PDA

View Full Version : 4 in exhaust?

tmg115
05-25-2002, 15:53
is a 4in exhaust kit worth it? does it spool up the turbo much faster, or does it make the truck faster off the line? and how is the Banks 4in exhaust? thows with it can you feel more power? tony says it make like 36HP and like 60FT LBS of torque.

Thanks
Tom

MGM
05-25-2002, 16:51
Tony is smoking some bad stuff! there is no way in hell it produces that kind of h.p. I am running a Banks 4 inch and just had the truck dynoed at BD, Christian at BD said 5 h.p.is more accurate. On the plus side it does spool up faster and higher(24).EGT is reduced, 100'F ,GREAT sound, and the ss is great if you have to deal with salty roads. Bottom line if your buying only for the advertised h.p. save your money, if you buy for the positive reasons like i did , its a good exhaust system.IMHO

tmg115
05-25-2002, 16:58
is it faster of the line? and is it faster with just every day driving not like hard driving.

MGM
05-25-2002, 17:19
Tom, i think that oppening up your exhaust to eliminate back pressure is a good thing to do as part of a total package for power enhancement. but truthfully your going to get much more out of the new power boxs than you will out of exhaust alone. Does it go faster off the line? well it sure sounds like it does!

armalite
05-25-2002, 17:25
TMG,

I have the Banks exhaust also. MGM is correct. You will not feel the huge gains advertised. High flow exhaust systems are good for sound and lowering EGT's. You will feel some improvement but nothing like you will feel with the latest and greatest chips on the market.

Tader Jack
05-29-2002, 18:57
I just had the Banks 4" Monster Exhaust system put on this afternoon. Huge gains, nope. The turbo definitely spools up quicker, so it will be interesting to see how much performance we actually again. I'm very happy with how it went together. The only thing I didn't like was the band clamp they weld on the end tip. We cut it off and welded the tip on to the pipe. Their clamp looks like s _ _ t. We also tack welded all the joints to prevent flexing.

The 5" tip is HUGE. Looks like a football could get stuck in there. The sound has a pleasing "big block" rumble when you get on it. when you are cruising at steady speed or at highway speeds, it's quiet . . . very nice indeed. They have obviously done lots of sound research to come up with a package that will satisfy the ears but not be obnoxious when cruising on the highway.

I'm very happy with it so far on day one. Now I can start thinking about getting juiced . . . but which flavor?

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
jackschultz@adelphia.net

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jack_schultz2001/rlst

2001 Chevy Silverado, 4-WD, 2500HD, Crew Cab, Short Box
LT Trim, Black Onyx w/ Tan Leather
Beltronics 980 Radar Detector • Blinder M-10 Plus Laser Radar Jammer
4 Rockford Fosgate FRC2206 Full Range Speakers • Husky Rubber Floor Mats
Lund Interceptor Wind Deflector • J&J Stainless Steel Tube Grill
Putco Stainless Steel Bed Rails • Access Roll-up Tonneau Cover • Pendaliner SR Bed Liner
DTA Stainless Running Boards and Mud Flaps • VentShades • Pop-Lok Rear Tailgate Lock
Lucerix Remote Control X-Mount Camper Mirrors • Unity Dual Door-mount Halogen Spotlights
Air-Lift Super Duty Ride Control w/ Dual Controller & Onboard Compressor • Torsion Bars adjusted 5 turns up
Tekonsha Voyager Trailer Brake Controller • Uniden 510XL PRO CB Radio, Wilson Antenna
Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode • PIAA Platinum Super White Headlight Bulbs
Amsoil 2-Stage Air Filter • FPPF Total Power Diesel Fuel Treatment • FPPF 8+ Cetane Improver
Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic HD Diesel & Marine Engine Oil • Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (GL-5)
Banks Power 4” Stainless Monster Exhaust System
Thinking about getting “JUICED” soon since I’m already “over the edge” according to my wife.
------------------------------------------------

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: Tader Jack ]</p>

mackin
05-29-2002, 19:39
TJ,

No secret here, I'll be going Banks ,, just still hammering out a price ...... Waiting for some call backs ....... I have a few question if you would enlighten me .......

Where you able to get stock exhaust off in one piece?
The muffler it is 304 SS brushed and is it reversible?Quiet ,Noisy .........
The fit was good? This is real important to me ....... I don't want to see it ....... Want it tucked up , unlike stock can......
Can you still here the turbo? Mine whistles loud enough I can here it resonate off the Jersey barriers on the interstate .......
I really do not want a noisy irritating sound ........ Noise outside behind me no problem ....... In the cab cruising I'd rather hear the turbo whistle and engine noise ... Is it drowned out is what I would like to know ..........
Sorry , but I think you will tell me straight up no hype .......

