PDA

View Full Version : Bio-Diesel

Zap
05-26-2002, 12:54
I have been reading about Bio-Diesel and Straight Vegetable Oil being used as fuel. Most of the vehicles that seem to be using it are older model VWs. From what I'm getting is that it can damage certain seals and hoses. The up side seems to be quieter and smother operation. It is also suppose to clean the entire system and lubricate better. I don't have any commercially available in my area and I don't think I want to make my own, however I was wondering if using 10-20% pure vegetable oil bought from the store would give any benefits with out any drawbacks, except for price of course in the DMAX. I guess it would almost be like using an additive. What do you guys think?

56Nomad
05-26-2002, 15:56
Hey Zap,

Try olive oil.... its healthier! :D

Biodiesel6.6
05-26-2002, 19:34
Zap,
If you run any unprocessed veggi oil through the Duramax your looking for trouble! The engine is not designed to burn veggie oil. If the veg-oil is processed to make Biodiesel that is fine. I,m running a blend of B80, 80% Biodiesel and 20% diesel. When the theps fall below 30F I run a B20 blend. I think this is the best type of fuel to run, and it can have it's problems. Plugging the fuel filter in cold weather if the blend in not correct. I have a plentiful supply. The engine sounds like a gasser, QUIET and smells like popcorn. You will see more of the B20 blend at the pump within the next year or two because of lower sulfer in diesel. Several web sites sell Biodiesel as additives. Do a search there out there.

madmax7
05-26-2002, 21:49
I found this web site:

http://www.hemp-cyberfarm.com/htms/hemp-products/bio-diesel/bio-diesel.html

Very interesting. I wonder if you can smoke it also!?

Biodiesel6.6, where do you get your plentiful supply? Why not use Bio-D only? Why the mix?

Biodiesel6.6
05-27-2002, 18:05
Madmax
Biodiesel has a flashpoint of just over 300F, diesel is about 150F, The Duramax has indirect injection, just before TDC the cumbustion starts because of the low flash of diesel. Biodiesel needs a small amount of diesel to work with the indirect injection design. Direct injection there is no problem. I could use B100, but there would be a slight loss in preformance. I found the B80 blend works best in themps obove 40F.
I hope I explained the direct/indirect injection correctly.

I make Biodiesel!

This site has lots of info on BD and SVO
http://biodiesel.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=cfrm&s=465094322

NutNbutGMC
05-27-2002, 18:17
^.....LMFAO.. You guys beat me to all of the fun punch jokes..... Dang it !!! :D

Idle_Chatter
05-27-2002, 20:50
Biodiesel6.6, I think that biodiesel is a waycool idea and I'd like to experiment with it myself if I wasn't working 16 hour days and migrating all over the country every few months (but that's another story). However, I don't believe that the DMax is indirect injection. I know for certain that my 6.5 was, I've seen the injection "cups" with the flame slot in 6.5 heads. But isn't the DMax direct injection (with pilot injection)? Injecting before TDC is just injection timing and doesn't qualify as "indirect" injection unless there's a chamber where the injector fires instead of right into the piston top. :confused:

Biodiesel6.6
05-28-2002, 17:43
Idle
Your correct on the direct injection.I get the two mixed-up. To many other things on my mind.
O well :rolleyes:

Spoolin'It
05-28-2002, 20:18
Zap,

I had been doing alot of research on biodiesel since I used to work for a diesel fuel system OEM. From what I have found, 20% and lower concentrations of biodiesel cause no problems in most diesel system. The gov't and some major fleets have been using it for years now. If you have an older system with buna-nitrile seals and hoses there's a good chance of leaks if you go above 20% biodiesel. Newer systems (early 90's and above) have mostly Viton seals to deal with problems from low sulfur fuels. Viton gets along well with biodiesel in most applications from what I have read. Check out www.biodiesel.org, there is alot of information there about it.
I know as soon as B20 becomes commercially available in my area I'll be running it.

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: Spoolin'It ]</p>