PDA

View Full Version : Fuel numbers on The Juice??

Alli-max
05-22-2002, 20:30
Seriously... I need to know this before I order! What are the REAL WORLD numbers on open highway?? No "hot dogging".... No going 150 mpg NutnbutGMC (LOL)....

did they improve or decline? PLEASE be honest...

And.. can the EZ Amp or the Juice be COMPLETELY turned off / bypassed?

Jayhawker
05-22-2002, 21:17
Just got wired for an Edge Juice yesterday. Pulled my 5th wheel about 40 miles. Astounding pulling power. No more downshifting on molehills. No mileage figures yet. The Edge manual states you can set a Level 0. Since the four power levels are numbered 1 through 4, I assume "0" is off.

Kennedy
05-23-2002, 08:25
R is the supposed "off" position, but it does not seem to work for me.

Setting 1 should have the max economy potential as the same timing tables are used in all settings, and just the fuel is increased as you go up.

Economy may be a tough one to improve on with this engine. Results have been mixed with the VA box, and likely will be here too.

imported_
05-23-2002, 08:45
selecting the 'R' position on the gear shift returns the box to default '60hp' setting.... that is what i get out of my manual.... this is even better than the beta box that i had.... throttle response is even sharper....run... don't walk ... beg borrow or steal a visa number and get yours today....WHEEE.... 19 again.....this is awesome!

Carli_max
05-23-2002, 09:02
Kennedy,

When I program mine in reverse, it doesn't seem to shut off either! Talked to Aaron, and he said they were having a problem with that setting. He told me to cycle the T/H a few times before pressing the pedal 3 times. Didn't seem to work for me!

Mad Max
Where did you get the "default 60hp" in setting Zero from ?? My manual made no mention of it! Why would they bother to have a default setting when it's no easier to program that then the real 60hp setting!! I don't buy it! When I talked to Aaron he agreed that it should completely shut off when setting zero is programmed.

Alli-max
I haven't taken any trips yet. My mileage seems to be what I was getting during the colder winter months, however I've been doing a number on my rear tires lately ;) I think if you drive normal, you shouldn't see any significant drop in mileage!!

Kennedy
05-23-2002, 09:10
I didn't THINK I misread (rather skimmed) the instructions...

R is stated as off correct?

imported_
05-23-2002, 10:51
in the manual where it tells you that 60 hp is the default setting right... ok so you cycle off the ginition and then select r which is supposed to 'Clear all settings"...but id default is 60 hp does it not stand to reason that you reset back to default 60 hp setting?

Alli-max
05-23-2002, 18:39
C'Mon guys!!! NOBODY has checked their mileage on an empty trip yet??? NOBODY??? I am SURE some of you have... :( :(

pullinpower
05-23-2002, 18:55
Alli,go ahead and just buy the darn thing,your gonna need it :D

motovet
05-23-2002, 23:54
I've been trying to check the mileage with the level 4 setting. I won't get on it ... I won't get on it... I won't get on it... Damn!! This thing accelerates so hard it is tough to keep your foot out of it. It may be some time before anyone will be posting any "cruising" numbers. I will be towing the trailer this weekend however and will try to compare to the 11mpg I was getting stock. (Level 2 with tow/haul).

mackin
05-24-2002, 03:36
Alli-max,

Here you go ......... 30 mph highway
22 in the city ......... Now go buy one .........
Also for sale Ocean front Beach Home, this place is beautiful, a must "SEE" ........Not a drive by ...... MONTANA . Big sky country ..... Also know taking offers on the GW Bridge in NYC . All offers in confidence . Please reply . BOX 23 ....... Thanks.

MAC tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

AKA: Lead Foot ........