MAC smile.gif

Bocephus3
05-29-2002, 19:58
Rip Rook, www.sourceautomotive.biz has a great system.

motovet
05-30-2002, 00:54
Thanks Mack for asking the exact questions I have on the banks system. I can hear my turbo well too and don't want to loose it. And the answer is....

DMax_Doug
05-30-2002, 10:26
Let me be the third to back Mackin's questions!

Although I chose my Dmax for a variety of reasons, the only reason my wife consented was because it was so much quieter than my neighbors' PSD and Cummins. If a 4" exhaust puts me in thier class of noise, I'd be in trouble. I don't mind a modest rumble, but don't want a reasonating drone in the cab at cruising speed.

Tader Jack
05-30-2002, 16:09
Where you able to get stock exhaust off in one piece? ----- Yes, it requires that you jack up the right rear of the frame a couple of inches while it's up on the lift and then it will come out in one piece going forward. The lift was a drive on type of lift. This was all done while the truck was on a lift. I would not want to put this on in the driveway on my back.

The muffler it is 304 SS brushed and is it reversible?Quiet ,Noisy ......... ----------The muffler is reversible I suppose, but there is an end marked as the inlet which is what we used. Noise, well, it sounds like a big block when you get on it. Then has a gentle humm when cruising at 40 mph. On the highway it's really much quieter I thought it would be. No annoying drone, very close to stock. It seems that most of the noise that this system makes is getting up to rpm. Also seems louder under 50 mph. Once you are cuising at say 70 and hit it it's not loud anymore. I like this because my wife will not be reminding me of the noise. But I'll say this, in stop and go, it has a pretty decent rumble, about like I wanted. I guess I'm a little suprised at the sound. After driving this truck for a year, I didn't think it was capable of making that kind of sound and was getting used to the whine.

The fit was good? This is real important to me ....... I don't want to see it ....... Want it tucked up , unlike stock can......-------- Well, the fit was better than I expected. No problems there at all. You can't see it as much as the stock muffler, but you can still see it when you look in the right front fender well. This muffler is about 2/3 the size of the stock units. It's larger than the Magnaflow or Dynomax. It's a big pipe though. It doesn't sound like much going to 4", but it's very noticeable. The v band clamp to the header pipe must be saved and used as well as the pressed-in flange bolts in the intermediate pipe. You will need a vise to press these bolts out and re-use. It's no problem, but really, they could have given us new bolts.

Can you still here the turbo? Mine whistles loud enough I can here it resonate off the Jersey barriers on the interstate .......------------You can still hear the turbo, but it's not as noticeable as before. With the stock pipe, the turbo whine seemed louder. It spools faster, less lag.

I really do not want a noisy irritating sound ........ Noise outside behind me no problem ....... In the cab cruising I'd rather hear the turbo whistle and engine noise ... Is it drowned out is what I would like to know ..........-------------That is the best part of this setup. Yes, you can definitely hear it when you hammer it from a stop, but cruising at highway speeds, it's hardly noticeable. I really like that because I've had loud systems before and they can be annoying. Believe me, this is nice at cruising speeds. Just this afternoon I asked my son to listen as I hammered it in front of the house. He said he didn't think it was any louder than stock. I think he's full of it, at least it's definitely louder in the cab. I rolled my windows down and I could hear it pretty good. It sounds like a nice set of pipes on a big block V8. When I got up to 50 heading toward town, no sound, quiet, just like stock . . . I like that.

The only part we had to change was the 5" polished tip. they weld a big band clamp on it. Looks like s _ it. We cut it off, polished it and welded the tip on the exhaust pipe. Mucho better looking this way. I think Banks can come up with a better setup for this. Granted, some may want to clamp on, but I'd prefer to weld it. That big clamp could collect lots of crud in the winter around here.

Overall, I'm happy with the system. One benefit is that the turbo lag seemed very noticeable before, now it's not. So that a big +. How that will help performance remains to be seen right now.

I guess what this is doing is pushing me closer to the EDGE. I'm getting ready. Just wish Banks would get their downpipe ready soon.

I got two e-mail and a call from some of the guys selling Juice/Edge boxes. Guess I have to make my mind up soon.

I'm going to take some photos of this obnoxiously huge 5" tip. My wife's first comment was " what the hell is that thing?" My son is threatening to see if a football will stick in there.

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
jackschultz@adelphia.net

Putco Stainless Steel Bed Rails • Access Roll-up Tonneau Cover • Pendaliner SR Bed Liner
DTA Stainless Running Boards and Mud Flaps • VentShades • Pop-Lok Rear Tailgate Lock
Lucerix Remote Control X-Mount Camper Mirrors • Unity Dual Door-mount Halogen Spotlights
Air-Lift Super Duty Ride Control w/ Dual Controller & Onboard Compressor • Torsion Bars adjusted 5 turns up
Tekonsha Voyager Trailer Brake Controller • Uniden 510XL PRO CB Radio, Wilson Antenna
Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode • PIAA Platinum Super White Headlight Bulbs
Amsoil 2-Stage Air Filter • FPPF Total Power Diesel Fuel Treatment • FPPF 8+ Cetane Improver
Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic HD Diesel & Marine Engine Oil • Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (GL-5)
Thinking about getting “JUICED” soon since I’m already “over the edge” according to my wife.

mackin
05-30-2002, 16:10
Trader Jack ........

