PDA

View Full Version : vibration at 58-62 mph

hapaschold
05-22-2002, 19:47
ok , here goes, just yesterday i noticed a vibration at approx 58 mph up to about 62 mph, then it goes away.

sounds/feels like the engine is laboring/lugging at those speeds, but once above 62 goes away, no shifting in the tranny,

any thoughts ? ? ?

about 9600 miles now.

thanks for the help ,
hapaschold

mark45678
05-22-2002, 19:56
I dont think I have ever gone that slow.......Need more input engine skip,tire ballance 4x4 turned on,water in fuel,there are just to many things to grasp at straws. See if you can nail it down more is it at full operating temp,steady power,coast, you get the idea! I have heard some things about tires with belt shift and out of round? what brand and type tire is on your truck?

[ 05-22-2002: Message edited by: mark45678 ]</p>

MNBowTie
05-22-2002, 21:25
Hapascold,

Here is where I would start, but I don't get paid to fix them either.

1. Rotate tires: (Put on Michelens)
2. Check for a loose Shock, or other suspension components.
3. If 4-Wheel drive? try a test drive with the rear drive shaft removed.

Good Luck

ALLIMAX
05-23-2002, 08:33
Check to see if you can feel the vibration coming through the steering wheel or if you feel it more in the seat. If it is coming through the steering wheel it is probably on of the front tires out of balance. If you feel it in the seat it is probably one of the rear tires. Another thing to check is bring the truck up to speed and put the trany in nuetral. IF the vibration goes away your balance problem is probably in the drive line. Tires and wheels have 3 different speed ranges where a harmonic imbalance can show up. Usually with the type of thing you are describing it is in the tire balance. Also if you have not rotated the tires yet you should. On any 4 wheel drive the first rotation is the most important.

Lone Eagle
05-23-2002, 21:08
Most all vibrations that come and go at a certain speed every time are tire balance. Check all the wheels to see if you have lost a weight also. Later! Lone Eagle :rolleyes:

cmadmaxman
05-24-2002, 01:47
I had the same problem with my 2000 2500 6.0
They changed 2 rims, 2 tires and don't remember how many ballance jobs. GM gave me the full price for the firelesstones and bought Michlens LTX M/S! End of vibration!!!!! Transfered tires to my HD Dmax, (did not want to go throught that again) and now ready to go up to 265's!

hapaschold
05-24-2002, 17:31
thanks for all the possible things to look at.

i ll work on that this weekend, but a few answer now,

- firestones,
- happens when in 2 wheel drive, havent tried 4x4
- water in fuel, just changed fuel filter,found about 2 oz. of water, but still have problem

will try the neutral and see if goes away, not much chance of getting to 60 mph of gsp in jersey tonight on way home from work, what a traffic mess !

thanks