PDA

View Full Version : Are the F*rd / D*dge guys taking notice?

Alli-max
05-28-2002, 19:22
Just curious... I goto their sites every blue moon or so, but was wondering if they are taking notice that the Juice and the Edge are working out for fueling boxes yet.

finally, boxes that work.

mackin
05-28-2002, 19:47
All Has been very SSSSHHHH ...Quiet.... At the other campsites.......At least a month ..... Seen them stop the HEAD bashing on there own ... TOO ....It's been a Non-issue was the quote, I believe .... The majority of the guys on the TDR are descent guys ...... I don't hang at the Ford camp.. No interest ,sorry , no offence ......

Couple blips now and again ... Nothing serious ... Last one I saw they refereed our diesel to, well the sound, as a gasser with "NOISY LIFTERS" ...... No biggie ......It was deep in a post, non D-MAX .... No mention of the JUICE BOX, no where, that I've seen .....

MAC smile.gif

Tader Jack
05-28-2002, 20:09
There are still many of us who are not convinced that the Juice is really the answer, yet. Lots of unanswered questions for everyday use that have not been answered or tested.

(This is from a post I made in another thread).

Seems like most react to the Juice like it's for performance "only", racing, not for towing, hauling, etc. That's my initial reaction also. I would rather have less usable "everyday" power than peak power that will cause problems in the long run. If someone could deliver 60 honest, reliable hp with no problems, no hangups, they would have a winner that lots of us would buy. I'm not sure I need or even want 90-120 hp like some claim. They don't give me much confidence in their box, either. Maybe they need to have a "Banks" name on it to gain that confidence from a marketing standpoint.

Let's face it . . . the people building these boxes know some of us will buy them to get "one-up" on the next guy, that's our nature. That's their marketing strategy right now, and it's obviously working. I'm not sure of how many are actually adding them though, since the ones that have them are the most vocal. It's the same guys over, and over. Some have bought one box, then another, and another, and propane, etc.

No thank you. It will all shake our before too long, and most of us can save the $$$ and grief from buying performance boxes that are rendered obsolete in two months, when the next "new wonder" comes out. The last I checked, no one is paying me because I'm running a certain box, or I am running "faster" than before.

Nothing is verified . . . all lots of hype and plenty of bs. Have you ever heard of someone who it didn't work out for . . . nnoooo. Not in these forums. Everything is perfect in this world.

These are "everyday" trucks used by "everyday" people, who are looking for good "everyday" performance that might be a little better than the next guy. I'm not going to be eager to "bless" any box as the answer just yet. After talking to many Dodge and Ford guys, they all feel the same way about their truck's performance. No one wants anything radical at all.

It will be interesting to see what the "hot" performance setup really is by the end of the summer . . . or rather "whose" brand of juice will we be drinking then?

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
jackschultz@adelphia.net

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jack_schultz2001/rlst

2001 Chevy Silverado, 4-WD, 2500HD, Crew Cab, Short Box
LT Trim, Black Onyx w/ Tan Leather
Beltronics 980 Radar Detector • Blinder M-10 Plus Laser Radar Jammer
4 Rockford Fosgate FRC2206 Full Range Speakers • Husky Rubber Floor Mats
Lund Interceptor Wind Deflector • J&J Stainless Steel Tube Grill
Putco Stainless Steel Bed Rails • Access Roll-up Tonneau Cover • Pendaliner SR Bed Liner
DTA Stainless Running Boards and Mud Flaps • VentShades • Pop-Lok Rear Tailgate Lock
Lucerix Remote Control X-Mount Camper Mirrors • Unity Dual Door-mount Halogen Spotlights
Air-Lift Super Duty Ride Control w/ Dual Controller & Onboard Compressor • Torsion Bars adjusted 5 turns up
Tekonsha Voyager Trailer Brake Controller • Uniden 510XL PRO CB Radio, Wilson Antenna
Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode • PIAA Platinum Super White Headlight Bulbs
Amsoil 2-Stage Air Filter • FPPF Total Power Diesel Fuel Treatment • FPPF 8+ Cetane Improver
Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic HD Diesel & Marine Engine Oil • Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (GL-5)
Coming soon . . . Banks Power 4” Stainless Monster Exhaust . . . to be installed 5/29/02
Thinking about getting “JUICED” soon since I’m already “over the edge” according to my wife.
------------------------------------------------