I'll trade you something for some info on your Banks exhaust ...... See above ....... Due you have the capability of grabbing audio with your digital camera ? Would like to hear in cab on the interstate .. Window up window down ...... Let me know what you want to trade .... I doubt I have something you need just a ploy to get some info ...... LOL

MAC :D

On edit disregard .. SOLD .... Thanks alot Tj .........

[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Carli_max
05-30-2002, 16:50
MAC,

Buy it you won't be disappointed !! Don't take their first price. I paid around $610.00 + shipping. Trader Jack described it to a 'T'. Great post TJ !

Tader Jack
05-30-2002, 16:51
Here's some photos I just uploaded to my Yahoo Album. Note -- the truck is dirty and the weld joint on the tip needs to be polished up, but this is what it looks like . . .

DMAXDiva
05-30-2002, 18:20
Hey guys!

Carli_max: You mentioned that you paid around $610 + shipping for your system...is yours a cat-back?
I spoke to a guy w/Banks last week who quoted "$744.44 to my door" for a non-cat system. The brochure quotes $675 + freight for my CC SB. I find it hard to believe that shipping could cost $70, but then I'm no expert in that arena. I'm planning on purchasing this system ASAP, and I really do appreciate your input on price negotiations...every little bit sure does help!

Also, how difficult would it be for some local muffler shop to install this system for me, and what is a fair price for such a job? I've never tackled an exhaust system, I wish I could weld, and besides...I might break a nail! tongue.gif

[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

Tader Jack
05-30-2002, 18:23
Mine was $675 + $34 freight to PA. The freight seemed low, but I'm not complaining.

In my opinion, an exhaust shop would have an easy time. The toughest part is the v band clamp and pressing the old flange bolts out of the intermediate pipe. I really would not want to tackle this myself without a lift to get at things easy. We also cut the end of the tailpipe off since thy make them the same for dualies and it sticks out too far. It all depends on what type of an exhaust shop you are going to. Some of those places can be good and some can be . . . well, pretty bad.

I went to a local guy (Tim Tobin's Edinboro Exhaust) who has a custom stainless exhaust shop that he does in the evenings and weekends. Does lots of custom stuff for older, classic and hot rods, vans, trucks, rv's etc. Tim said I could hang around and help him if I wanted. It took 2 hours total time to remove and install with lots of bs-ing while we were doing it. Cost me $50. He's going to do my wife's suv with his own custom 304 stainless system in two weeks.

[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: Tader Jack ]</p>

motovet
05-30-2002, 18:55
Thanks for all the info Jack! The address did not work for me though.

DMAXDiva
05-30-2002, 18:56
Thanks Jack...

Wish I lived closer; I'd head for Tobin's shop! Guess I'll have to make the 100 mile trip to Houston to find someone. Down here in "Podunkville" there are no decent shops... :(

BMDMAX
05-31-2002, 07:32
Hey Trader,

What are the flange bolts re-used for? I have a 2002 CC SB with the Banks exhaust and there were no bolts to re-use on my install. All the pipe connections were setup to be clamped on my system. Did they change the design or something?

Thanks,
BMDMAX

Tader Jack
05-31-2002, 10:02
The system for my CC/SB #48629 (non catalytic) has a header pipe that connects to the flange pipe. Both of these pipes have a flange on the end where they go together with a gasket between. The factory bolts that are in the stock flange must be pressed out and used. The instructions we received state that. I thought that they should give us new ones, but we followed their instructions. There were no bolts included, although their diagram does show 4 bolts and nuts. It was really no big deal.

Also the factory v-band clamp must be reused. I can't complain about that though either. The fitment with all the hangers, etc. was excellent. Tim Tobin, who installed for me said that when he welds his own, he welds the hangers on last. He was surprised at how well it all went together.

The only thing I would change is the band clamp on the end tip. I'd make the end slits shorter on the tip and make it so it fits tighter to the tailpipe. It's actually about 1/4" bigger than the tailpipe. It would have been a bit easier to weld on like we did that way.

But really, I have no complaints, it fit fine.

Diesel to the MAX
05-31-2002, 10:27
All righty! You all talked me into getting me one of them 4" exhaust systems. :D

My question is this; will any 4" system work, ie. can I take my truck to my local exhaust guy (who I think does a great job, FWTW) and tell him I want a 4" system, or would it be better to buy the banks system and take it to him to install?