[ 05-24-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

?DURAMAX
05-24-2002, 06:53
my mileage has not changed. I was getting 16.5 mpg city/hwy back and forth to work. I still get that with it on setting 1. I did pull my boat last weekend. 7000 lbs about 150 miles. This was a combined tank of city/hwy and pulling so you be the judge. setting 2 on the way to the lake and setting 3 on the way back. That tank I got 14.1. Let me remind you that is with 35" tires also. Buy it you won't regret it.

ford2chevy
05-24-2002, 08:20
If you have 35" tires, how are you calculating milage. Unless you had your speedo recalibrated, which I don't think any dealer will do, you don't know how far you are traveling. I have 33" tires and the dealer told me they recaled mine but it is still at 2000rpm at 70 before and after. At 2000rpms I am going about 76-77mph. This throughs the odometer off approx 40-80 miles a tank. Does anyone have any input?

Alli-max
05-24-2002, 20:11
Thats some great numbers there Mackin. Think I'll buy 2 now. Do I need to run them in series or parallel?

And yes, I do want to get one, and probably will, as long as you can COMPLETELY turn it off. I seriously need my fuel numbers to stay in the "decent" range. They suck now as you all know. 18 mpg is a pipe dream for me.

PULLINPOWER... Will be over there next week. Not that close, but in Small Pebble (Little Rock to the rest of you.. :D )

Mic
05-24-2002, 20:34
Fuel numbers..... HA !!! :eek:

NOW i KNOW why no-one can report them, I can't keep my foot from cramping in the DOWN position!!

Alli...just get one and forego the leafblower!

It has nothing on the Juice ;) ;)

[ 05-24-2002: Message edited by: Mic ]</p>

mackin
05-24-2002, 20:45
Alli-max

Quote: That's some great numbers there Mackin. Think I'll buy 2 now. Do I need to run them in series or parallel?

I would go parallel ... in case one crapped out your still good to go with one ....... With series, if one was to kick out, well then you would have to, well be under powered (stock)to get home ......

I really do not think it will adversely affect your fuel economy, Unless you have no self control ....... What are you getting anyway? With and without that aerodynamic bumper dragging in the wind? I got 13 and change mostly city with the box driving conservatively ....... Have yet to do extensive interstate driving ..... Soon I hope ......
MAC :D :D

Alli-max
05-24-2002, 20:57
hey mackin.... Numbers stock (kennedy 4 incher, and K&N) are at 16ish on the interstate at 70 mph (and that is 100% interstate going to South Texas). Not good. I had the first gen. BD box, and it threw codes, and worked less than half the time. Also got ~10 - 11 mpg. There is no way in HELL I can have that.

Is there a 30 day return policy with these boxes? As much fun as it may be, I just CANT have bad numbers. Period.

mackin
05-24-2002, 21:15
Alli-max,

30 day return policy with these boxes, Not sure ....... But your numbers . Sorry, suck ...... Even I got 17 highway driving like a maniac, With my Dually ........ I'll stand by my Quote you keep your foot out of it, it will not change your fuel economy ...... I'm telling you in the 90 setting you can,if you can, drive normal like and old lady from Pasadena on a Sunday drive .... Ask John he'll tell ya ....... Then if you hit it, puts your A** in the seat ... It's like a sleeper ...... I'm just trying to give ya insight , I don't blame ya for saying my fuel economy cannot get worse then what your getting .......
MAC
smile.gif

[ 05-24-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Carli_max
05-25-2002, 07:17
Was on setting #2, 80% highway (75mph) and 20% city some horsing around. 17.0 MPG. On my last trip all highway at 75mph, no JUICE, 18.1. No real difference that I can see!! Step up to the Plate, and slap down the plastic!! ;) You won't be disappointed!!

BobNelson
05-25-2002, 09:01
Alli-max...... Fuel economy / numbers ? ? ? I am confused here.... You have spent more $$ on appearance / fuction toys for your truck than most of use will ever justify in fuel usage reduction. Get to the "Edge" of life or get "juiced" up... I plan to make the leap this fall after harvest.... (gotta save up the $$).

Rendevouze 02 was great.... :D

Kennedy
05-25-2002, 15:56
Bob Nelson,

Are you the one that was making home movies at DAS Friday night?

bigbobed
05-25-2002, 16:19
Ali-Max
Don't know what you consider as South Texas, But I can tell you if you are heading south and are south of I37 you'll hit a head wind 95% of the time. Once I filled my 35 gal tank on my Dodge V10 in Bishop and had the low fuel light on by the time I got home 135 miles later. Nothing brings a good truck to it's knees faster than towing a fiver in a 35mph head wind.