mackin
05-28-2002, 20:31
TJ,

I mean to each there own no doubt .......No Juice for you that is totally expectable in my book ... Economically the after market guys are, or can only get the power out of these trucks a few ways ......It is adjustable power ..... I think 20,40,70,90. don't quote me on it ..... I don't believe your willing to yank the engine out and modify it internally ...... Not to mention parts and availability ....... I suppose you could wait for injectors and a bigger turbo .That will carry a HUGE price tag ,and there own problems ....... As far as the early hot boxes . I totally agree had no interest ..... Fuel, Fuel, Fuel ..... Was there base ...... The box that is now out is what all other future upgrades will be based on .......Software , what else could conceivably be different ........ The handhelds that come out will do the same, except won't be left in place ...... I don't like that option for technical reasons discussed here previously ...... Just wondering your thoughts on what you think could be different ......I would like to see others chime in on this too .....Just want to reiterate that I respect your opinion as others do too .......

MAC smile.gif

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

More Power
05-28-2002, 22:06
A BD EZ Amp product review is in the final edit stages. The whole slant of this story is on towing - power, fuel economy, EGT's and powertrain management. A short paragraph on "street performance" is also included.

Should be available soon....

MP

Bart Timothy
05-29-2002, 00:15
Actually, prior to its introduction, there was far more talk about the Juice on the Dodge sites then was ever said here. Edge certainly has a large protion of the Dodge market, with thier's and rebadged boxes they supply. After the Juice's release not much has been said, though. The Ford guys hardly even talk about Edge's "stackable" box for the PSD, let alone about the Juice. In the long run, Edge's Ford box may become their biggest seller because of a deal they cut to supply rebadged boxes for Super Chips.

I wouldn't worry too much about durability issues with the Juice some of you are feeling. I can testify the Juice is pretty thoroughly tested (Edge's Duramax was perminantly strapped down to their dyno for weeks at a time during some test phases), and the first released units are actually quite conservative in programming compared to the hp numbers they've seen during development. The dyno tests I personally witnessed were certainly interesting. One of the first things you notice when pulling into their facility are the dozen or so 50 yard burnout marks on the parking lot from their own truck. The Edge boys are definately performance minded, but are also good business people and wouldn't release a product which will blow engines and trannys without proper cautions expressed to customers first.

I'm not affiliated with Edge in any way other than being a satistfied customer and friend to them since their very earliest days. I drive a Dodge and enjoy coming to your web site to see what's happening in the GM world. If the performance development of the Duramax follows the 24v Dodges, in a couple of years there will be a whole new world for you folks. The 24v Dodges now have to be at 500 drug free rwhp and over 700 with drugs to be noticed at large dyno meets. 400 rwhp trucks are so common they don't get noticed any more at the big meets, compared to a couple of years ago when a truck with that number would have be top dog. Other interesting facts are that almost all the 24v BIG hp daily driver Dodges are now running automatic trannys. Some are pushing low 12 sec ET quarter mile times at 105 to 110 mph, in daily drivers using 4 wheel drive for traction.

Good luck to you all and thanks for letting me share.

Bart

xwing
05-29-2002, 05:11
Yes, to each his own.
People buy trucks for VARIOUS reasons. I daily drive and tow. I want more performance so I can crush the next slob whenever I so decide, but I personally don't want anything "radical"=dangerous.

"I know somebody very close to me" with a Bullydog/Speedzone PowerPlay box for a year, that ups fuel pressure...works GREAT, works NO PROBLEMS, adjusts power in 1/10 of a second by twisting a dial, and documented at dragstrip performance went from 16.46 @ 79.8mph, to 15.1 @ 85.5mph...an honest 60-70 hp at the wheels.
Tows like a dream. No decrease in overall mpg (you aren't flooring it all the time).

