PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Pulled or Hauled with "Juice" or others?

IndigoDually
05-25-2002, 18:26
Everyone is talking about seat of the pants feel and tire smokin', patch layin' performance, BUT ...

Has anyone used any of these boxes in real world, practical uses? Towing trailers or hauling a significant load in the truck? I'd like to race around and I'd like to have the use of the additional power when towing. If it codes and limps than it is kinda worthless.

John

madmax7
05-25-2002, 19:39
I have towed a 7500# travel trailer up mountains here in AZ. From 2800' to about 7000'. The difference between stock and the Juice is night and day. EGT's are very manageable and no codes were set.
I was seeing black smoke though. I have a thread started that I hope someone will help me with.
"Juice great but some questions"

JEBar
05-25-2002, 19:40
couldn't agree more...used to love to get on it at a red light as much as anyone but no longer (spinning tires = $ out of my pocket way sooner than necessary) .... have decided to wait on latest model of Duromaximizer for that reason..glad the others here have found the product they like, just hope I will be as happy with mine :D

Maverick
05-25-2002, 22:36
I am still waiting for Kennedy to send me my gauges so I haven't had mine on full time yet. I did try the box Kennedy had at the renedvous on my truck. The CAT scale ticket said 23,000 gross and the box made a huge difference. Had on #4 setting. This thing pulls hard at 23,000lbs. Still waiting for gauges so I can really put this thing to work.

Kennedy
05-26-2002, 09:52
The only load I have towed so far was a 96 1500 EC short on a car trailer. That should put me at 15k combined. In a 1/4 mile (level 4) acceleration test, I saw just a bit over 1000

IndigoDually
05-26-2002, 11:41
Kennedy, Which box are you using? By what means does it increase power? Does it adjust injection timing and duration or rail pressure?

John

MaxDMax
05-28-2002, 05:18
I just took a 650-mile trip pulling our 36.5' toybox 5th wheel with the Juice added. The trailer was around to 13,100lbs. The total gross including all the extra stuff we hauled was around 21,600lbs. The juice made a huge difference on the hills. It pulled most in 5th and shifted down to 4th very few, this was not the case last week on the same hills. The first and last 100 miles of the trip are getting out and in the mountains where we live. The juice gave no more 3rd gear on the 5 or 6 hills where I had to use 3rd before, and with the most gross weight we have been loaded with so far. Fuel milage was also up 2 mpg from my last 5 trips without the juice. I used the #2 setting the complete trip. I notice a little fishbite when I slowed down on the curvyier 4 lanes on cruise at around 55 to 65. I never noticed it at all above or below this speed.

LarryM
05-28-2002, 07:24
MaxDMax:

Thanks for the info! That was the most definitive post about practical applicaion of a "box" yet. Exactly the kind of info I've been waiting to see.

I'm curious if you have had any updates done to your truck yet?

Tractorhauler
05-28-2002, 07:24
Indigo,

Just got back from Black Hills using Juice for first time towing a 8500# 5th. Very minimal downshifting and no 3rd gear at all. I was never going slower than I desired. Love this thing so far but it has only been a week. I cant wait to use it on a 23K trip.
No gliches or problems of any kind.

Mark

Kennedy
05-28-2002, 11:05
Indigo,

Depends what day of the week you catch me. I may have the TTS reflash, the Juice, the special version of the VA box from TS, the Dynomite or the Duramaximizer in place OR a combination...

Currently, I've been running the Juice to get better acquainted with it.

The LATEST version has a VERY nifty programming confirmation! Simply shift (engine idling) from P-R-N-R-P and when placed back in park, it will give a quick burst or twitch in the idle equal to the level it is set at. Ie: 2 (default) = vroom, vroom, etc

ALL boxes will be updatable to this feature.

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

stretch
05-28-2002, 14:58
John,
I was just about to post a suggestion about having some sort of comfirmation of setting - led's, flashing indicator light, etc. When did this LATEST programming come out ? I only got my dose of "Juice" last Friday !!!! :eek: I feel violated !!!! I WANT comfirmation too, WAH WAH WAH :( ( :D )
Nevertheless, Now my truck runs like an anally violated ape but it still will not break the tires loose from a standstill without powerbraking it, then it spins, grabs and spins some more going into second, then grabs for good. Would you consider this normal ? I'm not complaining just curious. I put on 600 miles over the weekend with it and its definetly a bargain for the amount of performance increase. Not that it was loaded heavy, but even with 1000 lbs of cargo in it, it just flat out hauls butt. :D

mackin
05-28-2002, 15:06
stretch,

Not to butt in but , the 2500 I put my first box in (60 hp ) would bust them loose no problem of the line no brake stand (stock rubber)........ HHHMMMMM perhaps you should try to reset your oil light again in OD ......

MAC :D :D

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

stretch
05-28-2002, 15:45
Big Mack,

I don't consider that buttin' in. Any and all suggestions are appreciated :D I guess I have to go back out and play some more. Life sucks ;)

Kennedy
05-28-2002, 16:05
Stretch,

AFAIK, I just hit the timing right, and all new releases from Edge are sporting this feature.

With any luck, in the not too distant future, programming will be accessible at the dealer level. Having this ability will allow the dealers to handle things in a much more timely manner than if one were to send them all to Edge. This will be where good customer service will shine!

motovet
05-29-2002, 00:12
Towed for the first time this weekend with the EZ Amp/Juice. Used level 2 with tow/haul the entire time towing 10,000#. My experience was already covered by MaxDMax, holds gears in most any condition, power to spare, and improved mpg's. I also have a bit of the surging fishbite thing that should get addressed this week I was told. I will say to all out there, be carefull towing with this set up on wet roads,she will break loose, even at speed. Sooo veerry happy with this set up!

MaxDMax
05-29-2002, 04:24
LarryM
I have looked a couple of times on the GM site for updates for my truck but I have not seen anything that makes me want to take a chance on any updates. I have had no updates done so far.