What do you all see as to the pro's and cons of either?

(Am I asking to many questions? :D :D :D )

Thanks in advance

Warren

MGM
05-31-2002, 10:39
What gives? my 4" Banks on my ex. cab s.b. also had no flanges!just all clamped together in one smooth operation. Seems like flanges would be more expensive,heavier,and more work to install,whats the point?

Carli_max
05-31-2002, 11:23
DMAXDiva,

Mine is a CC SB, no Cat. I just told him give me you best price or I will buy from another vendor, and that I had been shopping! I think he knocked off 10% I don't recall my shipping being $70.00 either. Good Luck!! I really like the system. Sounds great, turbo spools up way faster, and egt's are much lower. Really compliments the Juice box!!

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: Carli_max ]</p>

DMAXDiva
05-31-2002, 13:04
Thanks Carli_max!

Yep, the exhaust is first in a list of mods in anticipation of "juicing" my lil' gal. Pyrometer and boost guage get installed week of 6-10, then she's ready for the squeezer! Can't wait! :D

Oh, and by the way, thanks to your input, I was able to get 10% knocked off the price of the Banks system, but they will still charge nearly 70 bucks for shipping...go figure :confused: .
Anyway, thanks so much for your info!

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

Alli-max
05-31-2002, 20:49
I always have to chime in here to you "sell outs" :D :D

Why not the Kennedy Exhaust? Is it because you the Banks name? I guess I just dont get it. This is exhaust, not rocket science. Make it free flowing, and make it fit. That is REALLy about it. Mine was the FIRST ext. cab Long Box he did, and it fit like one of those FINE STANCO S850 Elkskin Welding Gloves! :D Right SoMn??

John is a HUGE contributor here. Scratch his back and he will scratch yours....

(Alli is now officially off his soapbox)

sambo
05-31-2002, 21:42
I had a 4" installed on my truck, a crew cab dually and i dont like it its to loud. I even put a different muffler on that is about 3 1/2 feet long and it still has a rumble. I live in ft-worth tx if anyone would like to swap their stock exhaust for my 4" i would make them a great deal. The muffler shop that installed it for me threw the old one away after one day, so I am out of luck getting mine back. You can e-mail me at hodgefdi@aol.com

alamovet
05-31-2002, 22:05
I have to agree with Alli-Max...I installed the Kennedy exhaust and love it. I have learned so much from JK's posts and from phone calls where he patiently answered my questions.

Banks? I think that the people that jump for their product are thinking of the gains obtained on a Cummins or Powerjoke engine with the whole turbocharger, intake, chip, etc. upgrade that costs around three thousand bucks. Furthermore, I'm comfident that JK has forgotten more about Chevy diesels than Banks will ever know. After all, they aren't just dedicated to Chevy Diesels...instead they are scrambling to make products for everything else out there and can't dedicate their time to one application. I even saw an advertisement recently for a performance upgrade for the Ford Escape!

But in the end, like Allimax said, the only real gain from an exhaust is going to be sound and most importantly, lower EGTs. You will get both from JK or from Banks. I can also assure you that the fit of the JK is OEM - the same probably goes for the Banks unit. I wouldn't buy the Banks system just out of principle...for one, it aggravates me that they would advertise power gains that I know don't exist. Don't give me a bunch of BS, just the facts, mam. This is what I like about JK, he's a straight shooter and doesn't make any false claims. I can also just imagine calling Banks or some other large comapany for product support during intallation, etc., and the headaches that would ensue. When I installed mine, I had a couple of questions and I didn't have to press one for product support, wait on the line for ten minutes, or end up with a fuzzy understanding of the support persons response. Instead I got JK on the phone the minute I called and breezed through the rest of the installation.

In addition, as Alan Jackson would say, I'd rather support the "little man," than a big corporation. As a forum we should try to support each other, especially those that spend hours contributing to it. I guess that maybe I was just born thirty years too late. ;)

Alli-max
05-31-2002, 22:35
Can I get an AMEN brutha!!!

Well said... and... FORD ESCAPE???? Too funny. :rolleyes:

I saw the "gains" they were advertising. I even talked to JK about it, and he kinda chuckled back then.

alamovet
05-31-2002, 22:47
I should be at the Dallas DP meeting tomorrow, barring any emergencies...look forward to putting a face with the "handle."

DMAXDiva
06-01-2002, 06:58
Well, after speaking to a custom exhaust guy yesterday, I've changed my mind about system swapping (hey, it's a woman's prerogative, right?), at least for now. He's gonna install a straight pipe for me next week. If I don't like that, I'll then go with a 4 inch system. I haven't yet ordered from Banks, but I did negotiate the price yesterday. Since I have not ordered, I will most certainly give Mr. Kennedy a call and talk with him about his system. You guys made some valid points about dealing with someone like him vs a large corporation...thanks for the input.