Now, considering getting The Edge Juice box because looks like it makes MORE POWER than the PowerPlay. NOT because it makes it "better"...there isn't anything wrong with the PowerPlay! Fearmongering ASIDE, spoken from EXPERIENCE.

Some aren't interested too much in better performance. Some think "If it was good, the Factory would have DONE it." Maybe they think these DMax's are pushed RIGHT TO THE EDGE from the factory, and any increase in performance SIGNIFICANTLY reduces longevity. Most DON'T think that...or better understand the balances between longevity and power. Know how to make your DMax last longer? Make a throttle stop so it only goes 1/2 way down; then act superior with all the extra longevity you THINK you have.
Whatever. That's fine, free country!

BLANKET statements about how "these are Everyday trucks for Everyday people who want Everyday performance" and "ALL the Ford and Dodge people feel the same way" and "NOBODY wants anything radical" are strange...and totally untrue.
I don't want radical, but I guarantee SOME do, and MORE POWER TO THEM!! Lead the way!

Sounds too much like "Dumb down to the Least Common Denominator, everybody be the same" stuff. In the immortal words of Buford T. Justice, of Texas, "You know what that is? It's Communism. Pure and simple Communism."
They even make "Color TV's" these days, and nobody has died from their "RADIATION" yet...
;)

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: xwing ]</p>

Carli_max
05-29-2002, 07:03
Trader Jack,
I also respect your opinion, but if everybody kept waiting for the next latest & greatest, then nobody would ever buy anything!! I suppose your radar detector is now either cheaper than when you first bought it, or has been replaced by something that is better, and possibly cheaper!! Is it obselete? Did you get ripped off?? I don't think so. You did your research and purchased the best product that was available to you at that time, that your budget would allow !! Same with performance upgrades. The guys that purchased the previous generation boxes are still using them and enjoying their benefits! Go ahead 'Live on the Edge' Life's to short to keep waiting!! ;)

R Waller
05-29-2002, 10:48
nope, its a secret every where but here....
could i get you guys with those things to slap a sticker on the window ?? :eek:

Tader Jack
05-29-2002, 18:41
Don't get me wrong, I agree that the Edge is the hot box "right now". But there has not been any real world testing for towing, etc. that bothers me. Also the fact that the transmission issues have not been addressed at all with any of the performance boxes bothers me also. That's why I'm sitting tight and, believe me so are many others out here in the real world.

I would like to see someone come out with a performance system that address all these issues such as the speed limiter, shift points, speedo calibration, etc. Sure, its a separate issue as far as programming, but it needs to be addressed so we can have a good all-around package. We really don't right now.

There are lots of us who would purchase if the performance and transmission issues were both addressed without harming the engine or transmission.

If you guys want to be beta testers for these things, great, go right ahead. I think there are lots of issues that need to be resolved to give everyone confidence before purchasing. Radar detectors are not in the same category as performance boxes, like comparing apples and grapes. None of the detectors will hurt your truck, only your wallet.

And, xwing, those statements are true within my group. Don't say they aren't . . . you are not in our group, that's for sure. I have many Dodge and Ford friends that agree with that within our group. And, yes, we "are" everyday people. Radical statements like you are making are really very stupid. Particularly those like "I want more performance so I can crush the next slob" are very, very immature indeed. Mutual respect is something that creates good relationships. You may want to try it sometime.

I think that tells volumes about where you are coming from. You showed your true colors, now crawl back under that rock again and hide again until it rains.

