PDA

View Full Version : Juice box great but some questions

madmax7
05-25-2002, 18:08
I love what the juice does (fast as hell and pulls like no other) but am a little concerned.

First of all, when I put the box on level "0" (factory stock) it seems as if though the truck still has more than stock power.

I also noticed that after a long day (towing 7500#trailer 3 hours up hills) then another 4-5 hours of empty highway driving, the truck seemed to smoke quite a bit. When cruising along, if I pushed the throttle, a billow of black smoke would come out. After the engine cooled down, when I started blue smoke came out. I also notice it's harder to start with the Juice plugged in. I tried it on level 2 and 4, both cases smoke.
I unplugged the box, started up, some smoke, then cleaned up and back to it's old smokeless self.

Any ideas on what might be happening? What is black smoke? What is blue smoke? Is this occurence bad or harmful to the motor?

I have egt and boost gauges installed. EGT never saw more than 1200F.

Please help! :eek:

mackin
05-25-2002, 21:29
madmax7 ,

No expert here and it's not my truck, but smoke is seen in a diesel black grayish. It means your rich and getting some fuel in there. Rich is good to an extent, lean will it will run cooler EGT'S ....... Blue is normally oil but it could be the quality of fuel your buying or just normal exhaust color. Who is to say but you ..... If something was wrong mechanically with your truck it wouldn't go away when you remove the box ....... Most people I talk to including me have seen more smoke running this box ...... I for one am not concerned.

Default mode, is there one? Not sure most are having problems with that and EDGE is working with couple people on it ..... Something about cycling the tow haul on and off in REV with engine off. Not sure ..... You want to see smoke check this out ......http://onramp.uscom.com/~hoot/cars/buckmovies5-18-02/DSCN1509.MOV

Courtesy of "HOOT"

MAC :D :D

[ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

KevinK
05-26-2002, 07:38
I'm not an expert either, but a diesel is just the opposite of a gasser. Running overfueled (rich) means high EGTs, running underfueled (lean) means lower EGTS. Black smoke is very common with fueling boxes, especially at low boost. The fueling box will dump in more fuel than there is air to burn it. When you start having EGT problems is when you are overfueling at high boost. EGTS will go through the roof. As long as you're not pouring out black smoke at max boost, you should be fine.

Kevin

mackin
05-26-2002, 12:48
Well then I stand corrected ....... I'm going to edit . Wouldn't want to be missleading ..
MAC :D

madmax7
05-26-2002, 14:13
Great! Thanks for the help. Since I have an EGT gauge, I keep an eye on what is going on. EGT's are very controllable. I took the box off part way through my trip, and couldn't stand how hard the truck labored going up inclines. Plugged the box back in and flew up all the hills. EGT's were barely higher with the Juice than stock EGT's.
Actually, the Juice makes it much more driveable (uder tow) than stock configuration. :D