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

alamovet
06-01-2002, 07:08
Yeah we called them the same thing growing up in Holliday, Texas...near Wichita Falls. Seriously though, call Kennedy, you won't be disappointed.

TLA
06-01-2002, 07:13
Amen to both alamovet and Alli-Max. They said it all. I have a Banks on my 97 7.4, and my JK for the 02 is far and away a better product!

DMAXDiva
06-01-2002, 07:19
Hey Alamovet:

I know this is off the subject, but since my hubby and I occasionally travel to San Antonio, I'd sure like to have the name of your clinic in case of emergency. We have a sweet old arthritic Laborador that travels with us, and on our last trip there we ran out of Rimadyl...oops!

Besides, it'd be great to see your truck too! :D

alamovet
06-01-2002, 07:29
Isn't Rimadyl great...Town and Country Veterinary Hospital - 10350 Bandera Road 210-684-1448.

Give me a call if ya'll are in town and I can help your critters in any way

Alli-max
06-01-2002, 10:50
Hey DIVA... you and the hubby driving to Dallas tonight?? Where IN Pineywoods are you? It kinda stretches from Texarkana down to South of Jasper!!!

I'll be leaving here in about 2-3 hours myself...

tmg115
06-01-2002, 14:11
Alli-max

i am going to try to say this with out ofending you or john kennedy but if it sounds loike i am, i am not trying to ofend you at all. so please bear with me.

the reason i would go with banks instead of kennedy is becasue i know what i am getting. i know poeple who have gotten banks and are very happy with there service and system. the products are made very well and it is a big company to were i can complane to if something is wrong and they will fix it. i know because i have had a friend get a bad product and banks worked with him and gave him a new one.

i have no idea who john keneddy is. i don't know what his product is. i don't know any one with his product. i don't know what he would do if i got a bad one. and i don't know what kind of quality to expect. now he could be better than banks or he could be worse but i would rather take my chances with a company who i know has good products and will work with me if there is something wrong. onther thing is i don't know if the people who have his exhaustt are just working for him or are friends of his or anyhting. the point is i just don't know anything about him. and i really don't want to go out of state to met him and find out.

that is how i feel on the subject. and if anyone took offense to that i am very sorry and i didn't mean to offend you but that is how i feel.

tmg115
06-01-2002, 14:12
another thing. tony at banks might be smoking crack with his power numbers but he is very helpfull when i call and gives me pretty good info.

alamovet
06-01-2002, 16:12
Check out JK's website and you'll see step by step, color illustrations on how to install his system from turbo back, all the way to the 5" tailpipe. I haven't seen color, or for thst matter, any pictures on installation on the Banks site. I can assue that that my system is as close to OEM as is available out there.

mackin
06-01-2002, 16:39
alamovet ,

QUOTE:"I can assume that that my system is as close to OEM as is available out there." END QUOTE

You got a system too ........ :D tongue.gif ;) YOU SELL !!
Hey, can I get some of that Rimadyl ,and some special "K"....
Rimadyl , is it good for hangovers ........? You know that ache don't feel like doing nothing feeling ..... Sorta the same thing ......

Hope this isn't another upcoming closed thread ...... ;)

If it is I got to get in ....... Exhaust, said it before say it again a 4" is a 4" ......... If there is any gain it will be minimal .... Under perfect conditions, I'm sure that's how Banks does it and reports it . I'm sure you will get the same results as JK'S tubes ..... No need to get bitter about it buy what you'll all want ..... Banks does have an outstanding reputation. Been around a long time ...... JK is here and I assure you he wants you to be happy nothing could be worse if you were not, then showed up here .....Think about it ..... ;) ;)

Some like me, will go with Banks I guess for the name sake ... Just a die hard perhaps ...... I just want the sticker .......And to tell all who ask. Yea it's a BANKS ....... Some will say screw that I'm going with my wallet ......A tube is just a tube ......Well all most ......

MAC :D

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

AzKevin
06-01-2002, 17:51
I have to hand it to Banks' design approach. It's a system level design not component. It's not a coincidence they put out a good product, they employ engineers to design and test. That's a big difference to many available exhaust systems out there.

That's not to say a garage shop couldn't build an exhaust system as aftermarket exhaust systems are abundant, rather there is an increased risk for added noise, vibration, and harshness which are important to most drivers.

Agreed that the Banks sales team is a bit overzealous in their exhaust system hp/tq claims. I visited a new Banks booth at Camping World the other day and the sales guy had scribbled notes with outrageous gains again. The sales team could use a bit of more credibility.

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: AzKevin ]</p>

tmg115
06-01-2002, 18:18
like i said, i think they are smoking crack when it comes to there power gains.