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
jackschultz@adelphia.net

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jack_schultz2001/rlst

2001 Chevy Silverado, 4-WD, 2500HD, Crew Cab, Short Box
LT Trim, Black Onyx w/ Tan Leather
Beltronics 980 Radar Detector • Blinder M-10 Plus Laser Radar Jammer
4 Rockford Fosgate FRC2206 Full Range Speakers • Husky Rubber Floor Mats
Lund Interceptor Wind Deflector • J&J Stainless Steel Tube Grill
Putco Stainless Steel Bed Rails • Access Roll-up Tonneau Cover • Pendaliner SR Bed Liner
DTA Stainless Running Boards and Mud Flaps • VentShades • Pop-Lok Rear Tailgate Lock
Lucerix Remote Control X-Mount Camper Mirrors • Unity Dual Door-mount Halogen Spotlights
Air-Lift Super Duty Ride Control w/ Dual Controller & Onboard Compressor • Torsion Bars adjusted 5 turns up
Tekonsha Voyager Trailer Brake Controller • Uniden 510XL PRO CB Radio, Wilson Antenna
Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode • PIAA Platinum Super White Headlight Bulbs
Amsoil 2-Stage Air Filter • FPPF Total Power Diesel Fuel Treatment • FPPF 8+ Cetane Improver
Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic HD Diesel & Marine Engine Oil • Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (GL-5)
Banks Power 4” Stainless Monster Exhaust System
Thinking about getting “JUICED” soon since I’m already “over the edge” according to my wife.
------------------------------------------------

POS
05-29-2002, 19:32
Speaking for the Ford guys (I own a 2000 F350 diesel), why should we care?

Not trying to start an argument here, but why should we?

mackin
05-29-2002, 19:48
POS,

I don't think care is the object ... More so to distinguish all the NEGATIVITY and SLANDER that has been put forth ...... Perhaps put it to rest once and for all ... CLOSURE so to speak ........

Now what's up with the POS forum name? Not to start an argument but what is the referral to? Surprised they let you ...... I would of chose WTF my self ...........Or if your angry why not FTW ? ....... Or perhaps DILLIGAF !!!!!!!!!!!!

TM==&gt;"NuttinButGmc"

MAC :D

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Bocephus3
05-29-2002, 19:57
Its hard to notice a Dmax, they're too durn quiet...

Breck
05-29-2002, 21:10
Taking notice of what? The Dodge (24 valve) camp has known about the edge box for some time now. Actually the Cummins powered Dodges,12 valve and 24 valvers have a plethora of power "enhancers".

I guess the answer is: Some Duramax owners have taken notice of Dodges and Fords (not stock) out running them and have looked for ways to try to even out the playing field.

As Bart mentioned before, in a few years the Dmax will have a lot of options as well.

On a side note: Reading this board is much like reading the TDR a few years ago (98) when the "new" 24 valve came out and everyone was looking for the newest power box etc.

Carli_max
05-30-2002, 05:50
Jack,
You boys can correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told by Aaron at edge that this box senses transmission slip and reduces power when that situation happens. If thats not addressing a transmission issues than what do you call it?? Also, what exactly is the REAL WORLD. I tow a bobcat and dump trailer(9000lbs) on a regular basis, as well as a 6000lb boat. No egt problems! I don't beat my truck, but I don't baby it either! What is different about your world than mine? I have never set a code, stock or with the juice! I'm not trying to pick on you, or your opinions, it's just that you make generalized comments that are not 100% correct. BTW, you should change you signature, it says that you want to get Juiced, and thats not what I get from your posts! ;)

POS
05-30-2002, 19:51
In reply,

"POS" refers to a 1998 Tahoe I bought. I finally got rid of my 1985 Bronco for a new leather-bound Tahoe in 1998. The first two weeks I owned it, it stayed in the Chevy shop for a tranny issue. When my father bought me a pinstripe job for my birthday, I had the pinstriper write "POS" on the tailgate in small letters. The tranny problems never did get fixed.

Eventually I sold it for a 1999 Z-71, but I kept the name on a bunch of forums. And yes, I use "POS" on the Ford-Diesel forums too (I'm not all that brand loyal - whoever makes the best at the time is the truck that I'll buy).

Lone Eagle
05-31-2002, 21:10
It sure is refreshing to see all the brands talking togeather without the bashing. I don't think there is a DMAX driver here that doesn't have good frinds and relatives driving the other brands. My son drives a Cummins and I think it is a good truck. I was set to buy one when the DMAX came along. Later! Lone Eagle :D