PDA

View Full Version : Waste gate Question

radrecon69
03-12-2004, 17:21
As you all know I just bought a 93 6.5 now where is the waste gate located at I found bronze colored pod that has a rod that runs paralle with the exhaust manifold if that is it shoud it have a vacum line hooked up to it?

Again thanks for everything
Rick

ps excuse the misspelled words can't find my dictionary

dieseldummy
03-12-2004, 18:06
That is it. Being a 93 it should be mechanicaly injected, so you shouldn't have a vaccum line. The pot contains a spring which applies pressure against the wastegate insite the turbine housing.
Hope this can help you.
Justin

radrecon69
03-14-2004, 19:20
Is there any way of testing the wastegate to see if it is operating correctly?

Again thanks for the info

Rick

dieseldummy
03-14-2004, 19:39
First off, make sure that it will move back and forth. If it doesn't then you have problems. If it does then there should be tension on it when you try to push it towards the back of the vehicle. If there isn't much I would say that it isn't working. I think that the best thing to do is replace it with a turbo master from Heath diesel. It isn't hard to make one, if you are mechanicly inclined, either. Also a boost gauge would be a good indication of how well it is working. Factory should be 5-7lbs of boost, at least that's how mine was.
Justin

Barra
03-15-2004, 04:58
Similar question, different truck (95 6.5td suburban k2500). I found a leak in the vacuum line leading to the waste gate controller. Now that the leak is fixed, where should the waste gate be when the engine is off, open, closed, or in the middle?

Thanks!
Barra

gmctd
03-15-2004, 09:31
Since turbo and wastegate have no function when engine is off, position is unimportant.

Disconnect hose at wastegate, check for full arm travel without binding.

Reconnect vacuum line, start engine, wastegate should be fully seated, fairly difficult to open by hand.

Wastegate is held closed to effect instant turbine spoolup for low rpm driveability.

Boost is not required for idle or revving engine with no load, so PCM actually dumps boost under those conditions.

Vacuum at pump should be around 25", vacuum at wastegate should be around 15" at idle.
PCM is controlling solenoid to 62% at idle, less when revved.

Barra
03-15-2004, 10:23
Thanks JD.