Diesel to the MAX
06-01-2002, 20:48
Although I'm a "newbie" I have been reading most of the posts in all of the groups here at DP. I have never meet JK, nor have I ever talked to him, but I have yet to hear one bad thing about him or his service he provides.

Also after doing some home work, I can't believe the Banks system can deliver anything more then what JK system can offer the same performance as any other. Also from the posts I have examined, I think JK would back up what ever he sells. If I can

tpitt
06-01-2002, 20:59
Diesel to the Max:
Thats because it would be deleted. Just kidding!
:D I don't plan on using either system. Banks is a lot of B.S. on all of their products, and I personally prefer Advanced Turbo System products. Boy are they spendy though :( I want to go to duals and as far as I know A.T.S. make the best. Just my $.02 tpitt

Diesel to the MAX
06-01-2002, 21:22
tpitt,

alamovet
06-01-2002, 21:26
Mackin,

QUOTE"If it is I got to get in ....... Exhaust, said it before say it again a 4" is a 4" ......... If there is any gain it will be minimal .... Under perfect conditions, I'm sure that's how Banks does it and reports it . I'm sure you will get the same results as JK'S tubes ..... No need to get bitter about it buy what you'll all want ....."

Nobody is bitter here :D ...If you'll read my post you'll see that I couldn't agree with you more, that in most ways, a 4" is a 4"...however, I just disagree on where you are purchasing it...you said in your post to "the Judge" that you yourself are a "successful small business owner," so I would think that you would also want to support another small business owner like yourself...especially one that contributes here on the forum. But as you've said, that's the beauty of America, competition and freedom to choose...I just hope that you're "successful" enough to not have to worry about service after the sale...

You also said "JK is here (on the forum) and I assure you he wants you to be happy nothing could be worse if you were not, then showed up here .....Think about it ....." This just reinforces my point about service after the sale!

QUOTE "Some like me, will go with Banks I guess for the name sake ... Just a die hard perhaps ...... I just want the sticker .......And to tell all who ask. Yea it's a BANKS ......." Like I said before, a Banks what? Intercooler? Turbocharger? Like you and I have both said now, a 4" is basically a 4" ;)

By the way, trust me, you don't want any "special K" or anything like it...you ought to see the horses waking up from it...no thanks...can't see why all those kids out there are taking it. :D :D

P.S. I defended you in your thread from "the Judge"...now that was a bitter man! :eek:

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: alamovet ]</p>

tpitt
06-01-2002, 21:55
Diesel to the Max:
Performance wise I would think you would probably see the same gain from about all of them. The thing I don't like about Banks is their "hype" They tell you that you will get gobs of gains from their products and most of it is just marketing hype. I'm not stating this to be flamed, but this is my opinion of Banks. As for going with the A.T.S. I think I would like the looks of the duals better. When we were at BDs' during the rendezvous I talked to them (BD) and they stated that changing to a 4" exhaust on the Duramax was very little gain. What I do think and its been stated before is that the e.g.t.s will be lower and the turbo will spool quicker. If a person is doing it for "gobs" of power it just isn't there. I have the "juice" on order and want to help all I can to keep the e.g.t.s down. The duals are just a personal preferance. As for product support I have dealt with A.T.S. (I bought 6.2 turbo from them) and BD. I have found them both to be outstanding to deal with.
I'm not saying this to criticize anyone. This is just my personal opinion. tpitt
On edit. Yes A.T.S. is out of Utah. I've actually visited their place a few years ago. Real nice people.

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: tpitt ]</p>

Diesel to the MAX
06-01-2002, 22:41
Terry, first let me say, the only reason I

tpitt
06-01-2002, 22:54
Diesel to the Max:
U.S. Diesel is a part of Gomers. I've also done business with them and am happy with them. I do not know any thing about the Magna flow exhaust systems though.
I would expect about the best gains would probably be at the most no more than about 15 h.p., and all I've got to go by is what I've been told. Like I stated before, I think I would like the looks of the duals, its strictly a cosmetic thing.

tmg115
06-02-2002, 16:28
i have heard of people complaining about john kennedy on other boards. so i guess i am just using caution and going with someone i know for a fact will back up there product. but like i said i have no idea about john keneddy. i have just heard mixed things.

mackin
06-02-2002, 16:35
alamovet ,

Man it is so easy to get a miss read ...... :( I should have been more clear ..... I was only busting you on the MY exhaust like it was a sellers point ...... That's all . I'm sure you got my just on the rest ... To you . Just fooling .......

The bal. of the exhaust post was for the general public .... Not directed at you .... There has been a little to much negativity going on so we all are a little to defensive, and on edge ....... But believe me after the senior thing I'm rereading my posts to double checking to be offensive ...... Thanks for your support on that thread (and to the rest who did) but that's in the past, we all got to move on .....