BobNelson
05-25-2002, 20:15
Kennedy....

Yup.... I had the Camera, Laptop, projector.... You left early. We kept the adult stuff for later... ;) Actually some of the fun was a map program where we looked at each other houses... HowieE lives a long ways from the west coast..

I have some lower quality .mpg of your burn outs... I just sent MP a cd full of all the .jpg's and .mpg's.

Bob...

[ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: BobNelson ]</p>

JrTuner
05-27-2002, 07:37
I live in an extremely stop and go area. Rarely can cruise at 50 mph for longer than 5 minutes. Before the Juice I was, on the average, getting 14.5 mpg. Just went through my first half tank of fuel with the Juice and got 15.5 mpg. That was on level four and the trans still learning, didn't exactly drive conservatively either. I am suprised and happy.

Kennedy
05-27-2002, 10:24
Bob,

That would be great to see! Had I known you were shooting, I'd have had you on the exhaust side to get the full audio effect, and see what little diesel smoke there was. I was actually there till the map thing went up, but it was getting pretty cold by then AND I knew it would be an early start (6am) the next morning so we could get back before I got even further buried in return calls etc...

JrTuner,

I in no way want to discredit your mpg numbers, but would really rather see some better control conditions ie: Same stretch of highway etc. The Juice may help by getting up through the gears more quickly, and with less APP, but city driving is really no true measure of mpg. From what I have seem, mine and many others vary 2-3 mpg in mixed driving conditions, in fact, mine runs from mid 16s to high 18s on the highway...

JrTuner
05-27-2002, 10:27
But like I said that is where most of my driving is done. So in my situation I am getting better fuel mileage. That is why new vehicles are rated city/highway. I have yet to take a trip long enough to check mileage for an entire fill up on the highway.

Alli-max
05-27-2002, 23:04
Bob Nelson... I still have to turn in fuel receipts...no matter what! ;)

BigBob... That is a running average, from Texarkana to... Tyler, corsicana, Waco, Belton, Austin, San Antone, Laredo, Brownsville, Corpus, Victoria, Houston and back to Texarkana. And all in 4.5 days!

motovet
05-28-2002, 00:40
It was a long weekend with a lot of driving, towing and not. Before the Juice my best solo mpg was 19.5 (mostly hwy). My best mpg towing (10,000#) was 11. Friday I did a solo round trip to the city and back that consisted of 20% country roads, 50% hwy, 30% TRAFFIC, end result was 18.5 mpg. Over the weekend we took a trip to eastern Wa. that took us over Snoqualmie pass and other mountainess terrain with the trailer. Some hwy, some back roads, and of course, TRAFFIC. Average towing mpg for the trip was 11.5. Though this is not a controlled comparison I feel the mpg is at least the same if not better. Given the traffic I hit Friday and all the mountain driving while towing I would think the added performance has helped in the mpg department. As for the rest? WOW! While solo the truck is now faster than neccesary. The towing performance is exccelant, no more downshift at every hill and has power to spare. I was able to pull the entire pass in O.D.! Soooo Happy!!

?DURAMAX
05-28-2002, 07:12
When I got my 35's on there. I reset od. Watch the mile makers on the highway. It only logs .8 per 1.0 mile. So after I go 300 miles on a tank. I go back and muliply .02 x 300. That adds back in the miles that it didn't log. Also I still had my 99 gmc completely stock and ran it side by side for speed. Speedo at 60 and 70 is off 10 mph. At 70. (my speedo says 60) I am only turning 1700 rpm.

MaxDMax
05-29-2002, 04:57
I just took a 650-mile trip pulling our 36.5' toybox 5th wheel with the Juice. The trailer was around to 13,100lbs. The total gross including all the extra stuff we hauled was around 21,600lbs. I got 2 MPG better than before the juice.