PDA

View Full Version : What effect will the "Juice" have on engine longevity?

6X
05-28-2002, 17:01
What do you think the effect of the Edge "Juice" will be on how many miles we will be able to get from our engines? With the increase in horsepower, torque, and rpms, using the juice, are we shortening the life of the Dmax?

dmaxstu
05-28-2002, 17:42
6x that is a good question I don't think all that power comes for free after the outlay for the box.
I would like to know the same thing. Stu

Alli-max
05-28-2002, 17:48
million dollar question. Same thing with Propane, nobody really knows. Look at it logically though. It obviously cant help, but that doesnt mean it will decrease the life of your engine by x%.

Engines rolling off the assembly line at the same time (hence the 6.6L we have) will all have similar, but different life expectancies. Its just a fact. So, with that, you cant really tell what the adverse effects will / can be.

Sorry, but that is about as close as you will see to an answer!

Conclusion: Go ahead and get one, and some propane as well... :D :D

stretch
05-28-2002, 18:49
I don't think the actual box will adversly affect longevity BUT the associated driving style will. Logic says if you have the power, you will use it. How often and to what extent will dictate driveline longevity. Like Alli said, I don't think there is a set number. One thing for sure though, carrying a steel bridge-like structure on the front of your truck will definetly detract from longevity. I don't know what's worse... ;)

mackin
05-28-2002, 19:06
=======> "JUICE" <========== smile.gif

=======> "JUICE'N <========= tongue.gif

=======> "BOOZE'N" <======== :D

=======> "JUICE'N & "BOOZE'N" ======> :eek:

=======> MODERATION <======== :mad: :mad: :mad:

MAC :rolleyes:

Alli-max
05-28-2002, 19:14
stretch.. its not a bridge. Its a balcony. And, to tell you the truth, you wouldnt believe the decrease in people who pull out in front of me now. It only weighs ~ 300 pounds anyhow.

Mackin... That reply was soooo you. Gotta somehow catch up with you someday :D :D

I can see it now... me ridin' with Mackin or peanut or (please help me Lord if the do away with the speed limiter) Nutnbutgmc....

"Sorry about the permanant fingernail marks in your dash!"

By the way Nutn... When I was in Eat Pa this last week, I DID have a mini van for a rental. I hit a little over 100 mph on a turnpike and SERIOUSLY thought about you.. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

NutNbutGMC
05-28-2002, 19:21
^....LMFAO.... :D :D .... I told ya' that mini-vans rule... I'll pee my pants when JK gets me a rev limiter set for 5000 RPM. I'll drive all the way to Mac's house, just to blow the doors off of Mack Daddy's juiced up, joy ride. tongue.gif
Don't worry about the fingernail marks. I'll get mdrag to make me a replacement dash cover with some type of enclosed electronic gadget. :cool:

When mine breaks or wears out, I'll get another one. :eek: :eek:

Tader Jack
05-28-2002, 19:48
I agree with stretch.

Anytime you build or modify something with a motor and wheels, you want to play with it. I know I sure do. Lets face it . . . it's fun! I was asked that question many times about atv's and always came back with the answer that it is related to how many times you "hammer it".

Now I certainly don't think that the Banks Power 4" pipe is going to hurt longevity at all in itself, but my driving style in wanting to hear it more just might. I'll also bet my driving style will increase rear tire wear and actually decrease fuel economy also. All related to my right foot. I can't blame that on anything else.

Just modifying or building it in itself "generally" improves the efficiency. It's how you drive it that relates to longevity.

I'm looking forward to getting my Banks 4" exhaust on tomorrow and I know I'm going to "play with it" a little, or really maybe a lot. I'm one that will eventually go with a performance box, but have not decided if getting "Juiced" is the real answer . . . yet. There are others that will come forward with Duramax performance products before this summer is over.

Most of my friends have Powerstroke or Cummins diesels. I'm the only D-max in the crowd. They have a lot of good input as to what they have done with their trucks and how it has helped or not. And all are looking for good, solid, "everyday" performance that you can use for towing, hauling or just haulin' your a_s around town.

Seems like most react to the Juice like it's for performance "only", racing, not for towing, hauling, etc. That's my initial reaction also. I would rather have less usable "everyday" power than peak power that will cause problems in the long run. If someone could deliver 60 honest, reliable hp with no problems, no hangups, they would have a winner that lots of us would buy. I'm not sure I need or even want 90-120 hp like some claim. They don't give me much confidence in their box, either. Maybe they need to have a "Banks" name on it to gain that confidence from a marketing standpoint.

Let's face it . . . the people building these boxes know some of us will buy them to get "one-up" on the next guy, that's our nature. That's their marketing strategy right now, and it's obviously working. I'm not sure of how many are actually adding them though, since the ones that have them are the most vocal. It's the same guys over, and over. Some have bought one box, then another, and another, and propane, etc. No thank you. It will all shake our before too long, and most of us can save the $$$ and grief from buying performance boxes that are rendered obsolete in two months.

It will be interesting to see what the "hot" performance setup really is by the end of the summer.

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
jackschultz@adelphia.net

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jack_schultz2001/rlst

2001 Chevy Silverado, 4-WD, 2500HD, Crew Cab, Short Box
LT Trim, Black Onyx w/ Tan Leather
Beltronics 980 Radar Detector • Blinder M-10 Plus Laser Radar Jammer
4 Rockford Fosgate FRC2206 Full Range Speakers • Husky Rubber Floor Mats
Lund Interceptor Wind Deflector • J&J Stainless Steel Tube Grill
Putco Stainless Steel Bed Rails • Access Roll-up Tonneau Cover • Pendaliner SR Bed Liner
DTA Stainless Running Boards and Mud Flaps • VentShades • Pop-Lok Rear Tailgate Lock
Lucerix Remote Control X-Mount Camper Mirrors • Unity Dual Door-mount Halogen Spotlights
Air-Lift Super Duty Ride Control w/ Dual Controller & Onboard Compressor • Torsion Bars adjusted 5 turns up
Tekonsha Voyager Trailer Brake Controller • Uniden 510XL PRO CB Radio, Wilson Antenna
Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode • PIAA Platinum Super White Headlight Bulbs
Amsoil 2-Stage Air Filter • FPPF Total Power Diesel Fuel Treatment • FPPF 8+ Cetane Improver
Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic HD Diesel & Marine Engine Oil • Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (GL-5)
Coming soon . . . Banks Power 4” Stainless Monster Exhaust . . . to be installed 5/29/02
Thinking about getting “JUICED” soon since I’m already “over the edge” according to my wife.
------------------------------------------------

Kansas Kid
05-28-2002, 21:50
Like Alli-Max said, it is impossible to put a % on how much engine life you are going to reduce by adding on these performance mods. Its going to reduce it some, there is no arguing that. But the way I look at it is like this. Even with a 90Hp box or propane, the motor is still going to outlast the whole rest of the truck. The way these trucks are built, they will be pretty well worn out after about 150k hard miles. Even if the power adders are taking 100k off the engine life (which it won't), it should still be in much better shape then the truck....

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: Kansas Kid ]</p>