I agree with your post and I was trying to back it up, not at all say you were bitter . Never thought that at all . I just wanted to clear this up ........

MAC smile.gif

[ 06-02-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

alamovet
06-02-2002, 17:30
Miscommunication on both ends...it's cleared up on my end too.

Thanks for the reply.

Kennedy
06-02-2002, 22:38
If one were to dissect a dyno run, there MAY well be a 30+ HP advantge in a 4" exhaust, but that would likely be at an off the wall RPM during the onset of the power curve.

If one were to dissect the Juice dyno runs, I think you'd find that 90HP is a relatively conservative number and there are points of much higher gain as well.

TMG115,

Believe what you want, but the things you hear come from a certain individual with an axe to grind with the DP and myself. I don't claim to be perfect, but I certainly try to do well. I have had a few hiccups along the way, and I think YZF1R could tell you of 3, YES THREE incorrect pipes he rec'd from me for his exhaust system. Now all is well in his case, and the mislabeling is corrected. There were about 5 or 6 other such instances before the error was corected, and from what I gather all are happy with how things were handled. Also, for the record, my system was designed in house, and the production/shipping is farmed out so I seldom actually see an exhaust system unless it is for an install.

Remember, when you hear something bad, there's TWO SIDES to every story...

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

Tader Jack
06-03-2002, 05:48
I just added some new photos with the Banks system installed Sunday. It does look good and I love the sound. For those who want manuals, photos, instructions, they are all up on Banks' web site. They have complete step by step instructions (with photos) for every product they sell in Acrobat PDF format. They are exactly the same as the instruciton manuals you receive when you buy. It's at --

http://www.bankspower.com/ownersmanuals/home.htm

My reason for Banks was (1) stainless (2) reputation (3) true downpipe is coming from them (4)other future enhancements. Really, I live in PA and would not take stainless off and put something else on because of the salt factor. It had to be stainless, or I would not put it on.

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
jackschultz@adelphia.net

hoot
06-03-2002, 06:07
I saw Kennedy's exhaust at the 2001 Rendezvous. I must admit, the bending quality was beautiful. Almost no distortion at all. And I believe they were prototype pieces.

Carli_max
06-03-2002, 07:17
I guess I don't understand why people have to chime in with their comments on how we should spend our money!! I'm a big boy and I think I know how to make a decision on which exhaust system to buy! I bought the Banks system after I gave JK a shot. The bottom line is that I felt I got more for my hard earned buck at Banks. Don't mis-understand me, John seemed like a great guy, and I would have liked to do buisness with him, it's just the Bank's system seemed more right for me!! Hard Facts : JK's quote was $575.00 for an aluminized system as compared to $610.00 for stainless with Bank's. I felt that I was getting more by spending only $35.00 more ! I told John that his system would be a better buy at under $500.00. Hey no big deal, I'm sure the guy can't hate me for that kinda of decision! But who are you people to classify me and anyone else that buys something from someone other than JK, as a 'SELL OUT'?? These types of slams have no place on this forum!! :mad:

hoot
06-03-2002, 08:06
I agree, you buy what you like and what you have had the best experience with.

As far as aluminized -vs- stainless.....

All depends on what type of stainless you are getting. If it's 304 than yes, that's the way to go. If it's 409 well, the industry is looking for an alternative to 409 because it's really not as durable in salt as you may think. It's adulterated to allow easier manufacturing.

I don't think you'll get a difference in life -vs- the two in very salty conditions.

I'm not stating this stuff to back anyone up. I have the original exhaust on my truck with a piece of aluminized welded in as the straight pipe so in the future I'll be able to back up what I'm saying.

I believe 304 stainless is the best material. Now go price that stuff out in a complete setup. Did I hear $900-$1000+?????

Examples.....

ATS $895
....$1295 dual tail pipe

Check this ball and socket joint system in full 304 stainless
http://www.pilotautomotive.com/nr1.htm

Unless they state 100% 304 stainless, you have to ask cause a lot of people are getting duped thinking all stainless is the same.

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Kennedy
06-03-2002, 08:27
I've pursued the 409 SS route, and my bender knows as well as I that the difference isn't worth adding another material to the inventory. I also looked into the 304 idea, and will continue to pursue it, but fact is, it is a lot harder on the machines and dies...

tmg115
06-03-2002, 08:39
well put Carli_max. i feel the same way. i think the banks sounds right for ME. i9 i don'y like it when people tell me diferent. after all i am one stuburn sob.

Diesel to the MAX
06-03-2002, 09:11
To All:

This weekend I measured my existing exhaust system. Although I only used a measuring tape it measured around 3-3/4 of an inch. Does a

Kennedy
06-03-2002, 09:21
The factory system is 3.5"

From what I have seen, NOBODY offers any plumbing to attach directly to the turbo as of yet. MOST systems start at the Vee clamp alongside the bell flange which is 3" diameter.

