the belt with a Goodyear Gatorback. Seems to reduce, if not eliminate the squeak.

Is there one available for the Dmax? I haven't persued it yet, but my "Serpentine Belt Indicator" is getting a little annoying....

tonkater
05-23-2002, 10:53
my 88 with 6.2 chirps at shut down. not always , but lots of times. Its done it for years and at least 300,000 miles with no harmfull effects. So I don't worry about it, its just a noise characteristic of GM diesels with serp belt

Maverick
05-23-2002, 12:14
Xmas1,
It was the whole tensioner. Originally replaced trying to find the continued squeak in the system while it was running. It turned out to be the idler pully below it. The sealed bearing was bad.

BigO
05-25-2002, 08:56
Try a little longer belt, if you can find one that is just a 1/10th of an inch longer or one that is 1/5th of an inch longer that will eliminate the problem. Check your tensioner and make sure it is still showing proper tension on the marks.

That GOODYEAR Gatorback belt is AWESOME!

mark45678
05-25-2002, 18:20
Does any one ever hear a chirp from the AC turning on ? on friday mine was chirping every time it kicked in ,it was like 73*f out and it was short cycleing ever 20~30 seconds????

EIS01
05-25-2002, 21:59
My truck makes a chirp when the A\C goes on and off too. I decided to live with it, beings nothing seems to fix either problem. Good luck with it, Kevin

BigO
05-31-2002, 23:58
Replacement belt for 2001 D/max Ex. Cab and S./Bed 2500 Series

Belt is 5 mm shorter then OE belt

Goodyear GatorBack 4061112

Belt is 5 mm longer then OE belt

Based on Tech support either belt should work.

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: BigO ]

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: BigO ]</p>

SoMnDMAX
06-01-2002, 01:37
Big O, thanks for the numbers...

Now the question is, where to buy? All I can find around here is Gates and Dayco dealers. Is there any online sources for Gatorback belts?

SoMnDMAX
06-01-2002, 01:42
Forget it.. redface.gif Here's the link to a dealer locator-

http://www.goodyearbeltsandhose.com/wheretobuy/index.html

I found 5 dealers within 30 miles of me. I'm going to get a belt ordered Monday, and we'll see what happens!!!

BigO
06-01-2002, 07:37
SoMnDMAX

If you hve a problem with the belt they do have a Limited Lifetime warranty on them. If the short one does not work then return for the longer one and only have to pay the differece.