Diesel to the MAX
06-03-2002, 09:41
John:

I

tmg115
06-03-2002, 09:59
in my eyes i think it is worth it. it lower egt's, it gives a good sound and it will spool up the turbo faster.

hoot
06-03-2002, 10:38
"Agreed that the Banks sales team is a bit overzealous in their exhaust system hp/tq claims. I visited a new Banks booth at Camping World the other day and the sales guy had scribbled notes with outrageous gains again. The sales team could use a bit of more credibility."

If the claims are dishonest than I would have to question the company's honesty in other areas.

DMAX Daddy
06-03-2002, 16:05
Link to Banks Web Site discussing this:

http://www.bankspower.com/FNN/Banks_FridayNight_041202-2.html

They 'officially' claim 18HP and 30ft/lbs of Torque. Whether its realistic or not is hard to tell.

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: DMAX Daddy ]</p>

DMAXDiva
06-03-2002, 16:54
Guys:

Please toss me some feedback regarding the 4 inch system as compared to simple straight piping. My main concern is improved flow as well as lowered EGT's (and I admit that improved exhaust note is also important!).

Will I accomplish this sufficiently by simply straight-piping the 3.5" stock system? I'll be installing pyro and boost guages next week in anticipation of adding "Juice", but I need to know whether the planned modifications will be sufficient. If I need to, I will certainly go with a 4 inch system...I just need a little coaching!

Thanks for your input, guys...y'all are terrific! ;)

YZF1R
06-03-2002, 17:17
I too feel you should get what ever system you want. 4" is 4". Of course, it has to fit right. Frankly, I'm sure that most of the exhaust suppliers that are into diesels have a good system.

From my own experience I happened to purchase a system from JK. Several reasons for me. One, the 409 stainless is less than what most think. The system is not going to look or have the quality of the piping in a milking parlor. Two, as an ex-trucker I liked the band clamps. And they are stainless. Don't know what kind, but from experience I know regular ones don't last. I guess because they are so thin. Three, I am relatively new here and I always noticed John Kennedy's advice seemed right on the money for a given topic. Boost pressure, pipes, what different ways of fueling your engine for performance do, etc.

Yep, three times the one pipe was the wrong one. (From the bender, not John.) On the forth time we got it right. Let me say John MORE than made up for my hassle.

Please, I'm not trying to start a flameing war. This was my experience and why I chose to buy what I did. I just want to be sure nobody is being treated wrongly. John, Banks, A.T.S. or anybody.

In closing, I am completly satisfied with my system and the support I recieved from Kennedy Diesel. I'm sure most of you too feel the same way about who you purchased or will purchase your system from.

Steve smile.gif

stretch
06-03-2002, 17:34
I'm going to chime in with my personal experience with 409. I have a SLP 409 stainless on my gasser and after 1 year it shows a considerable amount of surface rust. I guess this is why GM uses 409 with aluminizing. IMHO 409 raw is not better than aluminized steel. My GUESS is the longevity will be similar. 304 on the otherhand should be lifetime but costs a small fortune.

Mic
06-03-2002, 18:11
My opinion....

Straight piping for me, lowered my EGTs by a range of 90-140 degree Fahrenheit.
And my opinion again, tburbo 'feels' to spool up faster.

Then I got the Dynomax 4" with the option 4" down pipe option. I notice an additional EGT drop in the range 20-50 degree Fahrenheit better than straight piping the 3.5". (I assume more volume).

I changed for different reasons. Straight pipe was NOT TOO load. I Just wanted MORE volume.

My thoughts 1$ less 98cents

--Mic

gregmican
06-03-2002, 21:01
Mic, I was thinking about purchasing the Dynomax exhuast system. How do you like it? How does it sound? Please give me some feedback, I would sure appreciate it, and thanks again.

Mic
06-04-2002, 05:20
I like it alot.

Sound is a good rumble. Somewhere between stock and a straight pipe.

EASY install!!!! :cool:

Would do it all over again if I had a chance.

It did get rid of my slight resonance at 1800rpms, I had with the 3.5" straight pipe.

Definitely get the 4" down pipe, its worth it!!
:D

--Mic

gregmican
06-04-2002, 16:53
Thanks Mic,
One more question, what does the chrome tip look like, I have been searching for a pic of this system but can't find one. Can you describe it? Thanks again

Mic
06-04-2002, 19:20
Thought they had a pick on the site...?

Well its Polished chrome
4" round to start .....then along a 12" length it goes into form a rectangular slash cut, with DynoMax enscribed on top.

Mic
06-04-2002, 19:21
Thought they had a pick on the site...?

Well its Polished chrome
4" round to start .....then along a 12" length it goes into form a rectangular slash cut, with DynoMax enscribed on top.

:D